fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
Sheepskulls, access
October 10, 2010, 08:04:20 pm
OK peeps,

spread the word.

Some local riders (incl. me) have been in detailed talks re: access to this site for MTB.

Here's a summery and the new status quo... this is for spreading to all.

OK,

sheepskulls is a little known, small track  ( like an after work summer venue) on the side of totley moor behind the paint works just before the Owler bar roundabout coming out of Sheffield on the abbeydale rd.

it's effectively one track, nothing too gnar.. used by XC, BMX and all mountain bikers to hone their skills. It's on peat moor. It's a bit shite in the wet.

the site is on a SSSI. This is due to a moth.

The track used to run just down from the bridleway, now it has an extension above it too.

Early this summer a group of sheff based MTBers had a race there. the local residents called the police.. the the parking was untoward. The peak park rangers attended, and were verbally abused. A crime scene number was raised on the parking.

The extension part of the track crossed over a wall. Unknown to all the wall and the track above it is a *scheduled ancient monument* it's the site of a iron age dwelling. This means to travel over it on a mtb is an offence. National heritage are aware.

The site has a new tenant... underwritten by the RSPB.

I have spoken to them.

In summery...

the wall has been rebuilt and no riding must ever, ever take place above it. if we accept this we get a *toleration* on the existing lower  track.. NO more tracks to be built... there is a plaque on the new wall to explain this. The RSPB & peak park have bigger fish to fry, and are happy to let MTB to occur under the radar with the provisions above, but we must keep this under the radar.

If this access agreement is upheld there is a desire to give us the bridleway descent off totley round the corner to be rebuilt with berms, tabletops etc...

this is the first *give* from the peak park & the RSPB to MTBers in the peak... I would implore you to ride there within the constraints above.

All this will be news to you, and plz publish to Ride Sheffield etc...

I worked hard to get this, please ride in a manner that could open up other areas in the peak, I have heard of other far more important plans hopefully for the near future, but we as a user group need to prove we will respect what we are given. the end result I am aiming for is one of the the massive ( about to the decommissioned) limestone quarrys being turned into a MTB skills zone.

Cheers.

NO MORE RACING on this track please..

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 Re: Sheepskulls, access
October 10, 2010, 08:40:02 pm
Nice one for your efforts Jon - I always thought things were going to come to a head eventually. Same the "racers" were so short-sighted.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#2 Re: Sheepskulls, access
October 11, 2010, 04:41:47 pm
Evidence of motorbikes using the middle track up there today - nothing terrible damagewise but all the same...

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#3 Re: Sheepskulls, access
October 11, 2010, 07:21:22 pm
Effort Jon

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
  • High Rocks? Best crag in the country mate.....
    • John Horscroft - Writer
#4 Re: Sheepskulls, access
October 12, 2010, 10:18:49 am
Nice one Jon.   :thumbsup:  Like to reiterate everything Jon's said.  Having spoken at length to Danny, the guy running the Eastern Moors for the RSPB/NT, they are taking a very enlightened view of MBing.  So, heed FD's wise words and who knows where this might go.  We ignore them at our peril.......

Dolly

• forum hero
#5 Re: Sheepskulls, access
October 12, 2010, 10:21:03 am
Nice one FD - have some waddage

gingerninja

• menacing presence
#6 Re: Sheepskulls, access
October 12, 2010, 10:48:46 am
its nice to hear some positive news on mtbing in the peak.
you may want to inform the guys at this is sheffield and monkeyspoon about this. i will let people i know about this.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#7 Re: Sheepskulls, access
October 12, 2010, 08:20:20 pm
ginger...

( damn mate, I'm sure I know you)

please pass it on to all.

I have a member of the crookes gentleman's cycling club... or whatever it's called... on my email & txt... he's been told.

But I aint no bolehills star.. spread the word.

cheers.

gingerninja

• menacing presence
#8 Re: Sheepskulls, access
October 12, 2010, 11:49:30 pm
i tend to ride in barnsley and dont think ive met you at trail x. we may have met at one of the wharncliffe weekenders, i was taking pics for steve. i know ben and rich who were part of the crew digging at wharncliffe a while back.

stom

• addict
    • Some Videos
#9 Re: Sheepskulls, access
May 03, 2011, 10:41:33 pm
I went up to Sheepskulls last Wednesday and discovered that some idiots had torn the sign off thats been posted by the wall &taken the wall down over the top of the drop  :wank:  I'm guessing its kids, that have decided whilst their off over the easter break  the rules dont apply to them  :thumbsdown: ??

Anyway, i've tried to rectify the situation.. I've been up tonight and had a go at rebuilding the wall.  It looks Ok and is fairly stable, until  someone decides to demolish it again.  I've also located the sign and will be going up tomorrow night after work to reinstate it.  We'll have to see how long it lasts this time.

I also spoke with a group of young lads that were riding there and basically spelled out to them that we'd lose the riding spot if the new rules are not obeyed.  I followed by telling them to let all their mates know that ride up there!  Hopefully the message will get back to those who dismantled the wall.

As a side note, I've also developed a huge amount of respect for the effort and skill that goes into building a dry stone wall... It suddenly makes me realise what a work of art they can be!

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
#10 Re: Sheepskulls, access
May 04, 2011, 09:18:48 am
Good effort Tom! I spoke to Eastern Moors Manager Danny Udall not long back and he was really chuffed with the way MBers were adhering to the new guidelines, so this is a bit of a setback.  However, thanks to your efforts, we shouldn't all get tarred with the same brush!   :thumbsup:

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#11 Re: Sheepskulls, access
May 04, 2011, 07:50:50 pm
sorry for late reply Stom,

you got PM.

Mark Lloyd

• menacing presence
#12 Re: Sheepskulls, access
May 09, 2011, 01:03:30 pm
Wheres the best way to access this trail ?
Not living in Sheffield not sure where the paint factory is or the old firing range ?
Is it the factory on the left as you drop down from owler bar ?

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#13 Re: Sheepskulls, access
May 09, 2011, 05:59:49 pm
yes mate, just before it there's a footpath, follow it and then go right on the flat bridleway... its on the your right. Park at the layby 200m up towards owler bar

Mark Lloyd

• menacing presence
#14 Re: Sheepskulls, access
May 12, 2011, 10:09:21 pm
Cheers, I'll check it out soon.
Although not that soon as I managed to bend my rear disc rotor tonight as my rear wheel popped out. Managed to limp home with a grinding brake, Is it possible to straighten them ?

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
#15 Re: Sheepskulls, access
May 13, 2011, 08:49:00 am
Yes fella.  There's even a funky Park Tools rotor fork you can buy for the job, (depending on how bent it is and whether you want to shell out!).  I've straightened mine in the past with a pair of long nosed pliars - works for me!  :)

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#16 Re: Sheepskulls, access
May 13, 2011, 09:01:15 am
BIG adjustable spanner

mole

• regular
#17 Re: Sheepskulls, access
June 06, 2011, 11:13:35 am
Had a look up here on Saturday, the sign has gone again and part of the wall has dissappeared.............

stom

• addict
    • Some Videos
#18 Re: Sheepskulls, access
June 06, 2011, 12:04:07 pm
Grrrr...... Its been half term again last week!  Seems the kids up there need their heads knocking together!!!

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
#19 Re: Sheepskulls, access
June 06, 2011, 12:05:40 pm
Fancy showing me your dry-stone-walling skills Tom?! 

stom

• addict
    • Some Videos
#20 Re: Sheepskulls, access
June 06, 2011, 12:10:58 pm
Fancy showing me your dry-stone-walling skills Tom?! 

I was going to go up there tonight for a ride...  Looks like i'll be drystone walling again! - It shouldnt take long if they've moved the stones the same as before...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal