UKBouldering.com

New Pembroke Guides (Read 3170 times)

remus

• forum hero
New Pembroke Guides
May 16, 2011, 11:16:06 pm
Just saw these beauties have been released, though being on the skinter side of poor im a little reluctant to part with my hard borrowed cash.

Anyone gotten there mitts on them? thoughts? opinions?

grimer

• forum hero
#1 Re: New Pembroke Guides
May 17, 2011, 12:03:23 am
Yes I had a flick throught and thought they looked really good. Not that I know Pembroke that well but saw topos of crags I didn't know about that you knew were there somewhere.

Again, I don't know Pembroke that well, and I also couldn't point out the Costa Dorada or Buoux within 300 miles on a map, but the areas in the title didn't mean much to me. It all looked gravy all the same.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#2 Re: New Pembroke Guides
May 19, 2011, 11:50:29 am
I've seen versions of the manuscript but not the finished items.  They looked very good and there is an enormous amount of excellent climbing in them that is not in any other guide.  I do wonder though how many people are going to shell out £100 for all 5 volumes when even well-known and Rockfaxed areas (Mewsford) were deserted during the traditional peak season (this Easter).

Iesu

• obsessive maniac
#3 Re: New Pembroke Guides
May 19, 2011, 12:02:41 pm
I've seen versions of the manuscript but not the finished items.  They looked very good and there is an enormous amount of excellent climbing in them that is not in any other guide.  I do wonder though how many people are going to shell out £100 for all 5 volumes when even well-known and Rockfaxed areas (Mewsford) were deserted during the traditional peak season (this Easter).

HOW MUCH?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#4 Re: New Pembroke Guides
May 19, 2011, 12:06:53 pm
You would need to be living in Pembroke itself to justify forking out for all 5 volumes. Looks good though.

Paul B

• forum hero
#5 Re: New Pembroke Guides
May 19, 2011, 02:03:13 pm
when even well-known and Rockfaxed areas (Mewsford) were deserted during the traditional peak season (this Easter).

Interesting, I went here on the August bank holiday to miss the crowds. 8 people abbed in as we arrived.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#6 Re: New Pembroke Guides
May 19, 2011, 02:19:27 pm
VG had a couple last time I was in - they looked superb. Splitting them is preferable to the alternatives isn't it? I'd far rather have five definitive books small enough to carry than either two massive ones, or a selective guide. I doubt too many folk will buy all of them at once anyway, are all five volumes even out yet?

remus

• forum hero
#7 Re: New Pembroke Guides
May 19, 2011, 04:49:54 pm
No, they're being released a few at a time. Think there's a select in the works as well for those who (understandably) dont want to fork out for the set.

To everyone else, thanks for the views. Sounds as if they're up to the same high standards as the most recent crop of CC guides. Time to whip the wallet out.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal