UKBouldering.com

Chromatic Aberration (Read 2827 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Chromatic Aberration
May 05, 2011, 10:00:54 pm
Is it lessened if you stop the lens down? Took some pics of sun through clouds on the new zoom at 400 and got some quite bad fringing. Was a bit of a rush so didn't have tripod and had to balance lens on knees, and was shooting at max f stop.

peewee

• obsessive maniac
  • Wilko Baggins
  • If in doubt, Lock it out (Dynamically)
#1 Re: Chromatic Aberration
May 05, 2011, 10:15:09 pm
Depending on the lens it might have it on this site http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/ you can adjust the zoom and Fstop and it shows you where it is worst.

Pete

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#2 Re: Chromatic Aberration
May 05, 2011, 10:28:50 pm
Yeah, you should see an improvement as you stop down. It might not totally disappear, I think modern lenses are increasingly being designed to let some flaws that are fixed in post. Wide range zooms will tend to have it, especially at the longest end. Have you tried the defringing tools in LR?

If you're taking pics of the sun there should be no need for a tripod or stabilisation  - its bright enough that you'll get a decent shutter speed even at f11, right up until the last moments of sunset.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#3 Re: Chromatic Aberration
May 06, 2011, 08:55:21 am
Cheers guys. Not tired doing anything with it yet, last night was the first chance I had to look at them properly on a computer and see what LR can do.

JB, it was literally last moments of sunset, and the sun was only just getting through the clouds. Was shooting at max aperture (5.6 I think) and 400mm, so shutter speed was pretty long even at that.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#4 Re: Chromatic Aberration
May 06, 2011, 10:41:28 am
I think this is one of the worst situations for CA. Very high contrast edges with a narrower than usual spectrum. I'm still surprised you were struggling for shutter speed, the Scottish sun must be feebler than I remember. Try sitting down, bracing elbows on knees, press face to camera, shutter on exhale, and expose for the highlights. Even if you get shake on the first shot, if you take three or four (not with motordrive) one will often be usable.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#5 Re: Chromatic Aberration
May 06, 2011, 10:57:48 am
Try sitting down, bracing elbows on knees, press face to camera, shutter on exhale

yoga for photographers

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#6 Re: Chromatic Aberration
May 06, 2011, 11:13:25 am
Yeah, I should have added navel in, clench perineum and never round your back.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal