UKBouldering.com

Planet Fear St. Bees Bouldering Festival (Read 28260 times)

galpinos

• forum hero
Didn't fiend or someone's girlfriend break their leg falling while getting down to the boudlers?

I don't know but would guess at Paul B (probability and all that!)

andy_e

• forum hero
I think it was Cider Nut.

Paul B

• forum hero
have you not heard? 'tis Nige who now wears this crown. Keep him away from the wood chisels.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
I don't know but would guess at Paul B (probability and all that!)

Unless Paul B has grown breasts (which to the best of my knowledge he hasn't) then it wasn't him though the chances of a separate incident involving Paul B at that crag is always a very real possibility.  ;)

Edit - and no it wasn't Cider Nut either.

Paul B

• forum hero

tomtom

• forum hero
The FB survey is wack, there's no pink Anasazi or French pastry option. Fools!

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
Appalling idea.   I voted No.

wiain

• addict
  • Peekaboo
Will vote no as soon as sodding farcebook will log me in.

T_B

• forum hero
Who is behind Planetfear anyway thesedays? Try naming yourselves and people might trust you a little more!

Their explanation for doing it sounds a tad unlikely. Yeah right you're doing it for local businesses. It's a PR exercise to help promote the fact that Planetfear have a shop in Keswick (something I didn't know until now).

Dear oh dear...

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
Voted no, by proxy.

boulderingbacon

• menacing presence
its a no from me. lack of respect for the developers of the place is awful, they owe everything to them else they wouldnt even be able to stage an event there.

LucyB

• Trusted Users
  • obsessive maniac
So there's no 'sitting on the fence' smiley?

I don't know what to think. I can understand Greg feeling aggreived that they will be selling a topo without having the courtesy to involve or even mention him. However, their description of the reasoning behind it and the measures they are taking to make sure they don't do any damage/ piss anyone off sound reasonable.

We don't have anywhere suitable for a MelloBlocco style festival, but the atmosphere there is great and I can understand why PlanetFear want to try to re-create something on a much, much smaller scale.

Am I just being really naive?

tc

• junky
It's a PR exercise to help promote the fact that Planetfear have a shop in Keswick (something I didn't know until now).

The Keswick shop is called Ultimate Outdoors. Just round the corner from the proper climbing shop.

account_inactive

• forum hero
I think something like this might work elsewhere but not at St Bee's.  It's all just a bit too fragile down there (and I don't mean the rock)

tc

• junky
I think something like this might work elsewhere but not at St Bee's.  It's all just a bit too fragile down there (and I don't mean the rock)

After their piss-poor attitude in general and what the cheeky fuckers had to say about 'locals' in particular, if they divert to Carrock Fell I'll set the fucking dogs on them.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
I oppose this wholeheartedly. Truth be told, when Greg first put the topo up on Lakesbloc, myself and others who qualify as "local activists" a huge amount more than me were worried about the increased traffic the venue would have. Planet Fear will no doubt say that all traces of the gathering will be dealt with but I highly doubt it will. It is such a sensitive place, the pure numbers that could attend for this PR bollocks pose a massive problem. Litter, chalk, brushing, repeated climbing on potentially fragile rock etc etc. I'm not implying the people who attend, should it go ahead, would all be reprebate scum but I doubt the place would survive a mass visit of this scale unscathed.

I agree that it could work elsewhere, but there are for more reasons for it not to go ahead at St Bees than those that could justify it.

wiain

• addict
  • Peekaboo
Who is behind Planetfear anyway thesedays? Try naming yourselves and people might trust you a little more!

The PlanetFear brand was bought from [Shanes] liquidators by Ultimate Outdoors. As far as I know they still own it and still run both brands although the lakes shop did look like an attempt to shift from Ultimate to mild trepidation.

biscuit

• menacing presence
Well i got back from St Bees tonight, we were the only ones down there FFS it was a glorious night, and talked about it while we were down there.

I hadn't been able to make my mind up really. There are no access issues at present, the farmer is happy, RSPB are happy and Planet Fear sound like they would promote all the right stuff, including using the other path. There are potential future access issues though.

HOWEVER the have royally pissed me off with the last paragraph. They'd stuck to the corporate script all the way through to there and were sounding reasonable to me but then couldn't resist sticking a shitty comment in and having a dig.

1 more vote for no from me - once i remember my facebook log in.

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
Given that a number of people are unsure about how they feel about this, and others think that it would be a good thing at another venue. How have things changed since the outdoor comp at Crookrise (for those who remember it). I may be wrong but I would have thought that environmental issues would be similar, but the Crookrise Comp was widely criticised at the time, and the BMC strongly opposed to it (bans from the british team for those who attended?) but reportedly have no objections to the The St Bees Meet?

mikomon

Soz for weird un-finish to my post yesterday: I looked up and realised I was 40 mins late for work...

Well worth it though, and voted 'no' using the nipper's Faceache account. Inspiring to see it's getting on for 2 to 1 against this a.m!

Snoops

• obsessive maniac
From a PR prospective this would appear to bad for Planet Fear.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
From their actions so far they don't seem to give a shit about PR.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
From their actions so far they don't seem to give a shit about PR.

Bit daft seeing as they rely on the public.

dave

We don't have anywhere suitable for a MelloBlocco style festival, but the atmosphere there is great and I can understand why PlanetFear want to try to re-create something on a much, much smaller scale.

the thing with mello is they need those big festivals to get the place (a relatively new area) developed. The rock can take it cos its granite, and the area is huge. Also even stuff that gets cleaned off there goes back to nature pretty quick. Last summer we kept finding problems in guidebook photos taken at various mellobloccos, and invariably on the rock there was no trace of them ever being climbed.

On the other hand, mello isn't a great example as this year all the comp problems had the starting hold circled in colours blackboard chalk, which is just idiotic.

My feeling on big organised commercial bouldering events is thet are totally inappropriate in the UK, unless they're going to run them at undeveloped are-end-of-scotland venus that no-one ever goes to the rest of the time. The issue of is this being done primarily to make money is another consideration.

chris05

• forum abuser

the thing with mello is they need those big festivals to get the place (a relatively new area) developed. The rock can take it cos its granite, and the area is huge. Also even stuff that gets cleaned off there goes back to nature pretty quick. Last summer we kept finding problems in guidebook photos taken at various mellobloccos, and invariably on the rock there was no trace of them ever being climbed.

On the other hand, mello isn't a great example as this year all the comp problems had the starting hold circled in colours blackboard chalk, which is just idiotic.

My feeling on big organised commercial bouldering events is thet are totally inappropriate in the UK, unless they're going to run them at undeveloped are-end-of-scotland venus that no-one ever goes to the rest of the time. The issue of is this being done primarily to make money is another consideration.

:agree:

I would rather not see it anywhere in the UK

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal