UKBouldering.com

trip to europe (Read 2064 times)

iwasmexican

• obsessive maniac
trip to europe
March 23, 2011, 04:54:02 pm
so im hoping to get away to the continent over summer for a about a month, in a car, with the plan being so far to spend a week in font, a week in magic wood and a week in zillertal, which leaves an extra week where i have no idea where to go, so any suggestions of somewhere between the three would be awesome.

also for staying in font, what are peoples experiences with camping vs staying in a gite, is it that much more expensive/ worth it etc etc...? same question for magic...?

Paul B

• forum hero
#1 Re: trip to europe
March 23, 2011, 05:39:33 pm
Font isn't a good choice in the summer. Neither is Zillertal. Magic Wood is feasible.

Sustenpass and higher venues (Ailefroide?) might be worth a look (assuming we're talking bouldering here?)

iwasmexican

• obsessive maniac
#2 Re: trip to europe
March 23, 2011, 09:49:56 pm
are we talking not at all worth it or just you wont climb very well at all...? the thing is my uncle has a cabin near zillertal though so ;)

and yes only bouldering, anywhere really, my knowledge of bouldering venues it limited to say the least...

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
#3 Re: trip to europe
March 23, 2011, 11:17:47 pm
Magic Wood is fine in summer if you climb early and later on after the sun passes over the narrow valley. Chill down by the river in the afternoon or go shopping for supplies in Thusis, drive up to Juf for an ice cream...etc

The campsite is cheap and you get to  wash in the river which was really refreshing!

Font will be hot but you could do some nice volume in more shaded areas. We passed through in August on the way to Magic for a couple of days and could still do some 7's in the heat/humidity later in the day.

I reckon the high passes would be a good shout as Paul said if you want some better temps. Hope you have a great trip planned out soon.  :thumbsup:

iwasmexican

• obsessive maniac
#4 Re: trip to europe
March 23, 2011, 11:46:30 pm
tbh im not super fussed about being able to crush, i just want to get to climb as much as possible whether or not the conditions are ideal, going somewhere higher up seems to be a good shout though

rodma

• forum hero
#5 Re: trip to europe
March 24, 2011, 08:56:55 am
Font is fine in the height of summer, so long as you are ok with climbing in the heat, holding onto hot rock and getting swollen feet.

I prefer it ther at that time of year, since the weather tends to be better, the sessions less frantic and you have much more daylight hours to sit around drinking in the evening  :alky:  plus camping is actually quite a nice activity in the summer.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal