UKBouldering.com

Equipment Insurance (Read 4234 times)

Paul B

• forum hero
Equipment Insurance
August 24, 2010, 05:10:25 pm
I'm getting a bit wary of how much my kit bag is worth and inevitably it does get left unattended at times and in the van (hidden but still).

Does anyone have kit insurance they'd recommend? I'd try and tag it onto home contents insurance but ours isn't great for this kind of thing.

I've found one that seems reasonable but reading the policy you have to write to them every time you go abroad and they then have to accept that in writing otherwise you're not covered which seems forgettable and quite shit for a worldwide policy.

Thanks
Paul

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#1 Re: Equipment Insurance
August 24, 2010, 05:19:14 pm
Looked into this a while back. AA Home Insurance seemed the best.

Paul B

• forum hero
#2 Re: Equipment Insurance
August 24, 2010, 05:20:17 pm
do they just cover the equipment or is it inclusive with your home (we're paid up on our home for a while yet).

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#3 Re: Equipment Insurance
August 24, 2010, 05:32:32 pm
do they just cover the equipment or is it inclusive with your home (we're paid up on our home for a while yet).

Hmmm, not sure, wasn't looking for just the equipment.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#4 Re: Equipment Insurance
August 24, 2010, 05:33:07 pm
T'was a real ballache to get my camera listed as individual items.  Claims said that the camera and lenses are treated as one item because you can't use one without the other, yet when referred back to "Sales" to list the body and lenses they failed to list them all, despite literally spelling out model and lens types, and when the amended policy came through it just said "Nikon Camera" and didn't have each item individually listed.

Anyway, none of that is much help, nor will the companies others <a href="http://www.flickr.com/groups/sheffieldshowcase/discuss/72157624004532318/" target="_blank">suggested to me when I asked a similar question</a> but I'll be looking to go with one of those in the future when my building & contents are up for renewal.

Insurance companies are a bunch of thieving cnuts anyway, right up there with estate agents.

Paul B

• forum hero
#5 Re: Equipment Insurance
September 21, 2010, 12:09:56 pm
Insurance companies are a bunch of thieving cnuts anyway, right up there with estate agents.

I found this out the other day when I rang up to ask how much it was to add the Camera. They went through the, "can we just see if your contact details are correct etc." after which came "and you live in rented accomodation", "no, we've just bought the place". "Sorry sir, that now voids your policy" FFS.

I then went through a million companies that ask you to specify the lock type and then in the policy details say that basically if you're not in, with the lights on and a baseball bat in hand (preferably with some kind of wolf by your side) you're not covered unless you have a 5 lever mortice lock.

In the end Endsleigh came up top of the pile and have covered the camera equipment outside of the house. Its covered if I just put it down or drop it off a cliff etc.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#6 Re: Equipment Insurance
September 21, 2010, 12:18:30 pm
Its covered if I just put it down or drop it off a cliff etc.

That sounds like a very good idea, hopefully you won't have to rely on it!

Paul B

• forum hero
#7 Re: Equipment Insurance
September 13, 2011, 03:29:13 pm
This issue has come around again after reviewing my home insurance and realising they handily drop the amount of cover by a massive margin if it happens to be left in car regardless of circumstance.

Looking into it further I went with E&L after being told over the phone that it'd be covered out of sight in the boot of my locked car. Now the insurance schedule has turned up for review they're telling lies:

When in a vehicle any insured items must be placed out of sight in a locked boot or
concealed under a parcel shelf. For estate cars containing insured items, a factory-fitted
cover must be in place and in use, which completely obscures the items from view. If not
available, the insured equipment must be out of sight.

Storage compartments in vehicles must not be accessible from the driver’s area; or
opened by electrical or mechanical devices within the passenger section; or accessible by
removal of a panel, shelf or partition.

According to my last phonecall, its covered in the boot if they break into the boot only (and they intend to remove wording to the contrary, they wouldn't confirm that in writing). Not via, for instance an easily smashable piece of glass located elsewhere on a car. I can't really think of any car that has a parcel shelf that isn't removable. Does anyone use a reputable insurer for this who actually offer cover?

The above was unattended vehicle cover and seems like fairly standard behaviour.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#8 Re: Equipment Insurance
September 13, 2011, 03:53:42 pm
New car might be the answer? I think these have a luggae compartment separate from the passenger section.

I've never bothered getting insurance for my kit, partly cos there are too many times when it won't be covered. If I get travel insurance I'll add on the extra 'tech cover', but that's it.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 04:21:50 pm by Johnny Brown »

Paul B

• forum hero
#9 Re: Equipment Insurance
September 13, 2011, 03:57:34 pm
Don't be daft, it doesn't go with my haircut:

The plan of buying a used 400mm and then selling it mightn't break so even if a Frenchie decided to steal it.

dave

#10 Re: Equipment Insurance
September 13, 2011, 04:07:50 pm
Given your track record Paul, won't the insurance premium be about ten times the value of the kit anyway? That is assuming they don't just hang up when they realise its you?

David S

• stalker
#11 Re: Equipment Insurance
September 13, 2011, 04:11:17 pm
Hi Paul
You will find that once you get more and more expensive kit you are best insuring through a bespoke company. I use photoguard, whilst it ain't cheap, it gives great cover all over the place including trips abroad. They will also cover my kit in my estate car as long as it's 'out of sight'. You'll also get a million quid's worth of public liabilty insurance, useful if you drop a lens on someone and they sue you.

You could also look at this page (not that I ever look at amateur photographer  :lol:)

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/shop/Insurance_4714.html

I'm afraid you pays your money or you make your choices. they will have your pants down no matter what.

Cheers

David

Paul B

• forum hero
#12 Re: Equipment Insurance
September 13, 2011, 04:58:53 pm
E&L is on that list! Cheers all the same.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal