UKBouldering.com

Which Puncture Resistant Road Tyres (Read 3756 times)

Stubbs

Which Puncture Resistant Road Tyres
May 25, 2011, 09:04:25 am
Word, so I've had some Armadillos on for a while now, and whilst I haven't had any punctures, it does sometimes feel like you're riding around with the brakes on!

What do you peeps recommend for a good trade off in between rolling resistance and puncture protection?  Every set of reviews I look at seems to have at least one or two saying the tyres are crap and they still get a load of punctures.

Any help for a n00b greatly appreciated.

Yossarian

• forum hero
I've always used Gatorskins until recently - always found them pretty good, though I did get a couple of punctures at the end of a long Audax day earlier this year so I thought I'd try something else.

Bought some Bontrager Race Lite Hard Cases.  Again, they've been pretty good - no complaints really.

That said, they both still feel pretty dead compared to supple summer tyres.  I have my Ultremo R1 pumped up to about 130 - 140psi at the back, and that feels way more comfy than the Hard Cases at 100.

mr__j5

• menacing presence
  • Peter J
  • tall, bendy and weak
Although I don't ride on much nasty commutting type road or when it's pissing with rain I have ridden Conti GP 4000 for years and have had almost 0 punctures in them except for when they are actually dead and just need binning.

They probably average about 1 puncture every 4000km for me, which I find amazing.

surfchimpster

• regular
ey up stubbs !!

I've had conti gator skins for years now and had about 2 punctures

pulled bits of glass out and alsorts would recommend highly

seems like all the hardcore fixie lot use em cos they take a lot of abuse...

Hope alls well daan saaf

cheers... Matt

Dolly

• forum hero
Another vote for Conti GPs.
Never had any problems with them

Tom de Gay

• stalker
Maxxis refuse - better traction in the wet than armadillos, better puncture resistance (since they made armadilos softer a couple of years ago), lighter. Been using these for two years in London, plus some longer rides, with no problems.

Stubbs

Thanks all, some good facts to chew over!

groovedog

• addict
ey up stubbs !!

I've had conti gator skins for years now and had about 2 punctures

pulled bits of glass out and alsorts would recommend highly

seems like all the hardcore fixie lot use em cos they take a lot of abuse...

Hope alls well daan saaf

cheers... Matt

i'd second these. had punctures all the time with old michelins these are brilliant. Ended up getting the thickest road ones, much better for the pot holes on the commute. Surprised how grippy they are in the wet too.

fatkid2000

• junky
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/vittoria-open-pave-evo-cg-clincher-tyre/

I got given these - which are slightly on the pricey side - and they seem pretty good. Better grip than the contis.

I've also commuted on conti 4 seasons which were good - I preferred them to gatorskins.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal