UKBouldering.com

Clicky tricep/elbow (Read 5423 times)

Nick S

Clicky tricep/elbow
April 08, 2011, 09:49:14 am
Hmm not sure if this one is training related or injury related?  :shrug:

I have distinctly weak triceps, generally I have avoided needing to mantel very much at all by mostly clipping bolts rather than climbing anything where you might actually have to top out. But clearly at some point something must be done.

The problem is any time I do some tricep related exercise, something in my elbow clicks mid-movement. It seems to hit just about every exercise where my elbow bends into an acute angle: close grip push ups - check, dumbbell tricep extension - check, dips - check... and while it doesn't exactly hurt it feels quite tendony (like something clicking into position), is quite loud, more than a little bit disturbing and generally makes me sack the exercise off after a couple of reps. I suspect mantels will do it too but to be honest I am usually too busy gurning to have specifically noticed. Happens under quite low resistance ie. ladybell tricep extension will set it off.  :strongbench:

Does anyone have any idea what this is and what I can do about it? some sort of muscular imbalance? Is it normal? Is it likely to go away if I just push through it or...   :badidea:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1 Re: Clicky tricep/elbow
April 08, 2011, 10:04:18 am
Cause of cracking joints is still unknown.

If it doesn't really hurt it could be benign.  I will say, having worked for the Arthritis Research Campaign for five years and done a few literature searches (came across the mentioned doctors individual case-study which amused me), that there is no evidence that cracking joints increases the likelihood of developing arthritis (particularly Rheumatoid arthritis which is an auto-immune disease anyway).  It can however, increase the blood pressure of those around you if they don't like the noise.

My knees, knuckles, elbows, hips and neck all crack, although often done deliberately as part of stretching, had a great massage in Thailand where this diminuitive lady made the successive vertebrate in my spine crack when she twisted me sharply, felt great afterwards (and no there wasn't anything "extra" involved in the service).

Nick S

#2 Re: Clicky tricep/elbow
April 08, 2011, 10:25:53 am
Cheers, yeah I have plenty of cracky joints as well - also totally agree, osteo - cracky spine :2thumbsup:

but this feels a bit different. It is like there is a tendon of some kind (possibly tricep related?) which is repeatedly being pulled over what I *think* is my medial epicondyle. As my elbow flexes or extends past a critical angle it is like the tendon 'pops' as it is pulled over it. It is a bit freaky to be honest, is it meant to do this?

I have a trip to the osteo tomorrow actually so I will bring it up then. Meanwhile if there is someone who has the anatomy knowledge with any idea what is going on, it would be appreciated...

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#3 Re: Clicky tricep/elbow
April 08, 2011, 10:52:27 am
Both the Ulnar nerve and the medial head Triceps can flick around the medial epicondyle ('subluxing/dislocating ulnar nerve', 'snapping triceps syndrome') as you bend and straighten the elbow. 

Is it normal?  Not exactly but it's common and usually not a problem although a bit disconcerting as you say.  Sometimes they can give medial elbow pain. 

Don't believe any random on the internet and listen to the person who actually examines you.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#4 Re: Clicky tricep/elbow
April 08, 2011, 10:54:55 am
Don't believe any random on the internet and listen to the person who actually examines you.

:agree: :goodidea:

Nick S

#5 Re: Clicky tricep/elbow
April 08, 2011, 11:15:25 am
Cheers duncan, found this on a bit of a search

http://www.ejbjs.org/cgi/content/full/80/2/239

which sounds familiar. If that is it, doesn't sound like there is anything I can do about it apart from avoid activities involving a flexed elbow  :shrug: Will see what the osteo says tomorrow.

Dexter

• obsessive maniac
#6 Re: Clicky tricep/elbow
April 08, 2011, 12:57:50 pm
I had a similar thing when doing press ups for a while but discovered that once I pushed through it it no longer happened and now my elbows are fine

Nick S

#7 Re: Clicky tricep/elbow
April 09, 2011, 01:27:00 pm
quick update in case anyone is interested/remotely cares:

osteo reckons it is not a tricep tendon but an overly tight finger flexor tendon that is snapping back and forth over the medial epicondyle. She reckons that while it is a bit freaky, it's not a specific problem and fine to train with as long as it's not causing pain. One more reason to stretch the forearm flexors, hopefully it should stop doing it.

Cheers all.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal