UKBouldering.com

Which Boulder Mat (Read 17663 times)

monkeypunch

Which Boulder Mat
April 11, 2011, 11:37:46 am
Hi all,
This is my first post on the forum, only found out it exists today :O disgraceful, but a great looking forum :)

My question however is on bouldering mats as I'm wondering which one to go for, I have a few that I'm interested in and was wondering on peoples opinions, experience.

The ones I have in mind are the DMM Highball, Alpkit Phud and Woomf, and the triplepad http://bleau.info/shop/triplepad.html.

Or does anyone recommend something else :)

Thanks in advance,
Ant.!

chris05

• forum abuser
#1 Re: Which Boulder Mat
April 11, 2011, 11:45:31 am
Hi monkeypunch  :wave:

There are many threads on this if you use the search function:

eg. http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,13882.msg250551.html#msg250551

I have had the larger Alpkit and the DMM pads. the general line with Alpkit seems to be that you get what you pay for but they are good mats for the money. I have found the foam to be good on both but the general quality of manufacture is slightly better on the DMM mats (i.e. the straps have stayed attached and the corners are rounded so don't ware out as quickly). I don't think you would be disappointed with either as a first mat.

Chris

monkeypunch

#2 Re: Which Boulder Mat
April 12, 2011, 08:09:10 am
Hey Chris, thanks for the reply, was looking around the forum, it seems the Alpkits are good if you don't boulder too much but don't hold their stiffness as much as the more 'named' mats. But does anyone have any experience with the triplepad? Hand made in Font and is apparently the top mat there but I can't find much in the way of a review on them :(

I'm also liking the mats from climbing factory . . after seeing their site . . so next question is what are peoples experience with taking boulder mats on a plane as I'll probably be bringing it from the UK to font a lot.

Thanks,
Ant.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#3 Re: Which Boulder Mat
April 12, 2011, 08:55:47 am
The one that fits best and is comfy for all day use.  :P

(Do a search for people's experience of mats on planes, there's lots of threads on that too, although you're better of using Google to do a site specific search on the domain as the internal search function of the forums is a bit poo.  GreameA will tell you all about Air France & bouldering pads!).

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
#4 Re: Which Boulder Mat
April 12, 2011, 10:00:31 am
i bought the alp kit foam to put in my old american made zealot pad (out of production-8 years old and still not fallen apart). i think this foam's brilliant after 2 years of a lot of use.
I also use a DMM high ball.  Good to land on but- 1; heavy  & 2; awkward to carry.

can you get Organic pads in the UK yet.  They look pretty similar in build to my zealot and the colours are great for pics if that's what you're into...

kilgore1080

• player
  • Hashi Tensai!
#5 Re: Which Boulder Mat
April 12, 2011, 11:23:39 am
eh up Ant,

Welcome t'forums and all that.

I've got a DMM Highball, no complaints, superb black and yellow beast. The Alpkit ones are good mats but as others have said, quality maybe not quite so good as other makes.

As for taking them on a plane have a look at this thread:

http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,17431.msg309110.html#msg309110

cofe

• forum hero
#7 Re: Which Boulder Mat
April 12, 2011, 11:31:20 am
Pod ones are ace, both sizes. DMM ones are a bit visually noisy for my liking...

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#8 Re: Which Boulder Mat
April 12, 2011, 12:48:16 pm
Always buy Moon pads. The quality, sizes and designs are excellent. And it will make you as good Ben Moon for gods sake! I mean, who ever heard of Colin Alpkit doing anything hard?

ziggytang

• addict
#9 Re: Which Boulder Mat
April 12, 2011, 02:01:34 pm
I've had the DMM highball for a few years and it's served me well. The only issue is the weight as they are pretty heavy.

gremlin

• stalker
  • Ripped, but still shit!
    • Java shit
#10 Re: Which Boulder Mat
April 12, 2011, 02:16:47 pm
Been very happy with my Snap Climbing mat. It's got a rubberised base which meens it dont get wet inside if the ground is damp.

monkeypunch

#11 Re: Which Boulder Mat
April 13, 2011, 08:31:13 am
Well seems like flying the mat could be expensive . . I'm probably flying with sleazy jet which means I might be able to book a mat on as sporting equipment but on the website it only has a short list of things :( guess I'll give them a call and find out for sure.

But I'm still continuing my mat search, thanks for the reviews guys ;) and does anyone know anything about the triplepads from font? I'm going there soon so if the mats there are good I might just pick one up while I'm there but can't find much reviews :(

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#12 Re: Which Boulder Mat
April 13, 2011, 09:14:36 am
One option might be to rent pads in Font, have a search, there are some recent threads on this very topic ;)

tomtom

• forum hero
#13 Re: Which Boulder Mat
April 13, 2011, 09:35:14 am
Been very happy with my Snap Climbing mat. It's got a rubberised base which meens it dont get wet inside if the ground is damp.

I'm a big SNAP fan. Great quality - and waterproof base is great for those cowshitridden Almsciff days. Lovely touches like a key pocket inside (in-between the foam) and great foam. I now have 3! (inlcuding a little foot pad thingy..). Sadly it no-longer seems like there is a snap importer into the UK (from what I can see) and the only mats you can get appear to be old stock left in shops... :(

Scraggadoo

• addict
#14 Re: Which Boulder Mat
April 13, 2011, 12:36:24 pm
I think snap pads are still distributed in the country (check out snapclimbing on the interweb)...  Got mine end of last summer from RockRun. 

Foam is excellent in these, seems to be standing up to abuse quite well.  Carpet logo on the pads good for wiping feet on (no separate rag needed).  I'd definitely recommend.  However a small niggle is the waterproof backing develops an annoying squeak when carrying like a rucksack.  But it doesn't bother me too much and I couldn't be bothered to sort it.

I really like the smaller sized pad for low/cave sit starts or just placing at the start of a longer problem and save the big pad for the hairier bits.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#15 Re: Which Boulder Mat
April 13, 2011, 10:20:05 pm
a small niggle is the waterproof backing develops an annoying squeak when carrying like a rucksack.  But it doesn't bother me too much and I couldn't be bothered to sort it

Aren't you profoundly deaf in both ears?

Not taking the piss, but I am wondering whether the squeak is really, really bad or just happens to be within your range and you are a tolerant man.

Squeaky shoulder straps are a common problem with a lot of pads.

tomtom

• forum hero
#16 Re: Which Boulder Mat
April 13, 2011, 10:26:43 pm
I think snap pads are still distributed in the country (check out snapclimbing on the interweb)...  Got mine end of last summer from RockRun. 

Sadly - the link to the pads reveals nada... I got my footmat thing from rock and run a couple of months ago.. but 'Buns' seem to not exist in the UK any more (shame its a great pad).

a small niggle is the waterproof backing develops an annoying squeak when carrying like a rucksack.  But it doesn't bother me too much and I couldn't be bothered to sort it
Squeaky shoulder straps are a common problem with a lot of pads.

No problems here, that I can hear over the grinding of the arthritic shoulders and the creak of my wooden leg...

tried oiling the base? ;)

monkeypunch

#17 Re: Which Boulder Mat
April 20, 2011, 11:04:05 am
Well I went with the alpkit phud/woomf offer in the end :) . . gonna see how these feel and hopefully get to jump on some other mats and give a comparison .. They're cheap enough to play with for a few years anyway  . .

Thanks for the info though guys :)

Duncan770

#18 Re: Which Boulder Mat
June 30, 2011, 12:25:18 pm
Well I went with the alpkit phud/woomf offer in the end :) . . gonna see how these feel and hopefully get to jump on some other mats and give a comparison .. They're cheap enough to play with for a few years anyway  . .

Thanks for the info though guys :)

Hi
I was wondering the same thing. Could you please tell me what you think of your Alpkit mats?

Thanks a lot

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal