UKBouldering.com

Painful wrist! (Read 2987 times)

Robsons

• menacing presence
  • On a mission
Painful wrist!
June 21, 2011, 12:37:26 pm
Been doing a lot of deadhanging on the BM - and I think that single arm hangs have done some damage to my right wrist - the joint specifically - pushing your palm up and your wrist bone down hurts quite a bit - only really affects me on really locking the wrist off. So I think the Ulna side (outer?) and perhaps the distal radial ulnar articulation tendon/ligament?

Obviously I've stopped the single arm hangs for now - but it's been on going for a couple fo weeks now - not really letting up.

Anyone know what this could be? Info on the web seems that starins or sprains are the two real injuries in the wrist...but any rehab work/advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Robin

Robsons

• menacing presence
  • On a mission
#1 Re: Painful wrist!
June 23, 2011, 07:53:04 pm
Sorry to post again,but my wrist has worsened!
Climbed 4x4s Tuesday night - with no signs of pain whilst climbing - good session.

Woke up on Wednesday morning and couldn't turn/twist my wrist at all!!!
 Very painful...fingers and forearms are ache free - purely wrist - twisting is the main culprit!
Thinking of seeing if an x-ray tomorrow will highlight anything?

Again, if anyone knows anything about this - your help and advice would be appreciated!

Robin

Robsons

• menacing presence
  • On a mission
#2 Re: Painful wrist!
June 24, 2011, 11:52:51 am
Just going to write up the result from an x-ray and hospital trip today just in case anyone else gets this in the future...
So the pain was through supination (turning the wrist - so palm faces upwards) - this is mainly due to the Triangular Fibrocartilage Complex (TFCC).
Basically adjoining ligaments and cartilage on the Ulna side (little finger) of the wrist. The X-ray showed no separation, but potential small tears - instead of bracing it up and icing - the Dr. there said to take nurofen, take the brace of and get it moving...I will continue to ice and heat however, as it is an infamous part of the body that receives poor circulation...so massaging, and ice/heat therapy will surely help the ligaments...

Hope this helps someone in the future!

Dexter

• obsessive maniac
#3 Re: Painful wrist!
June 26, 2011, 12:24:10 pm
was it painful and possibly slightly clicky when rotating side to side? I had this the other day and it was quite painful but had no idea what it was or what the best course of action was.

Snoops

• obsessive maniac
#4 Re: Painful wrist!
June 27, 2011, 02:12:29 pm
Just going to write up the result from an x-ray and hospital trip today just in case anyone else gets this in the future...
So the pain was through supination (turning the wrist - so palm faces upwards) - this is mainly due to the Triangular Fibrocartilage Complex (TFCC).
Basically adjoining ligaments and cartilage on the Ulna side (little finger) of the wrist. The X-ray showed no separation, but potential small tears - instead of bracing it up and icing - the Dr. there said to take nurofen, take the brace of and get it moving...I will continue to ice and heat however, as it is an infamous part of the body that receives poor circulation...so massaging, and ice/heat therapy will surely help the ligaments...

Hope this helps someone in the future!

I had a TFCC injury that ruined my life (climbing) for 2 years. Don't fuck about with it.
Get a wrist splint (online 10 quid) or from your phsyio for sleeping, as if you put your hand under the pillow or have it in a weird position when sleeping it delays healing.
Normal Radiograph is useless for this.
If it perisists you need an MRI scan to image the soft tissues.
It can be perforated or avulsed. the latter has a better prognosis if sorted in the short term.
If you have probs fell free to PM me.

Rocksteady

• forum abuser
  • Crank
  • Hotter than the sun!
#5 Re: Painful wrist!
June 30, 2011, 12:41:47 pm
I think I've got the same thing Dexter is describing at the moment.

Wrist hurts a bit in the knobbly bit and clicks if I twist or flex it.

Don't know how I did it, seems to have developed over a couple of climbing sessions.

Going to rest it for a week or so and ice it and see what happens. If no better, go see Dr!

Cheers for above info all.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal