UKBouldering.com

Strings (Read 107231 times)

Paul B

• forum hero
#25 Re: Strings
May 05, 2011, 10:14:35 am
thats the Edleweiss I was meaning in my original post. Still, given the price... :whistle:

iain

• forum abuser
#26 Re: Strings
May 05, 2011, 10:48:24 am
I think Tendon do a few different ropes under the 'Master' banner, mine (blue, possibly 9.6mm) is the least hard wearing rope I've ever owned - you only have to stare at the sheath and it starts to wear thin. I know a couple of other people with the same model who've had exactly the same experience.
Handles great, just don't fall or lower off on it.

Was that one with a teflon coating?

A friend's just got a different coloured one to yours that has the coating, only a month old though so no idea about durability. The surface feels odd but it handles well and I was tempted till I saw your post.

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
#27 Re: Strings
May 05, 2011, 10:54:44 am
No special coating on mine, it was pretty furred after 4wks with very few falls and little dogging.

Marky

• player
#28 Re: Strings
May 05, 2011, 12:31:22 pm
Best rope i have ever had is a Mammut Revelation. I bought it as an 80m, and just kept chopping it when needed. Bought it 4 years ago for my long trip, and still got it now. Albeit, 56m's of it.
:agree:

runt

• obsessive maniac
#29 Re: Strings
May 31, 2011, 02:14:25 pm
The tiny Edelweiss dealer in Sisteron had decent handling (supposedly hardwearing but who knows, chunky looking sheath) 80m 9.9 ropes for 100 euros. Saw other folk out using them, and they weren't moaning, pm if you want his number, doesn't have a website.

Paul B

• forum hero
#30 Re: Strings
May 31, 2011, 02:17:32 pm
To add to my earlier list:

the Mammut Vertex SE is rapidly furring, flattening and generaly being quite average.

Beal Joker, does anyone else have any opinions of the sheath of this? Using it as a half the other day a minor swing led to visible core (thankfully for once this wasn't bang on the middle marker)!

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#31 Re: Strings
June 01, 2011, 11:03:09 pm
To add to my earlier list:

the Mammut Vertex SE is rapidly furring, flattening and generaly being quite average.

Beal Joker, does anyone else have any opinions of the sheath of this? Using it as a half the other day a minor swing led to visible core (thankfully for once this wasn't bang on the middle marker)!

that's a relief, i'd considered that one, but glad i didn't plump for it

The effect of abrasion/ scrapes on thinner ropes is amazing, i cut about 1/3-1/2 way through an infinity skinny half rope (8.1mm i think) witha reasonable plummet, with no particular swing. I have also totally degloved about a foot of sheath off a half rope whilst on a route on Dartmoor, merely by trying to flick it out from a flake. The latter is probably more of a comment on the unparalelled viciousness of Dartmoor granite, rather than rope quality.  :offtopic: anyway.... back to sport strings. i ordered a edelrid 9.8 today.... will report back how i find it. 

Duncan Disorderly

• Administrator
  • forum abuser
  • Stealth Punter
#32 Re: Strings
June 02, 2011, 02:35:59 pm
I've been very happy with my Ocun, Holga recommended them to me - he's had a couple and reckons they last well.

The price on these is pretty tasty... Would you go for one of these over any of the others listed here? Kinda thinking that my mammut wire\telephone cord could do with an upgrade...

Oh also in your experience do they fit in a standard Gri Gri...?

:D

Serpico

• forum hero
#33 Re: Strings
June 02, 2011, 04:05:51 pm
The price on these is pretty tasty... Would you go for one of these over any of the others listed here?

For the price definitely, although I haven't had experience of all the others I can't find fault with the Ocun - it's a good workhorse rope.

Oh also in your experience do they fit in a standard Gri Gri...?

yep, I use it with a Grigri all the time.

Duncan Disorderly

• Administrator
  • forum abuser
  • Stealth Punter
#34 Re: Strings
June 03, 2011, 10:35:31 am
Sold.... Off to Spain next week so what better time!
:D

Paul B

• forum hero
#35 Re: Strings
July 03, 2011, 07:41:14 pm
Furthermore, as my other rope was in-service I ended up going bolt-to-bolt on the joker and managed to do this from a freshly chopped rope.

Now clearly skinny ropes aren't ideal for this application but I reckon thats pretty poor regardless considering I don't weigh much and I ordered my better half to take a good few steps in as I dropped off (its not as if she's some form of human anchor either!).

Serpico

• forum hero
#36 Re: Strings
July 03, 2011, 08:13:50 pm
I think Tendon do a few different ropes under the 'Master' banner, mine (blue, possibly 9.6mm) is the least hard wearing rope I've ever owned - you only have to stare at the sheath and it starts to wear thin. I know a couple of other people with the same model who've had exactly the same experience.
Handles great, just don't fall or lower off on it.

Was that one with a teflon coating?

A friend's just got a different coloured one to yours that has the coating, only a month old though so no idea about durability. The surface feels odd but it handles well and I was tempted till I saw your post.

On the off chance that you're still tempted by Tendon - other channel tales of tendon woe.

tomtom

• forum hero
#37 Re: Strings
July 03, 2011, 08:14:50 pm
Furthermore, as my other rope was in-service I ended up going bolt-to-bolt on the joker and managed to do this from a freshly chopped rope.

Now clearly skinny ropes aren't ideal for this application but I reckon thats pretty poor regardless considering I don't weigh much and I ordered my better half to take a good few steps in as I dropped off (its not as if she's some form of human anchor either!).

Ferk me, thats really bad.. like you said, youre not exactly giant haystacks! Almost worth trying to get some ££ back for that..
I'd be right pissed off if just working one line for a day did that..

205Chris

• forum hero
#38 Re: Strings
July 03, 2011, 09:06:23 pm

That pretty much sums up my experience of Beal ropes. Handle well, last 5 minutes.

I've just bought an Edelweiss 9.2mm which I've been pretty impressed with so far.

iain

• forum abuser
#39 Re: Strings
July 04, 2011, 11:06:11 am
On the off chance that you're still tempted by Tendon - other channel tales of tendon woe.

Thanks, I resisted the tendon temptation. Last time I saw my friend's rope it was showing some signs of wear and he's not a heavy user.

Found a Mammut Infinity for a good price whilst on holiday recently and, given the generally good write ups, got that instead, and it's a lovely bright orange so the better half is pleased too.
Like it a lot so far but I'll post back when I've actually used it a bit.

Paul B

• forum hero
#40 Re: Strings
July 07, 2011, 05:02:05 pm
Looks like DMM has entered the rope market, although with its skinniest single being 9.8 they seem a way off the likes of others making lightweight sport ropes straight away?

205Chris

• forum hero
#41 Re: Strings
July 07, 2011, 06:22:44 pm
Looks like DMM has entered the rope market, although with its skinniest single being 9.8 they seem a way off the likes of others making lightweight sport ropes straight away?

I'd be interested to know if DMM have started making their own ropes or if someone else is manufacturing them and then DMM sell them under their own branding?

account_inactive

• forum hero
#42 Re: Strings
July 15, 2011, 10:44:02 am

sidewinder

• obsessive maniac
#43 Re: Strings
July 15, 2011, 11:34:00 am
I'd be interested to know if DMM have started making their own ropes or if someone else is manufacturing them and then DMM sell them under their own branding?

We've forged an alliance with a very reputable European rope manufacturer to bring you our new collection, because we could never produce ropes to anything like the quality of our hardware without such investment that would make the project cost prohibitive. It's a concise range yet we feel it has something for everyone and we're very proud of it...

Not sure who, I am guessing not mammut as they used to distribute their ropes, so Beal/Edelweiss/...?

account_inactive

• forum hero
#44 Re: Strings
July 21, 2011, 08:03:37 pm
Anyone? :shrug:

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#45 Re: Strings
July 21, 2011, 09:28:32 pm
Pretty sure it's Beal.

BTW Edelweiss ropes (1/2 and singles) currently on sale for 40% off at Snow and Rock.

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#46 Re: Strings
July 21, 2011, 09:42:54 pm

Paul B

• forum hero
#47 Re: Strings
July 21, 2011, 11:30:17 pm
Pretty sure it's Beal.

BTW Edelweiss ropes (1/2 and singles) currently on sale for 40% off at Snow and Rock.

or Edelrid...perhaps.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#48 Re: Strings
July 22, 2011, 07:59:14 am

account_inactive

• forum hero
#49 Re: Strings
July 22, 2011, 09:03:30 am
I was actually asking about the two ropes I linked to above

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal