UKBouldering.com

Fundraiser lectures Grindleford: Long, Bransby, Houdling and PICKLES! (Read 6375 times)

El Mocho

• forum abuser
12th June, 7pm, The Maynard, Grindleford. £10 per ticket.

Been arranging a fundraising lecture for a good friend of mine in America - he's undergoing treatment for cancer, which is not fully covered on his health insurance, so he and/or his wife could end up hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt. He's an amazing alpinist who I was lucky enough to climb with in Patagonia - for more info on the Fuck Cancer campaign, check out www.beanfever.com

So we've organised a 3 for 1 lecture bonanza!

Adam Long: the guardian of gritstone ethics demonstrates 48 ways to complete West Side Story through the medium of modern dance and mime (or something similar about gritstone...)

Me harking back to the days before marriage and parenthood and waffling about being hardcore in Patagonia (with Bean)

International playboy and rockstar Leo Houlding on The Prophet, joined by VERY special guest, Jason (Manliest Man) Pickles, for his inaugural slideshow (all heckling appreciated).

We've got an auction, with loads of stuff donated by DMM, Patagonia, Evolv, Berghaus, The Climbing Works, Vertebrate Publishing, UKClimbing, Metolius, Posing Productions, Outside, Roc Over.
We'll even have a climbing tombola, with chalk bags, quickdraws, DVDs, books, posters etc as prizes - bargain!

Tickets are available from the Works, Outside Hathersage, Roc Over Wall, or PM/email me.
Remember folks, it's all for Chaaarideee...
(and there might even be a surprise appearance by Big Ron - going to try and tie him down to a tap dance routine in the interval).

El Mocho

• forum abuser
Just wanted to say thanks to RAB, who off their own back approached me and donated £400-worth of jackets for the auction.

We've now got auction and tombola items worth over £2500, so depending on how drunk/wealthy/tight-arsed people are feeling on the night, there could be some bargains to be had. Some of the items include: Patagonia jackets and vests; Berghaus jacket, passes for Climbing Works and Rock Over walls, brand new DMM ropes, Evolv rock boots (in your size, obviously), Peak Bouldering Guide, plus DVDs, chalk bags, quickdraws, posters, books etc. For a full list with sizes and colours etc, go to the Beyond Hope blog at http://climbersblogs.blogspot.com/ where I will have posted it shortly....

It's this Sunday - there should still be tickets available on the door, but PM or email me if you want to make sure you get one.
See you there,
Ben

ding dong

• addict
dissapointed i cant go. has Ron commited to the dance routine yet? If so i might have to drop everything to attend.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Roll up, roll up, see West side story climbed twelve different ways! In mime! More excitingly, I've seen ElMo's routine and its basically stand-up, and Jason and Leo promise something they're not sure they have the nerves to go through with... not to be missed!

Plus, it sounds like there might be some real gear bargains to be had... and you might get a new Bouldering guide before anyone else!!

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Good effort to all involved, I enjoyed all the talks, very different. Some excellent reminiscing with JBs retrospective of how he's seen and helped evolve gritstone climbing over recent years. Ben's amusing antics in Patagonia and the Jason and Leo show bantering about The Prophet. It was nice to see with the latter they recognised that quite of bit of the audience would know quite a bit about the Prophet already so they showed us some previously unseen (?) footage from their epic sit out of a major Yosemite storm under a portaledge flysheet prior to finishing the route. This was some rarely seen evidence of the types of lengths you have to go to get a world class big wall tick, beyond just being a bloody strong climber. The well seen footage of Leo climbing the beautiful crux pitch is probably some of the best climbing footage ever but brilliantly contrasted with this misty, shaky footage that still generated a similar heart in mouth feeling.

Nice one fellas for a top evening in a good cause (and a big up to the girls behinds the scenes running the show! :bow: )

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
 :agree: Enjoyed the evening too.  Thanks to those who organised and talked.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Thanks everyone who came down - great night!!  ;D ;D

Hopefully BBGuns will be along with the totaliser in a bit. Good to see Leo digging so deep to buy a child's bike Johnny found in a skip too.

Snoops

• obsessive maniac
Thanks everyone who came down - great night!!  ;D ;D

Hopefully BBGuns will be along with the totaliser in a bit. Good to see Leo digging so deep to buy a child's bike Johnny found in a skip too.

And yourself for Moon's medal, nice one :clap2:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
I thought it was BBGuns (El Mocho) who got Moon's medal & shoes?

Can't remember who got Johnny's cobblestone though.  :lol:

Snoops

• obsessive maniac
I thought it was BBGuns (El Mocho) who got Moon's medal & shoes?

Can't remember who got Johnny's cobblestone though.  :lol:

Your right.
Daisy - cobblestone?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
It was Lu. I think she's going to use it as a doorstop!

El Mocho

• forum abuser
Thanks to everyone for coming along and the nice comments on here.

Looking like it will be about £2,500 (once everyone pays all their debts).

I was really happy to see such a good turn out at the do (all 120 seats taken) and that so many people got stuck into the auction and tombola.

As I said a few times on the night a big thankyou to all the people who provided auction lots and other prizes, the only extras from the above post are Dave Simmo, Kat Love, Johnny Dawes, Andy Cave, Ben Moon and Daisy (although I think this was more Percy's doing). And another big thanks to Percy for managing to persuade so many people to part with their cash.

I've got a few items left (we ran out of time in the auction) so I will probably be selling them on here/UKC (obviously with all the money to go to Bean).

Lastly a big thanks to Adam, Leo, Jason and all the people who helped out on the night.

pjkp

Just to say what a great evening we had, enjoyed all the talks. Glad plenty of money was raised.
Thanks

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Looking like it will be about £2,500 (once everyone pays all their debts).

Let me know where I should be sending the money (have sent you both a PM and an email, but appreciate your busy).

Control freak

• forum abuser
    • nick fletcher photography
I've got a few items left (we ran out of time in the auction) so I will probably be selling them on here/UKC (obviously with all the money to go to Bean).

What have you got left word - happy to part with a few dollars for a good cause  :thumbsup:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
If anyone can contact Ben, could you ask him to get in touch with me, have sent PM and email but not heard back and am keen to pay for the rope I got the auction.

El Mocho

• forum abuser
OK folks,

Gonna put the last few items from the auction in the for sale section on here, not much left but please have a look and see what extra bits of cash we can get.

If you check the beanfever.com website you will see that what was looking so positive a few weeks back has proved a bit of a red herring and things are looking pretty (very) hardcore for Bean and Helen. I am sure they both will really appreciate the fact that so many people - even those who don't know them - are doing what they can to help and sending positive thoughts there way. Fuck cancer.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal