UKBouldering.com

A "what car" thread for this decade?? (Read 9656 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Cool forgot to mention Fords, had been browsing Focus and Mondeo, will take that into account.

Have a look at a focus estate and get some snow tyres for the winter. If you can find a Zetec with the "climate pack" you get the heated front window which will cumulatively save you a few hours of scraping ice off the windscreen every winter.

A bit dull and a bit plasticky but cheap to run.

Wipey Why

• forum hero

I'm glad you've said that about the Caddy. I was looking at one quite seriously before I ordered the company car and eventually decided I couldn't be bothered with something practical(ish) and ended up going for something fast(ish).

What did you end up getting?

Mini Cooper S. I actually wanted another Renaultsport Clio but the company car tax on them is ridiculously high.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
I thought you said the Golf GTD was a bit too "look at me"?  ;)

Wipey Why

• forum hero
I thought you said the Golf GTD was a bit too "look at me"?  ;)

I don't like the fact it looks like a GTI, but is nowhere near as quick or as capable. It almost felt like one of idiots who put an M3 badge on the back of a 318.

I ended up with the Mini because it was the cheapest way to go fast on the car allowance I had, but also left me enough money to put a few options on it. 

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

I don't like the fact it looks like a GTI, but is nowhere near as quick or as capable. It almost felt like one of idiots who put an M3 badge on the back of a 318.

Ha ha. Or the Cosworth whale tail on a 1.0 Fiesta which I once saw? I know what you mean but I'm not so sure though, the GTD doesn't look that flashy at all to me and it's not exactly underpowered. They are overpriced though.

I ended up with the Mini because it was the cheapest way to go fast on the car allowance I had, but also left me enough money to put a few options on it.

Fair enough. It's just personal taste but I'd never buy a Mini.

robertostallioni

• forum hero

It's just personal taste but I'd never buy a Mini.

Too many wolf whistles from builders?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Jasper got put off Minis because of the wolf whistles he got last time he was in this one.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
On the topic of the VW Caddy...just found this - 150Bhp, dropped on Bentley Continental rims!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2007-57-Vanworx-Own-VW-Caddy-Mk3-Like-Sportline-/270748810580?pt=UK_Commercial_Trucks&hash=item3f09e2fd54

runt

• obsessive maniac
Quick vote for a non turbo legacy, it's better on tires than my mondeo which chewed the front pair regularly. Infinitely more enjoyable handling/gearbox/throttle response etc etc if that matters to you, and post 2003 ish german like interiors. Maybe consider a cheapish estate on lpg?

Iesu

• obsessive maniac
Quick vote for a non turbo legacy, it's better on tires than my mondeo which chewed the front pair regularly. Infinitely more enjoyable handling/gearbox/throttle response etc etc if that matters to you, and post 2003 ish german like interiors. Maybe consider a cheapish estate on lpg?

friend has one rusting out back of the farm yard; apparently spares had to come from Japan = tres expensive!

mr__j5

• menacing presence
  • Peter J
  • tall, bendy and weak

I've got a 1998 non turbo legacy and I love it. It's actually my second. I've had this one for about 6 years & 80,000 miles.

Yes, parts can be expensive, but they are very reliable so don't actually need bits that often.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal