UKBouldering.com

Pedestal Arete - RIP (Read 10647 times)

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
Pedestal Arete - RIP
May 02, 2011, 05:40:15 pm
Bad news.  Some idiots have knackered Pedestal Arete at Caley.  A camp fire lit at its base has caused huge lumps of rock to delaminate from the bottom 2ft of the arete (with the rest of it covered in soot).  I was too upset to thoroughly investigate the damage but I can't imagine the sit start is climbable (no photographs I'm afraid).

Really quite pissed off at the needless stupidity of it all - I was already annoyed enough by the chalk grafitti and massive tickmarks everywhere.  Next election, I'm voting for whichever party will equip park rangers with guns (failing that, I'll look on ebay and see whether there's one of those cobalt radiation bombs for sale - the type that gets rid of all life but leaves buildings/crags standing!).

Stubbs

#1 Re: Pedestal Arete - RIP
May 02, 2011, 06:19:05 pm
Yeah saw this when I was back oop north last week.  I think it will still be climbable, but needs a serious scrubbing to remove the soot, and there's a large flake which has delammed to come off.  Idiots.

Robl

• addict
  • A bit of an animal
#2 Re: Pedestal Arete - RIP
May 04, 2011, 03:29:53 pm
Bad times... well at least I can use that as an excuse for not ticking the sit (not that i'm too scarred to that sharp crystal on the slopey dish.)

Stubbs

#3 Re: Pedestal Arete - RIP
May 04, 2011, 04:04:06 pm
Just HTFU and crimp that crystal!

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#4 Re: Pedestal Arete - RIP
May 04, 2011, 04:16:49 pm
Have, human, homme, huckle? Is this the official sausage approved version of MTFU?

fried

• forum hero
#5 Re: Pedestal Arete - RIP
May 04, 2011, 04:45:17 pm
Some kind of skinny hamburger perhaps?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#6 Re: Pedestal Arete - RIP
May 04, 2011, 04:52:12 pm
Have, human, homme, huckle? Is this the official sausage approved version of MTFU?

Homo sapiens?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#7 Re: Pedestal Arete - RIP
May 04, 2011, 05:11:06 pm
Haul The Fuck Up?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#8 Re: Pedestal Arete - RIP
May 04, 2011, 05:44:47 pm
 :lol:

Stubbs

#9 Re: Pedestal Arete - RIP
May 04, 2011, 06:32:49 pm

Robl

• addict
  • A bit of an animal
#10 Re: Pedestal Arete - RIP
May 05, 2011, 10:53:49 am
Choppa! Take your skirt off, grow a moustache and harden the f**k up! :boxing:

uptown

• junky
#11 Re: Pedestal Arete - RIP
May 06, 2011, 10:41:23 am
Bad news.  Some idiots have knackered Pedestal Arete at Caley.  A camp fire lit at its base has caused huge lumps of rock to delaminate from the bottom 2ft of the arete (with the rest of it covered in soot).  I was too upset to thoroughly investigate the damage but I can't imagine the sit start is climbable (no photographs I'm afraid).

Slowly now moose, like a phoenix from the flames...
The 7b+/c version with the jug is still climbable and I should expect the 7c+ will be fine if a kind-minded soul would scrub off the soot and stabilise the new sandy patches.

huwtj

#12 Re: Pedestal Arete - RIP
May 06, 2011, 05:40:21 pm
Just been up there and taken a few pics of the damage:

It does look like most of the holds have survived. There was already chalk on the new sandy undercut so there's definite need for some damage limitation!

sjw

• obsessive maniac
#13 Re: Pedestal Arete - RIP
May 06, 2011, 08:24:51 pm
Wow. I didn't realise how much a fire could damage rock- that's a right mess. Even if it is still climbable, I wouldn't take much enjoyment from pulling on a boulder that looks as trashed as that.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#14 Re: Pedestal Arete - RIP
May 07, 2011, 09:44:02 am
Aye - I was genuiney grief-stricken when I saw it! Wandering around, muttering angrily like a dazed tramp.  PA was one of the main projects I was working towards and had been looking forward to tackling over my winter lay-off. 

I don't think I could bear to pull on now - exacerbating the damage would just depress me.  Maybe I'm getting (senti)mental in my old age, but climbing using such eroded holds would strike me as an act of abuse to an already battered child(!)  I rarely climbed at Bowden Doors for much the same reason - you could see the damage increasing after every visit.

uptown

• junky
#15 Re: Pedestal Arete - RIP
May 07, 2011, 11:17:24 am
Just been up there and taken a few pics of the damage:

It does look like most of the holds have survived. There was already chalk on the new sandy undercut so there's definite need for some damage limitation!

The first picture helps to show that none of the handholds have suffered bar the sooting. The footholds are still mostly ok too, it does look a disgrace and will take some tlc to help blend back yet with some stabilising and a yard-brush it'll be ok. As I said the 7b+ climbs exactly the same (It might be my chalk as I did it last wednesday, usual method) but I've not done 'entering the dragon' so can only guess that it's unchanged. The sooner someone gets their special juice on the sandy footers and sandy undercut the better. Any takers or shall we leave it as a testament to the pyro's?

tomtom

• forum hero
#16 Re: Pedestal Arete - RIP
May 07, 2011, 11:43:46 am
Uptown, I'm not around enough to be Florence Nightingale on this occasion-  but do you or anyone know what the 'magic elixir of gritstone stabilisation' is? For future reference etc..?

Charlton Chestwig

• regular
#17 Re: Pedestal Arete - RIP
November 17, 2016, 04:19:48 pm
Afternoon,
I'd be interested to know if ped arête sit or stand still get climbed these days and if they are much different to before the fire damage?
Cheers for any info.
Rich

andy_e

• forum hero
#18 Re: Pedestal Arete - RIP
November 17, 2016, 04:23:21 pm
I did the sit a few weeks ago. It's apparently a bit harder than it used to be. I do the stand completely differently now to how I used to as the foot I used to stand on with my right has gone, but now I do it locked in over my left foot.

36chambers

• forum hero
#19 Re: Pedestal Arete - RIP
November 17, 2016, 04:33:43 pm
I did the sit a few weeks ago. It's apparently a bit harder than it used to be. I do the stand completely differently now to how I used to as the foot I used to stand on with my right has gone, but now I do it locked in over my left foot.

Good to hear, it's on my winter list and when I last looked it was pretty green.

Afternoon,
I'd be interested to know if ped arête sit or stand still get climbed these days and if they are much different to before the fire damage?
Cheers for any info.
Rich

They have both seen quite a bit of attention in the past year

(Peewee's sit beta is only useful if you're ridiculously strong.)

andy_e

• forum hero
#20 Re: Pedestal Arete - RIP
November 17, 2016, 04:36:09 pm
When did you last look beast? I caught it on a good day; it's rained and snowed ever since.

36chambers

• forum hero
#21 Re: Pedestal Arete - RIP
November 17, 2016, 04:44:35 pm
When did you last look beast? I caught it on a good day; it's rained and snowed ever since.

Maybe 3 or 4 weeks ago. The rest of the crag was quite damp, but the seepage from the plants above the arete made it look particularly bad.

peewee

• obsessive maniac
  • Wilko Baggins
  • If in doubt, Lock it out (Dynamically)
#22 Re: Pedestal Arete - RIP
November 17, 2016, 06:58:28 pm

(Peewee's sit beta is only useful if you're ridiculously strong.)

Oddly I find this sequence easier than the original,  skips out the nasty pebble!

36chambers

• forum hero
#23 Re: Pedestal Arete - RIP
November 17, 2016, 10:44:35 pm
Oddly I find this sequence easier than the original,  skips out the nasty pebble!

It's the deep LF flag move I find impossible :strongbench:

I've resorted to using a LF heel in the roof instead. 

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#24 Re: Pedestal Arete - RIP
November 17, 2016, 11:13:27 pm
Good to see proper spotting skills from Baz and CBA  ;) ;D

peewee

• obsessive maniac
  • Wilko Baggins
  • If in doubt, Lock it out (Dynamically)
#25 Re: Pedestal Arete - RIP
November 18, 2016, 12:43:32 pm
Almost a true Lancastrian spot although nobody is smoking a tab but baz is rolling one.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal