UKBouldering.com

Beastmaker training app (for android) (Read 21475 times)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#25 Re: Beastmaker training app (for android)
September 18, 2012, 08:56:57 am
Any news on the new beastmaker app for the iphone? I already have digit trainer but have read about a new app from the best guys????

Last blog post with any details of the beastmaker app

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
#26 Re: Beastmaker training app (for android)
September 18, 2012, 09:31:32 am
From April?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#27 Re: Beastmaker training app (for android)
September 18, 2012, 09:50:35 am
From April?

From April what? 

Yes that blog post is, can you find a newer one in their blog posts?

Beyond that I don't understand what you are asking. :shrug:

Willriseley

• player
  • idiot child
#28 Re: Beastmaker training app (for android)
September 24, 2012, 05:54:18 pm
I guess App's take a while to make as its takes me ages to use them (that may be my stupidity though)

andyd

• forum hero
#29 Re: Beastmaker training app (for android)
September 24, 2012, 06:45:05 pm
Just highlighting that the blog with news about the app was a long time ago...making it old news at best. Wasn't sure if you'd noticed. The question mark wasn't really for you.  It was more a 'is it still in the pipeline or an aborted project?' thing. Sorry for the confusion.

I'd pay for the iPad app...

tomtom

• forum hero
#30 Re: Beastmaker training app (for android)
September 24, 2012, 07:13:53 pm
Just highlighting that the blog with news about the app was a long time ago...making it old news at best. Wasn't sure if you'd noticed. The question mark wasn't really for you.  It was more a 'is it still in the pipeline or an aborted project?' thing. Sorry for the confusion.

I'd pay for the iPad app...

I recieved an update a 2-3 weeks ago (on the trial app) so things are still being worked on I guess... email/tweet the beasts and find out?

Stubbs

#31 Re: Beastmaker training app (for android)
September 24, 2012, 09:09:01 pm
Quote from: beastmaker blog
Well our App is nearly done, it should be getting submitted to the app store this week. I’ll update as soon as that is done. Its only for Apple platforms at the moment (IOS). Thanks to some excellent feedback from TomTom, Stu Littlefair and Dave Macleod its now more informative and its even easier to use. We also plan on backing up the app with some articles on our site with more in depth info behind the training.

http://www.beastmaker.co.uk/blogs/news/6603659-work-and-play

Styx

• regular
#32 Re: Beastmaker training app (for android)
September 26, 2012, 05:50:48 pm
iOS only, noooooooo :(

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#33 Re: Beastmaker training app (for android)
September 26, 2012, 06:20:38 pm

Could always develop your own.

andyd

• forum hero
#34 Re: Beastmaker training app (for android)
September 26, 2012, 06:43:04 pm

Could always develop your own.

Or buy an iPad. You'll never look back

Wipey Why

• forum hero
#35 Re: Beastmaker training app (for android)
October 15, 2012, 12:09:44 pm
Don't know if this is old news, but I saw this today

Baldy

• obsessive maniac
  • Low Bawler
    • CBclimbing
#36 Re: Beastmaker training app (for android)
October 15, 2012, 03:33:15 pm
I bought that the other day.

It looks nice, contains proper beastmaker pictures, and images of where your hands should go for each hang, (including specific pictures for nestling, dragging, open, closed etc.) which are a really nice touch.

There are individual workouts for each grade (from 6C to 8A+) but as someone who thinks they can climb 7B most of the time...the 7B workout is utterly heinous, nay impossible for my forearms to handle.
(This may be because I am a weak ass punter)

I am unsure what their plan is for the hangs, because they are essentially repeaters.
7 on, 3 off
6 reps

2:30 rest

Then next set.

This sounds fine, but there are 21 sets!  :o Not a chance for me...
(again, maybe I am just super weedy)

You can also make your own hang times, where you can change the number of sets, length of hang, rest periods etc.

The major gripe I have with it, is that the noises for the start/stop of the hangs is very quiet, you certainly couldnt have music on in the background and be able to switch off a little bit from the exercise.
(It is possible that my phonespeaker is a bit weak...any one else confirm this?)

Overall,
8/10 for good planning and design thought.
3/10 for wasting it all with a sound that cannot be heard.

I would prefer a metronome, and use this to tell me what to hang at the moment...I'd imagine it is an easy fix though.

quiffhanger

• regular
#37 Re: Beastmaker training app (for android)
October 15, 2012, 04:00:10 pm
I am unsure what their plan is for the hangs, because they are essentially repeaters.
7 on, 3 off
6 reps

Slightly off-topic but this seems a pretty common breakdown for finger board training. This is were I get confused: is this supposed to be for strength, power or power endurance?

Feels like power endurance training to me but the advice I've seen never really makes that clear.

-ross

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#38 Re: Beastmaker training app (for android)
October 15, 2012, 04:13:49 pm

It looks nice, contains proper beastmaker pictures, and images of where your hands should go for each hang, (including specific pictures for nestling, dragging, open, closed etc.) which are a really nice touch.

There are individual workouts for each grade (from 6C to 8A+) but as someone who thinks they can climb 7B most of the time...the 7B workout is utterly heinous, nay impossible for my forearms to handle.

7 on, 3 off
6 reps

Then next set.

You can also make your own hang times, where you can change the number of sets, length of hang, rest periods etc.

The major gripe I have with it, is that the noises for the start/stop of the hangs is very quiet, you certainly couldnt have music on in the background and be able to switch off a little bit from the exercise.
(It is possible that my phonespeaker is a bit weak...any one else confirm this?)

Overall,

I would prefer a metronome, and use this to tell me what to hang at the moment...I'd imagine it is an easy fix though.

Is there the ability to review applications in the Apple store such that the developer would get this feedback? (No guarantee that they post here).

Baldy

• obsessive maniac
  • Low Bawler
    • CBclimbing
#39 Re: Beastmaker training app (for android)
October 15, 2012, 04:18:54 pm
I rarely frequent that portion of the webnet, but I may look/post tonight if I remember.

If not, feel free to post that jargon up there again in my stead.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#40 Re: Beastmaker training app (for android)
October 15, 2012, 04:26:36 pm
If not, feel free to post that jargon up there again in my stead.

I don't own an apple device nor am I registered with their applications/store/itunes (and never will be on either front).

rich d

• forum hero
#41 Re: Beastmaker training app (for android)
October 15, 2012, 05:42:48 pm

Agree great hangs if amazingly hard for the grade. Well designed but made almost useless by the lack of decent sound or ability to change the volume.

7 on, 3 off
6 reps

Then next set.

Overall,

Baldy

• obsessive maniac
  • Low Bawler
    • CBclimbing
#42 Re: Beastmaker training app (for android)
October 15, 2012, 10:38:24 pm
Yes?

Duma

• forum hero
#43 Re: Beastmaker training app (for android)
October 15, 2012, 10:48:43 pm
I think this is what rich meant:
Agree great hangs if amazingly hard for the grade. Well designed but made almost useless by the lack of decent sound or ability to change the volume.

csl

• junky
#44 Re: Beastmaker training app (for android)
October 15, 2012, 11:48:34 pm
7 on, 3 off
6 reps

Slightly off-topic but this seems a pretty common breakdown for finger board training. This is were I get confused: is this supposed to be for strength, power or power endurance?

Feels like power endurance training to me but the advice I've seen never really makes that clear.

-ross

Dave Mac wrote about this here http://www.onlineclimbingcoach.blogspot.co.uk/2010/02/fingerboarding-timings.html Ross. Hope that helps.

Wipey Why

• forum hero
#45 Re: Beastmaker training app (for android)
October 16, 2012, 08:44:39 am

I thought I'd start off on the easiest workout, 5A. I couldn't even finish the set on the thinner hold  :o

My finger strength must be even worse than I thought.

Dolly

• forum hero
#46 Re: Beastmaker training app (for android)
October 16, 2012, 09:41:29 am
Me too.
The grading is a nonsense. I can see why they've done it but it's poorly executed as is the sound

quiffhanger

• regular
#47 Re: Beastmaker training app (for android)
October 16, 2012, 10:30:04 am
7 on, 3 off
6 reps

-ross

Dave Mac wrote about this here http://www.onlineclimbingcoach.blogspot.co.uk/2010/02/fingerboarding-timings.html Ross. Hope that helps.

Yes it does. Thanks!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal