UKBouldering.com

Moving to London on Monday (Read 14621 times)

AdamD

• player
Moving to London on Monday
May 14, 2011, 06:24:26 pm
Hey Guys,

Well I'm moving to Wimbledon on Monday, and I'm bringing my car down, but I've been wondering I can get to the southern sandstone within an hour, but which places are best to go for grades around font7b and above? Or is there anywhere nearby I don't know about within 1-2hour drive?

Thanks.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#1 Re: Moving to London on Monday
May 14, 2011, 07:22:32 pm
No direct advice but this tool may prove useful:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/map/#main

AdamD

• player
#2 Re: Moving to London on Monday
May 14, 2011, 07:27:06 pm
Yeah I've tried it, and there are a few areas but I'm wondering which are better. ;D

moodyboy

tomtom

• forum hero
#4 Re: Moving to London on Monday
May 15, 2011, 01:11:15 am
Its years (c.13) since I lived in the SE and went to the sandstone - but I liked it.. (wee bit of an acquired taste..). I lived/grew up near Epsom, and it was an hour on a fast run, so from Wimbledon I'd give yourself 60-90 min (probably closer to the latter).. Stone farm is the nearest (time wise) all the others are probably 10-20 min further on... All times +- a healthy chunk depending on traffic etc.. I think I once made it to Stone farm in 50 min.. but I was probably driving like a man posessed..

I suppose being in Wimbledon, you're not too far from the A3 - so you could belt it down to Portland etc.. but thats quite a way and more like 2 hours..

chriss

• obsessive maniac
#5 Re: Moving to London on Monday
May 15, 2011, 03:33:07 pm
The guy that runs the Sandstone Hard routes Facebook page is finishing off a guide for the area, out end of the month apparently.

Edit- Although it's been hot & dry there are still a fair few routes/ problems that are still too damp to climb on at the mo, but still enough good stuff to keep you interested.

AdamD

• player
#6 Re: Moving to London on Monday
May 15, 2011, 06:30:03 pm
OK thanks guys, it looks like this guidebook may prove to be useful! I'm coming from predominantly climbing on Limestone, so I assume I'm going to get spanked for a while trying to climb the sandy stuff.  :-\

tomtom

• forum hero
#7 Re: Moving to London on Monday
May 15, 2011, 06:37:47 pm
OK thanks guys, it looks like this guidebook may prove to be useful! I'm coming from predominantly climbing on Limestone, so I assume I'm going to get spanked for a while trying to climb the sandy stuff.  :-\

Its pretty good once you get into it.. lime will stand you in good stead (good finger strength).. just prepare to be dismayed by how scrittly your feet feel...

dave k

• obsessive maniac
#8 Re: Moving to London on Monday
May 18, 2011, 01:41:07 pm
I am sure there is stuff to go at (7b ish) at several places, but i found High Rocks to be the best rock and best bouldering (unfortunately they do charge, but its worth it). Get an annual pass and you don`t have to worry about getting caught for sneaking in!!   

AdamD

• player
#9 Re: Moving to London on Monday
May 19, 2011, 10:11:22 am
Ok awesome, I think I may head down this weekend then, what's the usually amount of time needed to dry on Sandstone?  :-\

Lund

• obsessive maniac
#10 Re: Moving to London on Monday
May 19, 2011, 11:45:54 am
I am sure there is stuff to go at (7b ish) at several places, but i found High Rocks to be the best rock and best bouldering (unfortunately they do charge, but its worth it). Get an annual pass and you don`t have to worry about getting caught for sneaking in!!

Don't sneak in, but not because you might get caught.  But because the access situation sucks as it is, and it'll only get worse if people keep on sneaking in, and piss everyone off.

i.munro

• junky
#11 Re: Moving to London on Monday
May 19, 2011, 01:35:57 pm

Ok awesome, I think I may head down this weekend then, what's the usually amount of time needed to dry on Sandstone?  :-\

Varies wildly from crag to crag problem to problem & even hold to hold. High rocks is notoriously hard to predict NB the rock is even more fragile than usual when damp. & while I'm being boring  :please: be obsessive about cleaning shoes. Sand's a really effective abrasive of the soft rock. I strongly recommend a Bleausard style doormat.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#12 Re: Moving to London on Monday
May 19, 2011, 03:04:44 pm
Like tom , i used to live Epsom way. travel times can vary ridiculously depending on time of day you travel. Rush hour can double travel time. I've heard it's a good option to get to some of the crags by train at busy times, not sure what walk is like at the other side, might be worth looking at Google maps, never actually did it myself. I think from Wimbledon you need to change at Clapham Junction.

Tom de Gay

• stalker
#13 Re: Moving to London on Monday
May 19, 2011, 10:20:50 pm
What Ian said, regarding doormats.
Bowles is an easy one on the train and in many ways preferable to being stuck in traffic.
If you find yourself in Shoreditch, don't forget your boots - the boulder in Shoreditch Park is surprisingly good.

mloskot

• regular
#14 Re: Moving to London on Monday
May 20, 2011, 11:27:55 am
If you find yourself in Shoreditch, don't forget your boots - the boulder in Shoreditch Park is surprisingly good.

Same with Mabley Green boulder further east (north-east?)

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=9499

Lund

• obsessive maniac
#15 Re: Moving to London on Monday
May 20, 2011, 01:03:56 pm
Also, you need to be aware of what you're coming down to.  This from the yorkshire post:

I SPENT four days staying in London, where I saw the very best and the very worst of Britain.

The best, and this is where we still lead the entire world, was the wonderful wedding of Prince William and Catherine Middleton. It was almost impossible to find fault with any of it. The people, planning, music, weather, costumes, precision, designs, colour, organisation, timing, behaviour, discipline, love, respect, tradition, awareness were all an absolute joy to behold.

The worst was walking and travelling through north London, in particular Finsbury Park and the surrounding area. With the filth, dirty buildings, damaged cars and vans, the squalor, stench of cheap heated-up food, traffic congestion, dense population and crowded footpaths, it was hard to believe the contrast.

The wanker, tosspiece, dickhead, nobhead, cock-sucker, dickwad, nob-jockey, felching monarchist obviously doesn't appreciate this fine city.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#16 Re: Moving to London on Monday
May 20, 2011, 01:43:57 pm
Personally I abhor London and resent it when work send me there. Not for any of the reasons the above monarchist states but because...

a) people aren't that friendly in general, they tend to be busy getting on with their own lives getting to where they want to be.

b) its a looong way to decent climbing or more generally areas of outstanding natural beauty.

... and the clincher for me...

c) is Fucking expensive! London weighting allowances are a Fucking joker and should be at least for times larger. Beer at close to £5/pint is taking the piss.

Lund

• obsessive maniac
#17 Re: Moving to London on Monday
May 20, 2011, 02:40:40 pm
Personally I abhor London and resent it when work send me there. Not for any of the reasons the above monarchist states but because...

a) people aren't that friendly in general, they tend to be busy getting on with their own lives getting to where they want to be.

b) its a looong way to decent climbing or more generally areas of outstanding natural beauty.

c) is Fucking expensive! London weighting allowances are a Fucking joker and should be at least for times larger. Beer at close to £5/pint is taking the piss.

As a northerner darn sarf, I think b) is true, unless you're talking about font.  a) is bullshit.  "Eee, we're just so friendly up 'ere, not like that lot in that london."  Utter tosh.  Show me some SCIENCE to back it up.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#18 Re: Moving to London on Monday
May 20, 2011, 02:56:18 pm
As a northerner darn sarf, I think b) is true, unless you're talking about font.  a) is bullshit.  "Eee, we're just so friendly up 'ere, not like that lot in that london."  Utter tosh.  Show me some SCIENCE to back it up.

Well sociology isn't really a SCIENCE, but this is based on having grown up west of London and passed through the city a fair bit over the years.  People just don't talk to you as freely as they do in Sheffshire.  Simple things like wishing people a nice day when you've been into the newsagent to buy some pr0n, I never once had anyone say anything nice to me when daaarn soouuf, dead friendly up here, "Nods as good as wink to a blind bat" and all that.

The Tube is an exemplar of this point, hundreds of thousands of people all furitvely trying to avoid eye contact less anyone dare to speak to them.  But catch the eye of the wrong person who takes exception to you looking around at your fellow human beings and...."What da FUUUCK you looking at?"

This is of course solely as a visitor which is how I felt when I first moved to South Yorkshire back in 1995, where people were friendly from the off.  I'm sure if I spent some time living in a particular area, engendering friendships and getting to know an area and the people within it I might have a different opinion (my opinions of Perth, Oz changed from first impressions upon arrival through the year that I stayed there).

Its still further to Font from London than it is to the Peak District.

c) is Fucking expensive! London weighting allowances are a fucking joke and should be at least four times larger. Beer at close to £5/pint is taking the piss.

Presumably no disagreement on this front  ;)

Stubbs

#19 Re: Moving to London on Monday
May 20, 2011, 03:18:27 pm
There's still Sam Smiths pubs in London, and away from the West End beer prices are not too much more than in northern cities, but yeah, it will always be cheaper for me to get a round in Otley than Hackney.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#20 Re: Moving to London on Monday
May 20, 2011, 03:54:37 pm
Will keep an eye out for Sam Smith's, got to go to London for a days "training" on the 7th June, seems the nearest is one "Rising Sun", I envisage a liquid lunch!  :beer2:

Stubbs

#21 Re: Moving to London on Monday
May 20, 2011, 04:01:14 pm
If you're over that way The Eagle   is a very nice pub with excellent beer and food, a little more pricey though.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#22 Re: Moving to London on Monday
May 20, 2011, 04:03:35 pm
Thats 20 minutes walk from where I'll be (Royal Statistical Society) which should permit two-pints in an hours lunch break.  :pissed:

Iesu

• obsessive maniac
#23 Re: Moving to London on Monday
May 20, 2011, 04:13:14 pm
There's still Sam Smiths pubs in London, and away from the West End beer prices are not too much more than in northern cities, but yeah, it will always be cheaper for me to get a round in Otley than Hackney.

well get up here and buy us a round then you cheap bastard

tomtom

• forum hero
#24 Re: Moving to London on Monday
May 20, 2011, 05:17:24 pm
Like Slackers, I'm a Southerner who's moved up North (for me its been nearly 20 years now..) and I wouldnt move back... The bigger cities up north (especially Leeds) have become more London like as they get bigger and more affluent - but my quality of life is far greater up here than I have (and would have) had down there.

I have to admit I breathe a sigh of relief when I leave London... (its probably pleased when I leave!) ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal