UKBouldering.com

Klem Loskot Book (Read 5920 times)

Ackbar

• player
Klem Loskot Book
March 30, 2011, 10:00:19 pm
Has anyone read the book by Klem Loskot called "der XI Grad"??? Any good?

http://www.udinishop.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p32_Der-elfte-Grad.html

Paul B

• forum hero
#1 Re: Klem Loskot Book
March 30, 2011, 10:14:54 pm
I haven't read it but I attended a lecture by Klem and it has to have been one of the most boring evening of my life (I'll add that I'd been in hosptial for a week, then at home for a week with little social contact and a lot of painkillers and it was still total shit).

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#2 Re: Klem Loskot Book
March 30, 2011, 10:16:57 pm
(I'll add that I'd been in hosptial for a week, then at home for a week with little social contact and a lot of painkillers and it was still total shit).

With your reputation, I would've thought you would've at least been in a coma, for a year!  ;)

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#3 Re: Klem Loskot Book
March 31, 2011, 09:54:07 am
I thought Klem was awesome when I went to see him, and I got a personal email from him afterwards when I got in touch to ask a question.  :wub:

I haven't read the book though so I'm not much help.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#4 Re: Klem Loskot Book
March 31, 2011, 10:54:32 am
The book is co-authored with Udo Neumann of Performance Rock Climbing english-language fame. I haven't read XI- Grad, but if it's typical of Udini's output then expect a very visuals- heavy comic book style, with some quite interesting ideas & insights, mixed heavily with stuff you've already seen before if you've read any of udini's other stuff.

Paul B

• forum hero
#5 Re: Klem Loskot Book
March 31, 2011, 02:07:37 pm
I thought Klem was awesome when I went to see him, and I got a personal email from him afterwards when I got in touch to ask a question.  :wub:

I haven't read the book though so I'm not much help.

seriously? He opened the talk with "Well I haven't been climbing for about 2 years now"

Does 'Animalistic' ring a bell?

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#6 Re: Klem Loskot Book
March 31, 2011, 03:02:57 pm
Yes, seriously.  :-[

It was a while ago I saw him though at least 2 years maybe longer, so maybe he's got shitter, he was just back from some crazy trip and had loads of amazing photos and he was so excited and psyched for everything.  I thought he was lovely, although he wasn't the best speaker in the world.

Animalistic does ring a bell, yes, although I can't rememebr why?  Was that the name of the talk?

Ackbar

• player
#7 Re: Klem Loskot Book
March 31, 2011, 07:52:12 pm
I went to a Loskot talk in Sheffield and remember him saying he hadn't climbed for 2 years, which is not great for generating psyche amongst your audience. But I became interested again because now, living in Austria, most of my local boulders have some pretty inspiring loskot problems such as this one.

Paul B

• forum hero
#8 Re: Klem Loskot Book
March 31, 2011, 09:57:37 pm
Animalistic does ring a bell, yes, although I can't rememebr why?  Was that the name of the talk?

No, it was a video of him running around a forest in an 'animalistic' manner...

account_inactive

• forum hero
#9 Re: Klem Loskot Book
March 31, 2011, 11:50:34 pm
Christ that video is everything I hate about bouldering........a tall guy jumping between jugs on head high boulders.

I thought his art book thing was pretty cool though

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#10 Re: Klem Loskot Book
April 01, 2011, 10:06:43 am
Ah!  Dylan's reminded me, I went to the Emotional Landscapes book launch tour thingy, so he talked about all the places featured in it and the trips to them and showed loads of photos.  It was cool, the photos were amazing, particularly the ones taken on huge pebble-like beach boulders somewhere I now can't rememeber.

I don't remember much animal-like running about though. :)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#11 Re: Klem Loskot Book
April 01, 2011, 10:38:46 am
Christ that video is everything I hate about bouldering........a tall guy jumping between jugs on head high boulders.

:agree:

Sorry Ackbar but I'm struggling to think of anything less inspiring than that.

gme

• forum hero
#12 Re: Klem Loskot Book
April 01, 2011, 12:20:38 pm
Without sounding completely vague is that bouldering area near Vienna. It looks like a place i went to years ago with an Austrian friend. It was a place developed by Klem in a wood with conglomerate type rock.

It looks similar to that in the video, some hard problems but really sharp and in my mind pretty shit. So shit in fact i had erased it from my memory until the vid gave me a flash back.

grimer

• forum hero
#13 Re: Klem Loskot Book
April 01, 2011, 06:45:09 pm
Oh I loved that video, maybe not the problem but thought it was a great piece of editing. Trippy. :fishing:

Stubbs

#14 Re: Klem Loskot Book
April 01, 2011, 06:51:47 pm
I went to see him lecture in Yosemite when he was touring the Emotional Landscapes book (which I really like), and I thought he was really engaging as a speaker.

Ackbar

• player
#15 Re: Klem Loskot Book
April 01, 2011, 07:02:25 pm
The area is near Graz (2 hours south of Vienna). St. Radegund to be precise. Very, small bouldering area. Only a few boulders. Generally the documented bouldering around Graz is pretty limited (would not recommend it for a bouldering trip), but what is there is nice. Was a bit of a surprise at first, coming from the gritstone to a place where even fb6B boulders involve horizontal climbing, but getting used to it now.

tomtom

• forum hero

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#17 Re: Klem Loskot Book
April 04, 2011, 09:37:42 am
I went to see him lecture in Yosemite when he was touring the Emotional Landscapes book (which I really like), and I thought he was really engaging as a speaker.
I think we saw him on the same tour, maybe he's gone downhill since, based on my experience I would have gone to see him talk again.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal