UKBouldering.com

regrets, I've had a few... (Read 3059 times)

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
regrets, I've had a few...
March 01, 2004, 11:48:24 am
I had a sudden realisation that I've been climbing for 8 years now, certainly doesn't feel like it.

I'm assuming everyone's seen the Channel 4 thing on at the mo where various peeps are saying what they'd do if they could start their life over again, so....

...if you could start your climbing life over, what would you do differently?

For me, I wish I'd moved to Sheffield rather than staying in Derby...oh, and not waited till i was 24 to get serious about training and getting focused!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 regrets, I've had a few...
March 01, 2004, 11:58:56 am
- I would have pioneered modern training techniques before they had been invented  :wink:
- I would have built a woodie 5 years earlier.
- I would have given up trying to be a bold trad climber and just bouldered without feeling guilty about it much earlier on.
- I'd have spent a few seasons in Font.
- I wouldn't have taken an 8 year layoff to take pills and go dancing !!! Don't regret it as such, but I sort of wish I could have carried on with doing other things as well, instead of getting totally sucked into that scene.

dave

#2 regrets, I've had a few...
March 01, 2004, 12:26:08 pm
  • done more routes
  • been less of a fag when i was on routes
  • done loads of VSs instead of pushing soft E2s and then now maybe i'd be able to jam properly
  • eaten more brocolli
  • not fallen off that thing at font at done me ankle
  • not worn ronhills
  • not bought those snap pants
  • bought more than 1 pair of those S7 pants when they were cheap in the Outside marquee.

billy

• regular
#3 regrets, I've had a few...
March 01, 2004, 12:47:57 pm
not got a job and gone climbing instead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#4 regrets, I've had a few...
March 01, 2004, 02:53:27 pm
I didn't go recreational drug taking for 8 years like bubs, just 18 months, but in a similar fashion I got totally sucked in and didn't go climbing, I don't think I regret it, but had I kept up my interest in de rocks I would probably feel the benefit now.

In addition, I would like not to have been such a big poof when it comes to being above a bolt/gear.

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#5 regrets, I've had a few...
March 01, 2004, 03:25:47 pm
its funny cos i sometimes feel  that the 5 or so years i spent dole climbing were wasted yet others see it as something they wished they had done! Have to say that at times when we had so little money me and ang lived on her dads allotment vegtables for a month cos we had NO money i have to say the lifestyle seemed very unappealing!
Now with a little security it seems a very simple way of life that was great fun!
Something i do regret is the fuking hours i spent training in a completely useless manner, endless reps on weights and traverses that did nothing for me in hindsight! The days before all this modern training milarky and knowledge were confused to say the least! anyone for some squats......

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#6 regrets, I've had a few...
March 01, 2004, 03:31:00 pm
In some ways the doley climbing days were some of my best (took about 3 years out to climb full time), but I agree, the lifestyle wasn't always that appealing, and I'd find it hard to live like that nowdays.
In fact, if I hadn't have been such a thieving little bastard I'm sure I'd have given it up much sooner  :wink:

I agree with you about the training Fatboy, hence my comments about inventing modern training techniques above.
I'm sure those 4 to 5 hours training just about every day did us some good, but it certainly wasn't the best way to train climbing. We certainly learned the meaning of "overtraining", but then that's what everyone did then.  

:oldgit:

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#7 regrets, I've had a few...
March 01, 2004, 03:47:01 pm
I too did the obligatory three years on the dole. Strangly often found it hard to get as psched for stuff as i do now.
 Biggest regret - Not learning to drive at 17, now 30 and just getting round to learning :oops:  :roll:  :bash: .

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#8 regrets, I've had a few...
March 01, 2004, 08:36:02 pm
Not learning to drive at 17, now 30 and just getting round to learning

Did exactly the same thing and passed a few weeks before my 30th!!!

a dense loner

• forum hero
#9 regrets, I've had a few...
March 01, 2004, 10:59:05 pm
wondered why i am always terrified in car with u  :lol:

SamT

• forum hero
#10 regrets, I've had a few...
March 02, 2004, 01:34:50 pm
Quote from: "dave"
  • done loads of VSs instead of pushing soft E2s and then now maybe i'd be able to jam properly

Heed the man for he speaks the truth.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal