UKBouldering.com

northwales/orme/few new problems (Read 4125 times)

ducko

• junky
northwales/orme/few new problems
February 24, 2011, 06:34:22 pm
i found a few new areas on the orme that as far as im aware have not been climbed,
there all based on a rockey outcrop westshore side of the orme (if more info is neded on location i can point it out on a map)
if you head up throught the gate by westshore by the small castle house, follow the walkpath left, theres an obvioius quarried area, head straight up the hill youll see a cliff area with a large overhanging edge, follow to the right of that and the areas are there!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

when people climb these id like opinions on the grades as im not sure how accurate my grading is, the routes are all sit starts and all pretty short but some nice moves and its something extra to climb

ta  :)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: northwales/orme/few new problems
February 24, 2011, 06:42:32 pm
That rock looks pretty cool. How short is "pretty short", no real indication of scale in first pic. And second depends if shoes are small and close,  or large and far away.

ducko

• junky
#2 Re: northwales/orme/few new problems
February 24, 2011, 06:48:27 pm
most routes are around 5/6 moves nothing major, short routes but its for people close to llandudno who maybe fancy something to have a play on, i wouldnt travel from scotland to climb it  ;)

heres another pic
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 06:56:04 pm by ducko »

tesla

• addict
  • long mover
#3 Re: northwales/orme/few new problems
February 25, 2011, 12:44:23 am
Well, not really new - they've definitely been climbed on before. I know Dave Lyon used to boulder all around this area of the west shore, and had some kind of long training traverse up there (it was near to his mum's house). We used to speculate that this was how come he could not show up at the crag for a couple of months, and then turn up out of the blue one evening and burn us all off before disappearing again. :-)

ducko

• junky
#4 Re: northwales/orme/few new problems
February 25, 2011, 10:53:22 am
ahhh cool, like i said i was unsure, its nothing amazing its more for beginners and for people who live near by and are bored of usual spots
ta  :)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#5 Re: northwales/orme/few new problems
February 25, 2011, 10:55:41 am
Might check this out in the future, my Gran lives on Abbey road at the foot of the Orme and it sounds as though this is but a short walk away, never knew about it before, cheers.

Doylo

• forum hero
#6 Re: northwales/orme/few new problems
February 26, 2011, 09:58:00 am
Good effort on the rediscovery!

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#7 Re: northwales/orme/few new problems
February 26, 2011, 10:03:47 am
And making the effort to create the topos.

ducko

• junky
#8 Re: northwales/orme/few new problems
February 26, 2011, 06:38:11 pm
 it's nothing amazing but for begineers/bored climbers it's not bad
ta :)

Cretin

• regular
#9 Re: northwales/orme/few new problems
July 01, 2011, 05:12:20 pm
Had a go of these problems and found them really hard! some holds just weren't usable for me. I have however only bouldered inside before, and am told im climbing problems between v2-v3.
Is it normal to climb so much worse on real rock?   :doubt:

Ducko if you wouldn't mind could you elaborate on how you did/would climb the first problem you listed just so i can be sure i haven't missed a move or something?

webbo

• forum hero
#10 Re: northwales/orme/few new problems
July 02, 2011, 07:21:31 pm
Had a go of these problems and found them really hard! some holds just weren't usable for me. I have however only bouldered inside before, and am told im climbing problems between v2-v3.
Is it normal to climb so much worse on real rock?   :doubt:

Fraid so

ducko

• junky
#11 Re: northwales/orme/few new problems
July 03, 2011, 01:31:40 am
hi mate,
its been a while since ive been up there (i only went the once) im pretty sure you start off that big ledge then im sure there were pretty obvious crimps up too the top.. ill go have a look next time im up that way! if you head up that way sometime feel free to let me know via pm if im free ill try assist

Cretin

• regular
#12 Re: northwales/orme/few new problems
July 05, 2011, 11:46:03 am
I can see the handholds, they're fairly obvious to me, it's the footwork im struggling with! Thanks mate, thats much appreciated

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal