UKBouldering.com

Firefox add ons (Read 5967 times)

butterworthtom

• stalker
    • Incoherent Rambling's of a Lakes Boulderer
Firefox add ons
November 11, 2010, 10:43:38 pm
Bit geeky I know, 8) but I just found two useful add ons:
Skipscreen - Skips waiting and stuff and generally messing around on sites like rapidshare
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/11243/

and Session manager:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2324/
Saves your session and tabs and things. Quite useful if like me you have loads of tabs open when working that you want to keep open the next day or afew days later, and will probably be using your computer in between for entertainment purposes so don't want loads of clutter.

Post more useful things so that I can streamline my life even further.

Charles

• addict
#1 Re: Firefox add ons
November 11, 2010, 10:50:28 pm
F1 https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/252539/

A response to the new Rockmelt browser I think. (www.rockmelt.com) It lets you share things to your Twitter and Facebook accounts from your browser, so no copying urls and opening up your page/client. Pretty useful if, like me, you think that everyone needs to see how cutting edge I am as I find cool things on the web before other people.

Paul B

• forum hero
#2 Re: Firefox add ons
November 12, 2010, 08:03:43 am
Feedly (they now do a mini version)

Greasemonkey

tomtom

• forum hero
#3 Re: Firefox add ons
November 12, 2010, 08:17:10 am
I'm fairly sure theres already a thread for this (can you help Slackline..??) and it may event (once) have been a sticky - but a 2 min scan couldnt find it...
T

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#4 Re: Firefox add ons
November 12, 2010, 08:28:05 am
Its likely this one that you're thinking of.

This thread should probably be in Computers & Technology regardless.

dave

#5 Re: Firefox add ons
November 12, 2010, 08:58:11 am
Firebug is well handy for website development etc, genius etc.

peewee

• obsessive maniac
  • Wilko Baggins
  • If in doubt, Lock it out (Dynamically)
#6 Re: Firefox add ons
November 12, 2010, 11:27:02 am
Fastest fox is a good add on, has a handy feature for scrolling through pages say a post has 3 pages you just keep scrolling down and it loads the next page with having to click a thing.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#7 Re: Firefox add ons
November 12, 2010, 11:34:44 am
Fastest fox is a good add on, has a handy feature for scrolling through pages say a post has 3 pages you just keep scrolling down and it loads the next page with having to click a thing.

Putting one of those handy links to add-ons that are being recommended takes but a few seconds and makes browsing faster too.

FastestFox

Perhaps the single most useful add-on out there is NoScript (homepage).

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#8 Re: Firefox add ons
November 12, 2010, 12:06:00 pm
Since we've got a new thread I'll list all the ones I use. Looking at this list, I'm amazed FF still runs quite happily, but it's fine with all this lot installed:

1-Click YouTube Video Download
- Adds some simple buttons for quickly grabbing videos. There are similar, more complex addons about but I like this ones simplicity.

A Bit Better RTM - If you use the very good Remember The Milk then this adds some nice functionality. Also available as a Greasemonkey script.

Adblock Plus - Essential. That's all there is to say.

Add Bookmark Here ² - Another tiny but very handy addon. Allows easier bookmarking, apparently Apple stylee.

All-in-One Sidebar - Another essential one for me.

BBCode - Indispensable if you post a lot on forums such as this one.

British English Dictionary
- Like it says, gives a British angle to the spellchecker.

Clear Cache Button - No explanation required, I use the button in the All In One Sidebar.

ColorZilla - Allows easy picking of colors from anywhere on a page; very handy for web-development, graphics work, etc.

Easy DragToGo - I mainly use this for swipe saving images to a certain folder without having to go through any menus. There are other addons that do this differently but I've used this one for ages.

Evernote Web Clipper - Very handy if you're an Evernote user.

FaviconizeTab - Love this one; really useful if there's a load of tabs that you always have open and you want to save tab-bar space.

Firebug - Like Dave says, incredibly useful addon if you're doing any web-development.

FoxyProxy Standard - Allows fast switching of proxies with the ability to filter certain urls to proxies, etc. Great in conjunction with Tor.

Greasemonkey - Like Paul says. Opens up a vast array of website customisation scripts. Extremely useful.

LastPass Password Manager - Lastpass is an awesome password manager. This addon interacts with it very well. Until recently I used a handful of passwords for everything. I've now redeemed myself and use randomly generated 13 digit passwords. Obviously these are impossible to remember but Lastpass makes it easy. Beef up your security, Lastpass is free.

Link Gopher - Rarely used, but it does it's job well - extracts links from a page and spits them out into a new tab for easy further processing, for example in the Rapidshare Downloader.

NoScript - Like Slack--Line says. Awesome addon, especially for blocking popups, popunders, etc. Now on my essential addon list.

RDown - Rapidshare Downloader - You can feed this addon a load of Rapidshare links, go away and when you come back there's a good chance it will have grabbed them all for you.

ScrapBook - Archive pages or parts of pages. Gets most use here for recipes that I've found online, cooked and want to file for later use.

Screengrab - Selective screen grabs; not used often but it works well.

Session Manager - Like butterworthtom says. Another essential one for me - very powerful tab management and recovery.

SortPlaces - Bookmark sorter.

Taboo - Another essential - great tab-saver for when you find a page you don't really want to bookmark, but will probably want to come back to later.

UrlbarExt - Adds some very handy features to the URL bar.

Xmarks Sync - Will probably be surpassed by native FF features but in the meantime a great way of syncing bookmarks (and passwords if you so wish) between multiple computers.

Paul B

• forum hero
#9 Re: Firefox add ons
November 12, 2010, 01:34:39 pm
does Rdown work on megaupload and other similar sites or is it rapidshare specific? I used to use a java based downloader but with the insertion of captcha most of these fail.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#10 Re: Firefox add ons
November 12, 2010, 01:54:46 pm
A comprehensive list there Bubba!

I'll throw another one into the mix (courtesy of PaulB)...

Feedly an RSS aggregator that presents all of the recent posts from sites you want to follow in one page.  Tag and group feeds together for viewing all posts on "linux" or "statistics" or "[whatever it is you are interested in]".  As it says in its own blurb, makes for a nice homepage.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#11 Re: Firefox add ons
November 12, 2010, 02:26:45 pm
does Rdown work on megaupload and other similar sites or is it rapidshare specific? I used to use a java based downloader but with the insertion of captcha most of these fail.
Pretty sure it's Rapidshare only. Not used it recently so it may also fail with captcha.

Paul B

• forum hero
#12 Re: Firefox add ons
November 19, 2010, 07:38:53 pm
Does anyone use any Gmail notifier type add-ons? Gmail Notifier doesn't seem to work  :shrug:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#13 Re: Firefox add ons
November 19, 2010, 07:41:13 pm
I use WebMail Notifier (but generally just keep a tab open with gmail and go and check when I want to, its too distracting having pop-ups for every single email I receive which includes several mailing lists).

Paul B

• forum hero
#14 Re: Firefox add ons
November 21, 2010, 06:56:34 pm
Thanks
any add-ons for a sidebar for all open tabs, preferably with a new tab button that doesn't float around (Vertabbar)?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#15 Re: Firefox add ons
November 21, 2010, 08:59:55 pm
Thanks
any add-ons for a sidebar for all open tabs, preferably with a new tab button that doesn't float around (Vertabbar)?

This one seems pretty good - just installed so getting used to it.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#16 Re: Firefox add ons
November 22, 2010, 07:25:26 am
Does anyone use any Gmail notifier type add-ons? Gmail Notifier doesn't seem to work  :shrug:

Been using Gmail Manager for years as it always works\tends to get fixed quickly when Google tweak their login scripts periodically.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#17 Re: Firefox add ons
April 05, 2011, 02:43:29 pm
Avoid these add-ons.

Amusing irony that "FastestFox" ranks as eighth slowest  :lol:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#18 Re: Firefox add ons
April 05, 2011, 03:13:30 pm
That's only relevant to startup time - it doesn't provide any information as to whether those addons impact general performance.

I'm not that arsed about startup time - it takes a while anyway as my default tab set is about 30 tabs.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#19 Re: Firefox add ons
April 05, 2011, 03:20:04 pm
True for the rankings, but the opening gambit also states that "...but they can also cause Firefox to become slower.". 

It'll be more useful when they come up with standardised and automated tests for add-on performance whilst browsing, although given the plethora of different sites hosted on one of millions of different servers at different locations around the world with varying load the start-up time seems a fair and objective way of comparing add-on performance at this stage as there are too many other factors that can affect browsing speed that are harder to control.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#20 Re: Firefox add ons
April 05, 2011, 03:23:07 pm

They need an addon that profiles the performance of other addons :)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#21 Re: Firefox add ons
April 05, 2011, 03:23:46 pm
 :lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal