UKBouldering.com

"new generation" creatine? (Read 7733 times)

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
"new generation" creatine?
April 26, 2011, 05:19:57 pm
so a friend of mine who's a biologist, so not an idiot who can be fooled by the random bodybuilder with a supplement shop, told me about this "new" creatine.
it should not give water retention and also it should not need the usual load cycles, and all that stuff.
does anyone of you scientists have some science for me?

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#1 Re: "new generation" creatine?
April 28, 2011, 12:14:27 pm
hmmm... looks promising.

stom

• addict
    • Some Videos
#2 Re: "new generation" creatine?
April 28, 2011, 12:58:18 pm
Are you meaning Creatine Ethyl Ester?  I cant comment from a science point of view, however its supposed to reduce fluid retention.  I personally cant use creatine mono withput blowing up like a balloon.  I've had much better results with the above.

The downsides though are it tastes like drinking crushed up paracetamol.  You also have to drink loads of water otherwise you end up with really bad cramps.  Also I've found don't drink too much alcohol whilst on a cycle, even a little can be too much! If you do, you end up with the mother of all hangovers!!

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#3 Re: "new generation" creatine?
April 28, 2011, 03:08:01 pm
thanks!!! I'll do some search!!!!!

biscuit

• menacing presence
#4 Re: "new generation" creatine?
April 29, 2011, 06:30:16 pm
I got the same stuff as Stom a while back. Having used the old stuff many moons ago i do think there was certainly less water retention etc. I would also agree with making sure you drink plenty of water and lay off the booze.

Dexter

• obsessive maniac
#5 Re: "new generation" creatine?
April 29, 2011, 06:37:00 pm
I have never used creatine but I am doing a chemistry degree and looking at the chemical formulae of the two compounds it looks fairly reasonabe since the ester form should break down into the creatine via a water molecule so it should require one molecule of water to break the new stuff into creatine and so not require absorption of the water but since it requires water to breakdown you should probably drink plently of water (hence the really bad cramps in guessing). However I am purely looking at this from a chemistry side of things and have no idea a) how creatine works and b) how its is absorbed/broken down in the body but as I said it looks hopeful
p.s. sorry for the edit my brain got a bit scrambled by too much chemistry revision and i got the wrong way round at first
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 06:43:24 pm by Dexter »

biscuit

• menacing presence
#6 Re: "new generation" creatine?
April 29, 2011, 06:47:10 pm
SCIENCE   :clap2:

makes sense to me.

mark s

• junky
#7 Re: "new generation" creatine?
April 30, 2011, 09:51:34 am
I've never used it for climbing.I thought the water was inside the muscles and that was part of how it works.I'm on standard creatine now along with the usual stuff and have put on over 10lb in 5 weeks.at less than a 10er for 500g its a lot cheaper than it used to be.

Big Dave

• menacing presence
#8 Re: "new generation" creatine?
May 03, 2011, 12:37:05 pm
CEE isn't new and for most users works nowhere near as good as creatine monohydrate strength wise. The loading thing with creatine isn't necessary either.

It could be 'krealkalyn' that he's on about, which claims to avoid the 'bloat' that can happen, it has a great write up if you research it, however truth is it's basically just a mix of creatine mono and baking powder!

If you want to check out the latest thing in creatine supplementation, then creatine nitrate is the latest one to be raved about.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#9 Re: "new generation" creatine?
May 20, 2011, 06:32:10 pm
sorry if I resurrect this but I would like some more infos.
so I went to the big guy's shop and bought some creatine, the "normal" monohydrate. as I don't want to put up neither weight nor muscle mass, he asvised not to do any load cycle, but simply to take some before and after training/climbing.
he also advised me to take it together with glutamine, because they work best this way.
his suggestion was to take 3 grams of creatine and 4,5 grams of glutamine, before and after the session. that makes 6 grams of creatine and 9 of glutamine (I am 65 kilos). nothing on rest days.
so the question is: am I likely to have benefits from this kind of dosage, in terms of power, or is it just too little or simply useless withouth the load cycle?
thanks alot.

Paul B

• forum hero
#10 Re: "new generation" creatine?
May 20, 2011, 08:57:30 pm
...loading is outdated.

douglas

• obsessive maniac
#11 Re: "new generation" creatine?
May 21, 2011, 12:16:34 pm
'Racing Weight' mentions creatine use for endurance athletes and advocates no loading, instead 2.5 - 5 g per day. And it mentions that it's important to take it with sugar so that the insulin spike drives the creatine into the muscle cells. Creatine will not benefit directly any exercise lasting more than 90 s but improvements in strength and power will in turn aid endurance.

On the other hand 'The Biochemical Basis of Sports Performance' suggests a loading phase of 10 - 20 g per day for those seeking to improve strength and power.

Both books state that body mass gains of 1 - 2 kg should be expected.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#12 Re: "new generation" creatine?
May 22, 2011, 02:13:14 pm
thanks again for all the replies. so please let me ask you some more.
do you think that taking the 6 grams of creatine and 9 of glutamine on active days only is useful in terms of true power gains? would it be better to take the same amount also on rest days?

or is it better anyway to make the load cycle to have real power gains?

I'm sorry for my pedantry, but I have never taken creatine and I want to know if I can really benefit from it, and how to use it with the minimal possible negative effects like water retemption, weight gains and so on.
thank again.

Big Dave

• menacing presence
#13 Re: "new generation" creatine?
May 23, 2011, 11:20:06 am
Looks spot on, split 3g before and then another 3g post training/climbing. No need to take on rest days, no loading necessary either.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#14 Re: "new generation" creatine?
May 23, 2011, 12:00:09 pm
thanks Dave. let's roll!!!
 :punk:

mark s

• junky
#15 Re: "new generation" creatine?
May 23, 2011, 01:08:26 pm
I really can't see how creatine would help for climbing.your muscles are used in a differant way as to when doing weight.I was taken it for weights.I went up to 90 kg,I stopped it about 3 weeks ago.I've not lost any weight.not sure about the other supplement,never heard anyone at the gym mention it.but they do only talk about deca ,test, equipoise etc :-)
I can't imagine it will do any harm either way,its not expensive so fire it in and see what happens

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#16 Re: "new generation" creatine?
May 27, 2011, 11:47:55 am
ok, hopefully this is my last question, this creatine thing is very confusing.
has anyone experienced, after taking creatine for a while, an increased calories need? I mean, I am not training right now, just going bouldering or sport climbing, and the volume is much lower than when I'm in training mode, still I have the need to eat loads. I mean, loads. yesterday I went climbing, I ate a lot during the session (sandwiches, energy bars), I had done a good breakfast and everything, and at dinner I had an entire roast chicken...
 :shrug:

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#17 Re: "new generation" creatine?
May 27, 2011, 12:41:21 pm
... I have the need to eat loads. I mean, loads. yesterday I went climbing, I ate a lot during the session (sandwiches, energy bars), I had done a good breakfast and everything, and at dinner I had an entire roast chicken...
 :shrug:

Oh, hi Jim - for some reason your post appeared to be from Nibile! a glitch in the matrix?

account_inactive

• forum hero
#18 Re: "new generation" creatine?
May 27, 2011, 02:54:40 pm
He said for dinner, not pre cave snack

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#19 Re: "new generation" creatine?
May 27, 2011, 03:22:34 pm
 ;D

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#20 Re: "new generation" creatine?
July 09, 2011, 03:15:30 pm
Also I've found don't drink too much alcohol whilst on a cycle, even a little can be too much! If you do, you end up with the mother of all hangovers!!

has anyone else experienced this?
I've had a couple of really bad nights after going out and not drinking much,  having trained and taken creatine during the day. this past night I've been in real agony with just one Mojito... even if I almost don't drink at all anymore, being so sick with just one drink seems very strange.
could it be because both creatine and alcohol are metabolized by the liver, creating some kind of conflict?
any info appreciated.

webbo

• forum hero
#21 Re: "new generation" creatine?
July 09, 2011, 08:52:18 pm
I found it has little effect in regard to alcohol.Maybe its cos you are not drinking enough. :alky:
I asked a sport scienctist/triathlon coach about when to take creatine.He reckoned to take it during the session just as you are finishing your warm up.
Any thoughts on this.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal