UKBouldering.com

DJ Yoda in Sheff on sunday (Read 8057 times)

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#25 DJ Yoda in Sheff on sunday
October 28, 2003, 12:32:31 pm
Re Sankeys and Bugged out, they are there on 7/11 and not in December by the looks of it.

Haven't quite invested in slippers, although I can be found walking the streets in flip flops.

vivahate

• forum abuser
  • Dragonaut
#26 DJ Yoda in Sheff on sunday
November 16, 2003, 06:28:20 pm
Yoda has ruined a good night out for me on many occasions. C&P series were dead good but his persistence to play shitty house remixes and sets that have non of the qualities that made his mixtapes good. DJ Dexter does the same. You wanna go see some good DJ's its gotta be the perverts, who aren't afraid to use thier skills in a live situation.

Yoda, the top-roper of Djing, afraid to put it all on the line...

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#27 DJ Yoda in Sheff on sunday
November 16, 2003, 06:48:39 pm
Quote from: "xvivahatex"
You wanna go see some good DJ's its gotta be the perverts, who aren't afraid to use thier skills in a live situation.

I've only seen the Scratch Perverts live once but they were well good - scratched it up but kept it all danceable rather than getting too into their own craft. I remember seeing DJ Food and Coldcut at the Leadmill in Sheffield and it was good up until the point where everyone stopped dancing and just stood round the decks watching. Too trainspotterish for me - I went home.

vivahate

• forum abuser
  • Dragonaut
#28 DJ Yoda in Sheff on sunday
November 16, 2003, 08:28:29 pm
im a turntablist so not trainspotter enough for me! try Q-Bert, very spotterish but apparently even lay-folk enjoy to see what he can do on the wheels of steel

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#29 DJ Yoda in Sheff on sunday
November 16, 2003, 08:39:52 pm
Christ! Another ukb dj !!

don't get me wrong, I like to watch turntablists doing their thing and have a few battle videos tucked away somewhere (Dj Noise - he da man!), but when it gets to the stage where the whole dancefloor is just standing round the booth, that's a bit much for me....

vivahate

• forum abuser
  • Dragonaut
#30 DJ Yoda in Sheff on sunday
November 16, 2003, 08:55:49 pm
yeah i know what you mean.. when im playing out i find it hard to resist the temptation to cut a few bars..

you reffering to Noise's set on the Summit video, it AMAZING, if that the one you mean

check out Q-Berts wavetwisters Cd/DVD, it ALL been done with skratch.. pretty amazing¬

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#31 DJ Yoda in Sheff on sunday
November 16, 2003, 09:02:51 pm
I've got a couple of tapes with some Noize on them - I just think the way he battles with vocal samples dissing his oponent with them is hilarious. The other one I really liked is that Cash Money set where he's guesting at, but not competing in the (I think) DMC champs. You can download it on p2p too.

What do you think to Final Scratch? Lots of DJs seem to be using it now.

vivahate

• forum abuser
  • Dragonaut
#32 DJ Yoda in Sheff on sunday
November 16, 2003, 09:30:04 pm
its a hard one, it would save me so much money on records, like thousands of pounds, but you'd have to lug a laptop around with you, and set it up in a DJ booth all the time, it'd be confusing as well as you'd probally take an effective bag of like 2000 tunes to a gig. I don't think it could ever be replace battle weapons, cause you wouldn't have the time to interface with a computer between records in a battle, unless you could upload a whole routine to one programme (i.e. one records worth).

I dunno, vinyl is struggling to stay alive as it is. And carrying a record box to a gig i consider to be serious training for climbing, so i like it how it is.

Each to their own i guess, but im sure one day ill look into it

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#33 DJ Yoda in Sheff on sunday
November 17, 2003, 02:06:31 pm
I absolutely love noise's 96 dmc final set -mint (on waste)
Have seen him live with mc suprnatural a few times and they rock the place :up:

vivahate

• forum abuser
  • Dragonaut
#34 DJ Yoda in Sheff on sunday
November 17, 2003, 05:38:52 pm
supernatz is amazing his "Cosmic Slop" tune is almost always in my sets, as well as Work It Out..

the Allies are a bit good too

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#35 DJ Yoda in Sheff on sunday
February 29, 2004, 10:53:08 am
March 5th

Tribal Sessions @ Sankeys:

DJ Yoda + Krafty Kuts + Resident DJs And Guests

Could be a winner  :D

Doylo

• forum hero
#36 DJ Yoda in Sheff on sunday
February 29, 2004, 08:13:57 pm
Any techno lovers out there should checkout Jeff Mills sometime. Saw him in London last night and it was something else!! :crazy:  :crazy:

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#37 DJ Yoda in Sheff on sunday
March 01, 2004, 10:44:58 am
Meester Doyle - myself and Bubba are long term supporters of the skinny black dervish that is Jeff Mills, arguably one of the most skilled deck smiths in the business, he layers live drum programming over his three deck wizardry and has made some of the best techno records/albums eva!

I will do you a burn of the Purpose maker.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#38 DJ Yoda in Sheff on sunday
March 01, 2004, 11:17:29 am
Ooh yeah, Jeff Mills!

First saw him at one of the early Tribal Gatherings in about '93/'94 and he was singlehandedly responsible for changing my musical tastes around from the tail end of what is now known as "old skool" into proper techno.

When he's on form, he rocks it - as Dobbin says, his 3 decks and an 808 sessions are something to believe. He can tap drum patterns straight into the 808 and then mix them out live into his set. No mean task.

He also used to be known as "The Wizard" when he dj'd in Detroit back in the 80's - some of his old sets are good stuff if you can find them..

My only complaint is that since his sets are 80% of his own material, they can be very samey. But I still try to download a set of his every couple of months to see what he's up to.

Doylo

• forum hero
#39 DJ Yoda in Sheff on sunday
March 01, 2004, 12:49:42 pm
Quote from: "dobbin"
Meester Doyle - myself and Bubba are long term supporters of the skinny black dervish that is Jeff Mills, arguably one of the most skilled deck smiths in the business, he layers live drum programming over his three deck wizardry and has made some of the best techno records/albums eva!

I will do you a burn of the Purpose maker.

cheers matey

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal