UKBouldering.com

Strength training has made me heavier, maybe. (Read 6629 times)

heelhookofglory

• menacing presence
    • SPC
Over winter and up to spring I was hovering around the 140/142 lbs mark, which I was pretty happy with. However, I've started strength training on the Beastmaker 3 times per week, as well as regular bouldering sessions -- for the last 5 weeks -- and my weight has increased to 144/145 lbs.

I know it's not a huge increase but I do'nt want the extra few pounds negating the effects of more strength. I can't seem to get back to 140! It's bugging the hell out of me. BF has stayed pretty much the same (visual and dodgy scales measurement only!) so can this really be down to a slight increase in muscle mass?

No real diet change apart from a slight increase in protein intake and a bit more fruit and veg.

Been doing a little bit of mountain biking, too, but these tend to be short zone 3--5 rides. So, some cardio and some threshold work but nothing major and certainly not really enough to gain muscle mass in my legs, I don't think...

mr__j5

• menacing presence
  • Peter J
  • tall, bendy and weak
To me, that reads as:

Slight increase in protein + strength training = slight increase in weight.

heelhookofglory

• menacing presence
    • SPC
Correct. My question, then, is; can working finger strength really result in an increase in overall weight? Surely I've not added 4 lbs of muscle mass in my forearms lol! Possibly thighs, too... maybe it's the cycling thinking about it. Dammit!

Dexter

• obsessive maniac
if your doing regular bouldering sessions especially on steep stuff its most likely in your back that youve gained the muscle

roddersm

• stalker
2-3 pounds does not seem like much change.

How scientific are you measurements i.e. Are you using the same scales? do you weigh yourself at the same time of day? Were you wearing different clothing? Did you try taking an average weight over the course of the day? 

It's pretty common for weight to fluctuate a bit due to water retention etc. but it's not uncommon to put on some extra weight initially when you increase your training volume as often your appetite will increase. I wouldn't worry about it.

Big Dave

• menacing presence

It's pretty common for weight to fluctuate a bit due to water retention etc. but it's not uncommon to put on some extra weight initially when you increase your training volume as often your appetite will increase. I wouldn't worry about it.

:agree: Don't worry about it.

heelhookofglory

• menacing presence
    • SPC
Same scales, same time each Sunday morning wearing nowt!

To be honest I'm not worried about a few pounds really but I don't want my weight increase to continue. 140 used to be pretty much my norm but now it seems 143 has become my norm, don't want that to continue up to 150. Seems to have stabilised though...

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
My weight varies around +/- 0.75kg day by day, so one sunday you might hit a high and the next a low. I'd measure a few days in a row and take an average.

There's no way you could put that much on your forearms. It'll be the biking - it's easy to put on a few kg of leg muscle with almost no noticable size increase! Always stay in a low gear and spin.

douglas

• obsessive maniac
As long as you know the weight gain is reversible I'd take advantage of it. Your increased mass will provide a greater stimulus to your muscles making them stronger more quickly. Once you're done, lose it and crush.

Rocksteady

• forum abuser
  • Crank
  • Hotter than the sun!
I'd have thought you'd have to be climbing pretty near your max potential for 2-3lbs to cause much difference in your ability. For most people I don't think 2-3lbs could matter below mid-8 grades.

In any event, I should have thought your strength training will offset any weight gain.

Do 6 weeks endurance training, lose the weight, and then you will be stronger and have better endurance...

mark s

• junky
dont worry about it steve,
ive just been on the nhs website and my bmi is 25.74 according to them im over weight!!!!!

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
you're all fat

but especially me

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
ive just been on the nhs website and my bmi is 25.74 according to them im over weight!!!!!

Thats because BMI is a fucking wank indication of whether someone is overweight and should be done away with (but won't because there are too many doctors who don't know any different and won't budge from it).

Waist-hip ratio is a bit of a better predictor of health status and possible complications.

boulderingbacon

• menacing presence
steve you only weigh just over ten stone. when you weigh 14 stone like me come back to this thread and be worried. by the way my bmi is about 15% so im not that fat just naturally large. the extra weight and power will probably actually do you good, a bit like a boxer fighting at his natural weight and not having to keep lose it to fight.

tomtom

• forum hero
I just read this thread title quickly and thought it said

"Strength training has made me hairier, maybe".....

There might be more in this alternative thread title, and Wayne Rooney might be interested too...

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
I'm hairy, heavy and a bit fat.  :strongbench:

tomtom

• forum hero
I've never done much (any?) strength training and am not hairy.... see, theres something in it....

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
agree with bacon.10 stone is still fuck all. unless you are under five foot tall.

heelhookofglory

• menacing presence
    • SPC
I just read this thread title quickly and thought it said

"Strength training has made me hairier, maybe".....

There might be more in this alternative thread title, and Wayne Rooney might be interested too...

Lol maybe that's what I meant!

No don't get me wrong, it's not really the 2-3lbs I'm bothered about as I know it's not much. Just wanted to get some ideas as to what was causing it incase it turned into 4-6+ etc. It's all groovy.

As long as you know the weight gain is reversible I'd take advantage of it. Your increased mass will provide a greater stimulus to your muscles making them stronger more quickly. Once you're done, lose it and crush.

I like your thinking.

I never pay any attention to BMI and I'm pretty sure you ain't over weight Mark, unless you've secretly been on the oatcakes down at the Ramblers'!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal