UKBouldering.com

Surprise bouldering trip in Scotland, need some help on a venue. (Read 3082 times)

rexybo

Hi guys,

I'm looking for opinons on scottish (or, could be lakes, just needs to be within a few hours of Edinburgh) venues as a surprise trip for my partner. Thanks to work commitments I can't remember the last time we have had a whole weekend to get out climbing and as he is about to have a pretty big birthday I am trying to organise a surprise weekend. We're based in Edinburgh, so we get out a lot to Dumby, Northumberland and have been to the local places, craigmore, lednock etc but in this case I'm wanting to head somewhere a bit different. I was hoping someone on here might have some good opinons on more esoteric venues up north? Grade wise, 7a-7c for him, but a good few in the 6c/7a range would be nice for me!

I suppose I am asking because I want to find somewhere that has a bit of soul to it, somewhere you might take your partner just because its a nice place to be, as well some good problems.

Ta, Sam.

andy_e

• forum hero

dave

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Torridon, Cuillin, Glen Nevis.

Beegsyboy

• regular
I suppose I am asking because I want to find somewhere that has a bit of soul to it, somewhere you might take your partner just because its a nice place to be, as well some good problems.

Torridon definitly ticks the boxes!

Jack.G

• regular
See what the weather does, full tank of petrol, BinS in hand and be open to changing any plans and be prepared to go anywhere.

It is always worth ploughing on to your chosen venue even if the weather the whole way there is shit.

If all the planets align then defintley Torridon. Strathnairn would be my second shout

Wood FT

• forum hero

I've only bouldered in Geln Nevis and it was a lovely spot to just sit around, certaintly had soul. walked around Torridon a bit, is it always boggy as round Malcs arete?

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
I went to the Glencoe area on Tuesday. Everything was filthy dirty but the scenery was stunning. Same with Glencroe last week although I didn't check the Kennedy boulder. 

richieb

• menacing presence
is it always boggy as round Malcs arete?

Its actually pretty dry most of the time these days after a bit of drainage work was done. Last year was a virtual drought in the North West anyway. It only really affects the problems on the Ship boulder, all the other stuff has dry landings.

Torridon is a good shout for your surprise weekend, or an Applecross/Torridon combo? Or Glen Nevis. Or Skye.  Any of these in good weather (and pre-midge of course) would be great.

sherlock

• obsessive maniac
Yep,another vote for Torridon

buddah of brodie

torridon is great, as is reiff in the woods, if youre mobile then you could do both, but you must accept that it may rain, so a good contingency is either brin-farr-ruthven near inverness and cummingston where unless there is a sea fog its pretty much weather-proof

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Torridon, and if it's a special birthday and you are feeling flush, stay here http://www.thetorridon.com/

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal