UKBouldering.com

Notice Periods - 3 Months (Read 1963 times)

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
Notice Periods - 3 Months
May 30, 2011, 01:58:49 pm
YYFY - I've just been given a wee promotion at work, from Project Engineer to Senior Project Engineer  :2thumbsup:

However, they've also bumped up the notice period to 3 months. Is this common? I will not have any staff reporting to me and do not feel that the department would be crippled if I left. Is this an unreasonably restrictive clause for a position such as this?

Cheers.

namnok

• forum abuser
  • John May Lives
#1 Re: Notice Periods - 3 Months
May 30, 2011, 02:09:09 pm
known a few companies that did/do 3 month notices. and that was just for a call centre staff role

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#2 Re: Notice Periods - 3 Months
May 30, 2011, 02:25:54 pm

I once left a job which had a one month notice period and gave them one weeks notice. I took legal advice first and was told not to worry about it; companies rarely if ever take any action.

I'm not sure if this is still the same these days but I suspect it is. Shark will probably know for sure.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#3 Re: Notice Periods - 3 Months
May 30, 2011, 02:31:20 pm
Quite common in O&G Industry for Senior positions (as well as mine!).

However most people I know who have had to work to 3 months have benefitted from this though, as if you give notice and tell them you are going to work for the opposition they will often put you on paid "garden leave" as they don't want you in the building any longer if you are seen as a threat to business.

And congratulations. Mo' money Mo' problems? Will this mean less travelling?

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#4 Re: Notice Periods - 3 Months
May 30, 2011, 03:31:15 pm
Cheers guys.

If I was to apply for new job, how would a new employer view a 3 month notice? Could it put them off?

My boss generally gives you the boot on gardening leave as soon as you hand notice in, so I would imagine he'd be keen to cut the 3 months down to 1 month. I'd be quite happy with 3 months paid leave to be honest, but I'm more worried abotu it restircting potential employers. 

SA Chris

• forum hero
#5 Re: Notice Periods - 3 Months
May 30, 2011, 03:37:49 pm
Like I said, it's almost expected in O&G for senior positions, so many companies are pretty understanding.

Reprobate_Rob

• menacing presence
#6 Re: Notice Periods - 3 Months
May 30, 2011, 03:44:48 pm
I've just finished working a 3 month notice period for a contracting firm. When I mentioned the notice period to my new employers at the interview stage and asked if it would go against me, I was told by the HR chap that legally they weren't allowed to discriminate on the basis of notice periods.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#7 Re: Notice Periods - 3 Months
May 30, 2011, 04:19:18 pm

If I was to apply for new job, how would a new employer view a 3 month notice? Could it put them off?

As standard and no.

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#8 Re: Notice Periods - 3 Months
May 30, 2011, 04:32:23 pm
Cheers FD, seems like that's just he way it is! Now I can stop worrying about my contract, and start worrying about getting my job done!

Duma

• forum hero
#9 Re: Notice Periods - 3 Months
May 30, 2011, 05:07:13 pm
Be grateful, mine's 4 months and I don't get the previous years bonus if i leave before its paid - which is end of March the next year.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#10 Re: Notice Periods - 3 Months
May 30, 2011, 07:35:02 pm
Yeah, we don't get that either. Lots of people give notice 1st of Jan!

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#11 Re: Notice Periods - 3 Months
May 30, 2011, 08:11:18 pm
I've experienced both sides of the coin on this one, have to say (and especially given the economic climate) that a longer notice period is arguably a benefit to you.

Company 1 - one month notice period

Fine until they decided to make me redundant (after I'd only been there 8 months so no redundancy packages), thereby meaning they could give me the heave-ho by paying me off with only one month's salary. Given that I was skint when this happened I'd have preferred a longer notice period so that at least they'd have had to pay more to get shot of me!

Company 2 - three month notice period

After previous experience, great I thought, that's a decent insurance policy in the event that history repeats itself. This was fine until I wanted to move on (along with a few other members of the team).

In the event it wasn't a problem with a bit of negotiation - and I was lucky that my new job were keen to get me on board asap. Basically I underlined that my preference was a planned handover, everything fully documented, no impact on client experience etc and negotiation on leaving date, but the alternative was that I could just give my laptop and pass back there and then. In the end they decided the former was preferable.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 08:23:02 pm by tommytwotone »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal