UKBouldering.com

Using cat litter as a dehumidifier (Read 24943 times)

richieb

• menacing presence
Using cat litter as a dehumidifier
March 09, 2011, 10:30:26 pm
Anyone tried this? I've got some damp issues in the garage where my board is and I heard cat litter might soak up some of the moisture. Will it help or will all the local cats just come and piss in my garage?

Any other tips for dealing with damp and condensation in a garage? (I do have a proper dehumidifier as well)

Cheers

Paul B

• forum hero
#1 Re: Using cat litter as a dehumidifier
March 09, 2011, 11:32:42 pm
it might be a bit late but using Marine ply?

(The cats will probably just shit anywhere else but in your garage if you use the litter)

tomtom

• forum hero
#2 Re: Using cat litter as a dehumidifier
March 10, 2011, 06:47:42 am
Hmm... not sure, cat litter is often made of Tephra IIRC (solidified old volcanic ash & debris) - and with my rather small and not especially knowledgable geologists hat on, I wouldnt vouch for its capabilities. If you've already got a regular dep-humidifier in operation there then I'm not sure I can see how the kittylitter would help..? In my experience (damp cellars) those dehumidifiers do a good job if you leave them on for a long enough period...

richieb

• menacing presence
#3 Re: Using cat litter as a dehumidifier
March 10, 2011, 08:21:33 am
Thanks both.
Its not so much the plywood I am worried about (although I probably should be long term). Its more the fact that the holds towards the top of the board get damp during wet/warm weather. Beyond sticky damp.

I tried leaving a sample of cat litter in there and after a day it was damp. Im assuming though you would have to throw it away and start again otherwise it would just release that mosture back into the air during a colder dry period.

Probably best then to just leave the dehumidifier on for longer periods rather than just during a session.

erm, sam

• forum hero
#4 Re: Using cat litter as a dehumidifier
March 10, 2011, 08:54:11 am
I tried leaving a sample of cat litter in there and after a day it was damp. Im assuming though you would have to throw it away and start again otherwise it would just release that mosture back into the air during a colder dry period.

It would be better to leave the kitty litter outside (on a dry day) to dry and then you can reuse it. Don't need to chuck it away

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#5 Re: Using cat litter as a dehumidifier
March 10, 2011, 09:20:52 am
I thougt the same thing. Use it as a moisture "sink". But in the grand scale of things not that effective.

If it's only the upper holds that are getting sweaty, is that not due to warm damp air rising? Maybe a vent of some sort in the roof might help?

tomtom

• forum hero
#6 Re: Using cat litter as a dehumidifier
March 10, 2011, 09:53:23 am
I thougt the same thing. Use it as a moisture "sink". But in the grand scale of things not that effective.

If it's only the upper holds that are getting sweaty, is that not due to warm damp air rising? Maybe a vent of some sort in the roof might help?

Yup - or even just some air circulation (fan?)... sounds like its just condensation, which is when warm air hits a cold surface.... esp when its high up...

SA Chris

• forum hero
#7 Re: Using cat litter as a dehumidifier
March 10, 2011, 10:37:54 am
The climbing wall here is terrible for it in summer. Just at the top when you are getting pumped...

chris20

• menacing presence
#8 Re: Using cat litter as a dehumidifier
March 10, 2011, 11:04:37 am
I have the same problem in my garage, which leaks and i end up with a damp matress, but more important it looks like i'm culturing new life on the holds and the little shits only seem to want to grow on the tiny flattys and slopers that were hard enough to hold under optimal conditions  >:(

rodma

• forum hero
#9 Re: Using cat litter as a dehumidifier
March 10, 2011, 12:49:43 pm
Mechanical extraction (bathroom fan) with an integrated humidistat. Fan installed at the top of the garage. Install trickle ventilation in the other end of the garage at low level.

Or even better, would be to install an HRV extraxtor fan with a humidistat. I think Vent-Axia make one, but it is about £300. This would def sort out any dampness issues.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#10 Re: Using cat litter as a dehumidifier
March 10, 2011, 12:53:04 pm
Alternatively you could stick the kitty litter onto the top hold. Not only would it absorb moisture directly, but also give you a realistic conglomerate crag experience.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#11 Re: Using cat litter as a dehumidifier
March 10, 2011, 01:13:38 pm
I think it depends on what sort of garage it is before you invest in dehumidification processes

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#12 Re: Using cat litter as a dehumidifier
March 10, 2011, 01:14:56 pm
Satchets of silica gel on the high holds when not being used?

richieb

• menacing presence
#13 Re: Using cat litter as a dehumidifier
March 10, 2011, 05:52:01 pm
Good stuff - Thanks.
I think its a combination of condenstation and water leaking in through the (corrugated PVC) roof, specifically where the roof sits on top of the walls.

yorkshireman

• obsessive maniac
  • dont knock the rock if you're shaky at the grade
#14 Re: Using cat litter as a dehumidifier
March 10, 2011, 06:07:45 pm
if you dont use your garage for anything other than your board,carpetting the floor will help :)

SA Chris

• forum hero
#15 Re: Using cat litter as a dehumidifier
March 11, 2011, 08:51:23 am
I think its a combination of condenstation and water leaking in through the (corrugated PVC) roof, specifically where the roof sits on top of the walls.

Might just be a minor factor. I've got a large tub of creosote based roof sealant I'm unlikely to use if you want it.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#16 Re: Using cat litter as a dehumidifier
March 11, 2011, 10:13:38 am
carpeting the floor will just cause you to have a large, heavy, stinking, mouldy carpet on the floor.
Fix the roof first.
If its a prefab garage like ours then give up on the condensation because you need to insulate it which will cost more than the garages worth

richieb

• menacing presence
#17 Re: Using cat litter as a dehumidifier
March 11, 2011, 05:41:21 pm
Cheers again. To be honest it was sort of insulated (sheets of polystyrene slotted in between the breeze block and plaster board) before I ripped it out to build the board. This arrangement still covers about 75% of the walls, its just the section behind the board that is now exposed breeze block.
The roof is a puzzler cos I can find anywhere where it is clearly leaking, but the underside of the roof and the beams that support it get wet after heavy rain.

chummer

• forum abuser
#18 Re: Using cat litter as a dehumidifier
March 17, 2011, 01:32:02 pm
unfortunately Richie la it can be very difficult to locate roof leaks due to capillary action, where by the water travels away from the source of the leak and shows somewhere else.

With regard to condensation if you have damp problems having good ventilation as opposed to sealing everything in can help even if it is slightly counter intuitive. As others have touched on good insulation can help reduce the condensation too but just like in a modern well insulated house the eves of the roof still need to be vented to prevent moisture build up despite having reams of insulation in it to keep the warmth in.

One things for sure, it ain't going to be half as damp in your garage as where you'll be saying "I do".  :P

SA Chris

• forum hero
#19 Re: Using cat litter as a dehumidifier
March 17, 2011, 01:39:53 pm
Hope your lass is rocking the dress, wellies and headlamp look. Taking trash the dress to new heights.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal