UKBouldering.com

Scarpa Instinct lace ups - do they stretch? (Read 3178 times)

ksjs

• menacing presence
Posted this on the other channel but no definitive replies. As the title says really, just got these and trying to decide if I need to go down a size (pretty sure I don't). From the box they're tight / snug but not painfully so (a really good fit in fact) though I can't keep them on for much longer than 10 minutes without things getting sore. They're for bouldering / redpointing so this is fine. Obviously they will soften a bit but do they stretch significantly, I understand the slippers do?

Cheers!

ShortRound

• addict
I've had a pair for about 6 months now and not noticed any significant stretching. The fit is brilliant for me and they are the only down-turned boots I've tried that don't give me a painful big-toe knuckle. I bought another pair the same size in a sale so I hope they don't suddenly start stretching!

abarro81

• forum hero
I find they stretch a bit, maybe a bit more than the Magos (if that comparison is any use to you). I get them so tight that I can only get them on with my feet in plastic bags, and only wear them in front of the tv for about 5 minutes before I start crying. They're perfect after a week of breaking them in in this manner and a couple of weeks climbing. (If the mago comparison is any use, I'm 43 in Mago and 42.5 in instinct laces)

ksjs

• menacing presence
they are the only down-turned boots I've tried that don't give me a painful big-toe knuckle.
Similar here, I've tried quite a few and find they just contort my feet and cause cramping. These are the only ones that don't.

ksjs

• menacing presence
I find they stretch a bit, maybe a bit more than the Magos (if that comparison is any use to you).
I wear a UK 9 / EUR 43 in an Anasazi velcro and a UK 9.5 / EUR 44 in an Anasazi white. The Instincts would be EUR 43. When I compare with either of the Anasazis they are significantly shorter, approx 1.5CM in the case of the whites which have been perfect fit-wise. No wonder I can't keep them on for long!

I'm pretty sure I tried a pair of broken-in Magos earlier this year and managed to get a 41 on which was tight but acceptable. I then tried to buy the Magos but the 42.5 and even 43 killed me / just felt wrong. I have a feeling that both the Booster and Mago will allow you to get on way smaller than normal boots and still wear them but all you're doing is stretching the shoe out of shape i.e. the diagonal band of rubber running from top back of the heel to mid-sole gives too much and the shoe just ends up really splayed if that makes sense.

If I was going to fit in any Mago it'd probably be the 43.5 in which case a 43 in the Instinct, based on your experience, makes sense.

Cheers for reply.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal