UKBouldering.com

Leaving draws in routes and situ draws (split from Chee Dale conditions thread) (Read 106603 times)

abarro81

• forum hero
Yeah, it wouldn't be particularly justifiable - it is, after all, fine to strip everything on NB without reverse stripping - just me being honest about what I suspect I might realistically be doing if I had a proj I was going on 3x per week on there and the weather were dreamy like it was a few weeks back. The big traverses in the roof are quite different - so Freakshow is no different to Mandela, but is v different to North Buttress or Directisima

p.s. stu is an idiot  ;D

p.p.s. I look forward to stu seconding The Pirate 5 min after redpointing it. No jumars allowed.  :lol:

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
    • http://www.darkpeakimages.co.uk
I’d have to redpoint it first.

danm

• junky
It's OK, if your eyesight is badly affected by Covid and you need to go on a test drive, you won't be able to see the draws from the road.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
Just resurrecting this thread given the discussion around increased littering in National Parks post-Lockdown and whether climbers think leaving ‘draws in Kilnsey is a good idea?

I havent been up to Kilnsey this year; is it festooned with draws or are you just pre empting the issue?

Rob F

• menacing presence
Liking this 2020 next level rule  :yes: : you only get the tick if you second the route 5 min after leading.

No excuses with all this training everyone's been doing...

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
Just resurrecting this thread given the discussion around increased littering in National Parks post-Lockdown and whether climbers think leaving ‘draws in Kilnsey is a good idea?

I havent been up to Kilnsey this year; is it festooned with draws or are you just pre empting the issue?

Yes lots with draws. I spoke to farmer and he is ok with it. Said he can't even see them let alone care.

petejh

• forum hero
[inappropriate tight-wad Yorkshire farmer stereotype]
Just don’t tell him what a draw costs.
[/inappropriate tight-wad Yorkshire farmer stereotype]

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Isn't it as much a safety thing as anything else? Somebody mentioned on here that they'd been there on a windy day and a perma-draw dropped to the floor next to them with the bolt still attached. Obviously not an issue with glue ins.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
Isn't it as much a safety thing as anything else? Somebody mentioned on here that they'd been there on a windy day and a perma-draw dropped to the floor next to them with the bolt still attached. Obviously not an issue with glue ins.

I think you have more chance of being hit by all the loose rock at the moment!

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1

Perma draw krabs can get worn so there is a sharp edge that can cut the rope (this has killed someone)

Perma draw tape can break at low loads - search here for the tests on the removed Mecca draws

Perma draws look unsightly to many (climbers and non-climbers) - if it doesn’t to you then respect other people’s aesthetics

It’s the outdoors not a gym, philistines

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero

I guess we need our bmc ambassadors setting a good example to the rest of us encouraging the fact the outdoors is not the gym.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1

I guess we need our bmc ambassadors setting a good example to the rest of us encouraging the fact the outdoors is not the gym.

I’ve made my views known in person. Have you? I very much doubt it

ali k

• junky
There’s some bright orange ones (sponsored?) currently in-situ through the top roof on the upper tier at Malham. Looks like a project as it’s too far right to be breach of peace I think but I could be wrong. You can pretty much see them from Skipton!

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero

I’ve made my views known in person. Have you? I very much doubt it

No as it doesnt bother me.

ali k

• junky
My personal take:
Leaving draws in overnight if you know you’re coming back early next day = ok sometimes. Leaving draws in for days when you’re not present at the crag = not ok.
But then I don’t climb huge roofs so for me it’s an easy rule to stick to.

mark20

• junky
What’s the deal with the fixed rope at Chee Cornice that’s been there all week?

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1

Chris Plant’s project I gather. Been up there for at least 3 weeks. Needs taking down

abarro81

• forum hero
If people are leaving obvious draws in for weeks on end it does seem prudent not to use luminous orange ones or similar..

tomtom

• forum hero
At a quiet backwater like Malham where no tourists ever ever go - should be fine... 😱😜

danm

• junky

Chris Plant’s project I gather. Been up there for at least 3 weeks. Needs taking down
I heard on the other channel that the landowner (DWT) will be in the area on Tuesday, so might be advised to get rid of this rope before then? Anyone got a contact for Plantpot so we can get him to take it down, or anyone willing to do it for him?

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
There’s some bright orange ones (sponsored?) currently in-situ through the top roof on the upper tier at Malham. Looks like a project as it’s too far right to be breach of peace I think but I could be wrong. You can pretty much see them from Skipton!

If they go through the roof above obsession that was tried briefly last year before birds began colonising it. I can think of several potential owners: would encourage mentioning it on the Yorks FB group Ali as someone will know whose they are.

There are always some that stay in the wall but colour seems to be key so people don't clock them. If they are a darker colour they won't be spotted and it's probably not an issue.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal