UKBouldering.com

Huge techno CD giveaway - calling all techno lovers (Read 7028 times)

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
I can't believe I'm about to do this, but my mum is moving house and I have nowhere to keep these CD's as the mansion I'm supposed to be living in won't come out of my dreams and manifest itself in reality.

Several years ago, a friend of mine in Belgium gave me his 300+ Techno CD collection which he had lovingly (insanely) amassed through the years. This was a time before the internet could provide you with everything you desired and so I am fairly certain that many of these mixes won't be publicly available anywhere. There are some very old school sets with some big names as well as some more esoteric ones. The music on the CD's is all in mp3 format so each CD has several sets on it (see the link for a full listing).

I'd suggest taking a look through the entire listing here http://pastebin.com/2kN14rde

I didn't paste it into this post as it's rather long!

If anyone wants these CD's then they are available for FREE. You can collect them from my mum's house in Derby or I could possibly bring them to Sheffield in the next day or two. If there is anyone who doesn't live near either of these places and is mightily interested then let me know as I'm sure we can work something out.

Final note; I would like these to go to a good home. A home where techno is loved and revered. I don't want these CD's to be lost or thrown away. It would be great if someone had the time and inclination to transfer all of these CD's onto a HDD which would be far more useful.

Best to email me at unclesomebody at gmail dot com if you are interested. Thanks.

nik at work

• forum hero
Uncle if you don't really want to give them away but are short of storage I am happy to provide a secure home for them for as long as it takes you to build your mansion.

fried

• forum hero
Don't do it. I've sold off two large record collections in my life and it's the only thing I've ever regretted getting rid off. Take up Nik's offer, think of your children!

willackers

• junky
    • Vimeo
 :agree:

I sold a massive D&B vinyl collection and I have regretted it for years  :wavecry:

I have even tried to buy it back!

I still have a big record collection which I hardly ever play but there are some gems in there and I don't think I'll be getting rid of them.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
I'll happily provide a home for some but don't understand the space issue - 300 CDs isn't that many bookshelves -or boxes-  is it? I sold a load of books ten years ago, got less than nothing for them (well it was in Yorkshire) and am slowly rebuying them. Extreme Rock for a tenner might be hard to re-buy tho...

Thanks for getting out B.T.T. so quick btw

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
. The music on the CD's is all in mp3 format so each CD has several sets on it (see the link for a full listing).

Surely if it's already in MP3 format then 300 CDs is not the best format for them? ie. not searchable etc. If you don't want them all on your PC/laptop you could probably fit the lot on a few DVDs/1 or 2 Blu-rays, one portable 500Gb HD, online storage etc etc. I agree with all the 'don't get rid of your Vinyl comments' but I don't think a load of burnt CDs has the same sentimental value does it?  :shrug:

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
205GB if all the CDs are full to capacity. 24 DL-DVDs.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Or 1 hard drive. Even that would require the best part of a working week to copy over though. Its only techno though, you could probably write a program to randomly generate it in that time. And it would be better.

Somebody's Fool

• forum hero
Is much of it unmixed?

I'm potentially keen if so. Even if it's just on a loan until you get the mansion. Can't be too long can it?

Edit: Just seen the list. Probs not that keen after all

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
I just don't have the time to get them all on my PC. I don't have the space in London or in Bristol, even if it is only a box full of CD's. It's not a space issue on my PC as I have 7TB of storage, but I can't sit at home all day copying the data to my HDD's.

All this music isn't on CD because it's the best format. I suspect it was the cheapest GB/£ at the time when they were burned.

If no one wants them then I'll find a place to store them. Or perhaps I'll bury them and hope some child in 500 years digs them up and then spends far too much money to build a CD reader in order to discover that Adam Beyer's "retro/antique" beats are the shit.   

uptown

• junky
Shucks Unc, there's some real boom in that box. I could happily give them a good home until your mansion comes good. mmm Billy nasty... Which part of Derby are they at?

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
Near the University, on Kedleston Road. PM me if you're interested.

ianv

• forum abuser
I reckon you could make some cash from that lot if you had the inclination. There are people there I have never seen recordings of ever : eg. G Force, zzino. There is LOADS of potentially great sets there it would be a real shame to get rid of them permanently.

Paul B

• forum hero
I reckon you could make some cash from that lot if you had the inclination. There are people there I have never seen recordings of ever : eg. G Force, zzino. There is LOADS of potentially great sets there it would be a real shame to get rid of them permanently.

'Sharing is Caring'

Surely the rightful resting place for the esoteric is on a suitable tracker.

ianv

• forum abuser
In fact, there is stuff on there that I would be willing to pay for if you can be bothered putting it on a couple of DVDs.

zzino, G Force, Gaetek, Joel Mull, Carrola circa 1999-2000, Varela, Dahlbach, CD157 and some of the early trance sets

pm me if you are interested

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
Ianv; I'm happy to burn a collection for you if you can get me a list of exactly what you want in the next couple of days. I can post you a DVD at the weekend. In return, I'd happily accept a donation to the MS Research fund via this link. PM me a list of whatever you want.

ianv

• forum abuser
Thats wicked, thanks very much will do it ASAP

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
Another offer of storage if needed.

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
Uncle - quite happy to store them at The Works in our lock up. Sam will doubtless copy lots of them. Could even have some kind of "You Want to Copy Them Then You Donate Some Cash to the Earl's Rehab Fund" deal going on.

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
I should have read the whole thread as I see you are already solicting dosh for another good cause. Sorry didn't mean to jump in. But the offer is still there.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
It might be worth keeping the discs and inserts in a slip case and ditching the plastic boxes.  300 CDs take almost no space like this.

Don't do it. I've sold off two large record collections in my life and it's the only thing I've ever regretted getting rid off.

I sold a massive D&B vinyl collection and I have regretted it for years 

CDs - will they go the way of vinyl ... or cassettes?

Vinyl will always have a niche following because analogue sound is different (many, including me, think better), records are an attractive object, and record-players are fairly easy to make at a cottage industry level at sensible prices so the technology will not die. 

CDs sound no different to (uncompressed ) digital files, are given away with magazines devaluing their value, and optical disc drives are nearly obsolete.  Once optical drives are gone, new CD players will become very hard to make at a remotely sane price.

fried

• forum hero
At the moment the trend seems to be for low quality recordings (mp3 for Iphone etc), there is however a niche market for high quality recordings (and hi-fi equipment).

CD sound quality is extremely variable, but there are some that are very good quality. I think that CDs in general won't last more than another few years, looking around my local music shops the clientele is almost exclusively middle aged men. I don't have any figures but I imagine vinyl production stays pretty stable with exactly the same client base and will undoubtedly outlast mainstream CD production.

CDs will probably just be used by small independents doing compilations of difficult/ impossible to find (at a reasonable price) tracks  ( Trojan, Sterns etc).

I'd love to buy more vinyl but the prices asked have become ridiculous. Even at car boot sales (where I live) people are asking 4/5 euros for battered copies of poor recordings, just 'cos they saw that price on the net somewhere.

I'd keep everything, I still lots of old mix tapes I made when I was 17 and even though they'd probably snap if I played them, they still hold a lot of memories. I can chart my life easier with the music I have listened to than the photos I've taken.

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
Thanks to the people who have offered to house this lot for me. Nothing is immediately required, but I do appreciate the care you're showing for a sh*tload of techno.

I've just spent 45 mins putting all the CD's in order and it turns out there are more than I realised. There are nearly 400 numbered CD's and another 40-50 which have no numbers on them. I don't have a tracklisting for anything beyond 306, but all the tracks on every CD are organised in named folders, so all the information is there (like this which I just found "Valentino Kanzyani - Live At Lifka Yougoslawia 08-04-2001").

Anyway, I'm off back south tomorrow so these are going to be staying in Derby at my mum's for the next few weeks. If anyone decides they do want them (on a long term loan type deal) then we can sort it out when I return in several weeks.

Also, if anyone wants any specific CD's on a loan for the next few weeks let me know via PM in the next 12 hours so I can post them to you tomorrow. I am now officially running a techno library (this is so 1998).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal