the shizzle > equipment

Strings

<< < (3/72) > >>

duncan:

--- Quote from: 205Chris on May 04, 2011, 10:27:21 am ---Anyone on here owned a Sterling rope? I've never had one but heard good things about them.

--- End quote ---

I have the Sterling Nano (9.2?).  It seems hard-wearing for a skinny rope but is a bit kinky, or perhaps that's just me?  Groovy colours.  Can be very cheap if bought in the USA, not cheap in the UK. 

rc:
FWIW: when looking for a sport rope last year I was told [by bloke running the shop] that many of the main Euro manufacturers had recently (~2009) moved their rope-weaving operations to Madagascar. I think this included at least Beal & Mammut. Despite using the same materials, manuf equipment etc there'd been a noticeable drop in quality - climbing walls were first to notice,  sending ropes back as they'd worn out in half the expected time.
Any road up - his recommendation was to go for Edelrid since they were still manufacturing in Europe.

moodyboy:
Just looked at my join up date and realised I had been lurking for nearly 2 years..... Hello :wave:

Any opinions on Tendon?  Looking to get my first rope for a Verdon/calanque/St Victoire escapade

Liked  the deal below

http://www.rockandrescue.co.uk/outdoor-c2/climbing-c14/equipment-c63/ropes-c247/tendon-tendon-master-climbing-rope-97mm-x-60m-p3652

slackline:
I was glad we had a 70m rope when I missed the ab-point on 2 x 50m abseil in Verdon, on stretch just reached a point where I could untie and scramble down (although I did have prussiks and a tibloc for such situations).

Paul B:

--- Quote from: moodyboy on May 04, 2011, 03:42:37 pm ---Just looked at my join up date and realised I had been lurking for nearly 2 years..... Hello :wave:

Any opinions on Tendon?  Looking to get my first rope for a Verdon/calanque/St Victoire escapade

--- End quote ---

rope as in singular for the Verdon? Bad plan if so, even an 80 doubled won't get you down some of the abs. Plus, some of the lines in the guide are a bit suspect and leave you (this happened to multiple teams) on much longer finishing pitches.

Calanques, pitches seem to be 30m in general. The weather can change very quickly from ridiculous sunshine to drowned rat so make sure you can ab (the ab achors as marked in the guide in the majority aren't used and are in varying states of decay). If you venture to en Vau, take some tat and a maillon. The walk and ab off leaves you with the choice of a fairly worn bolt (singular) or a tree that is being ruined by many abs (I didn't have tat).

I'd also advise not buying the Cote D'Azur guide and buying the local topo instead. Blanket use of the 'need gear' symbol renders it irrelevant, plus the descriptions are spectacularly lacking at times and it seems like the 'loose-rock' symbol has been put in willy nilly and neglected from climbs which are severely loose (think rocking pillar two body lengths long which you HAVE to climb). /rant

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version