UKBouldering.com

Replacement foam vs new pad (Read 4173 times)

pyrosis

• addict
Replacement foam vs new pad
March 03, 2011, 06:30:43 am
So here is my situation. I have an old misty mountain magnum, 4'x5'x4.5", have loved this pad for over half a decade by now. The foam is very soft, falling off a highball onto this thing would not be a good idea. And I do a fair bit of highballs.

I have ordered a new pad of the same size from Organic, 4'x5'x5", should be in next week. US$360 after shipping.

I thought, why not replace the foam in the misty and have TWO good big pads? Shouldn't be too expensive, right?

Wrong. After shipping, US$250 for the foam only.  Now, I can pick up a smaller pad from Organic, 3'x4'x4", for about the same price after shipping.

Now the question: Which is more bang for my buck.. Replace the foam in the misty and have two fully functional big pads? Or keep the misty the way it is and buy another NEW pad at 3'x4'x4"??

Is there any use in having a big soft sloppy pad? It might be good for going under the newer big one for super-cush landing, no?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1 Re: Replacement foam vs new pad
March 03, 2011, 08:11:52 am
Most of the US made pads get sent over here to get stuffed with foam, shipping plastic bubbles that far is a waste of money for everyone. Source your foam in the Uk and cut it to size.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#2 Re: Replacement foam vs new pad
March 03, 2011, 08:13:23 am
 :agree:

underground

• forum hero
#3 Re: Replacement foam vs new pad
March 03, 2011, 08:20:46 am
No idea really, but have you factored in any additional import tax? I just got a 'bargain' from the states and saved nothing

pyrosis

• addict
#4 Re: Replacement foam vs new pad
March 03, 2011, 08:33:28 am
I am actually in the states. So prices quoted are for the foam and/or pads shipped to my door.

So my choice is:

refurbished Misty with slightly torn cover but with new foam, 4'x5'x4.5"

vs

sloppy Misty of above dimension
AND another NEW pad of 3'x4'x4"

Which would you choose?

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#5 Re: Replacement foam vs new pad
March 03, 2011, 08:39:02 am
Ah, the "shipping" confused us limeys.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#6 Re: Replacement foam vs new pad
March 03, 2011, 09:40:03 am
Personally I would go for a new smaller pad, more use than two big ones. Can be used if you are doing circuits of lowball stuff or for tucking under boulders for sitters.

Stick the knackered one on ebay and get $50 for it.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#7 Re: Replacement foam vs new pad
March 03, 2011, 10:10:03 am
Interesting one this - at the risk of veering slightly off topic, I know that Alpkit were doing replacement Franklin Drop Zone foam for a time but not recently.

Anyone got any experience of re-foaming one? I've got an old one with an OK shell but the foam is dead. If I could re-stuff it for £50 it'd be a good supplementary landing for big stuff.

rodma

• forum hero
#8 Re: Replacement foam vs new pad
March 04, 2011, 08:39:02 am
Interesting one this - at the risk of veering slightly off topic, I know that Alpkit were doing replacement Franklin Drop Zone foam for a time but not recently.

Anyone got any experience of re-foaming one? I've got an old one with an OK shell but the foam is dead. If I could re-stuff it for £50 it'd be a good supplementary landing for big stuff.

:goodidea:

I'd be interested to know as well.

I punted an email around the houses a couple of years ago and no-one was doing replacement foam for anything other than the exact sizes for their own pads. I have an old cordless deluxe (same size and taco-style as drop zone), so needed to find a one-piece solution rather than trying to bodge the foam from a hinged pad into it.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#9 Re: Replacement foam vs new pad
March 04, 2011, 08:50:36 am
Hmmm - just LMJGTFY'd myself and found this thread from back in the day, suggestions seemed to be POD or Holdz:

http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php?topic=2008.0

pyrosis

• addict
#10 Re: Replacement foam vs new pad
March 04, 2011, 08:44:43 pm
Update:

I received the Organic Big Pad and it is beautiful, and I think a better pad than the Misty ever was (though they are the same size.)

I have come to the conclusion that it would be a far better deal to invest in another, smaller Organic than to replace the foam in the Misty.

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

Cheers!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal