UKBouldering.com

Odd joint injury (Read 1943 times)

Pebblespanker

• stalker
  • Old, grey and weak as a kitten
Odd joint injury
March 03, 2011, 02:09:34 pm
Managed to something odd to my left ring finger last week...  :shrug:

It appears it may have bent back too far from the joint nearest the hand, this manifests as a moderately painful joint and what feels like a warm tendon pain across my palm under odd circumstances. If I hold the finger out straight then apply gentle pressure backwards (I am thinking about a press type move may have caused this) there is moderate pain in the joint. Other fingers are fine. I can open hand fine and crimp OK. For example I did 1 set  of Frenchies on the poor slopers on my metolius board last night without pain.

I am wondering if in the process of bending back the joint opened up as it is still sore - no idea really???? If I gently squeeze the joint sides it is tender and if I try to make a tight fist the same happens. The oddity about the mild tendon like pain is it only apears if when sitting down in my office chair the rounded seat handle pushes into my palm - its not excruciating just makes itself felt. I have stopped using the wall (feckin tweaky plastic) until it heals  :furious: and am going very gently on the fingerboard - sloper work and jugs only, building very slowly to doing full routines again.

Anyone else suffered anything similar?? Any advice on cause, recovery and avoiding this again?? Apart from stop climbing like a tool  :-[

Cheers, H

ducko

• junky
#1 Re: Odd joint injury
March 03, 2011, 10:34:17 pm
A favourite on here for any tendon related pain seems to be icing the area,
best thing to use is an old yoghurt pot fill it with water stick it in the freezer and it makes a nice holdable icing thing!
Another is massaging the area to encourage blood flow ,
also I'm sure doing streches would help
good luck

Pebblespanker

• stalker
#2 Re: Odd joint injury
March 04, 2011, 08:20:34 am
Cheers mate, I'll give it whirl - its slowly improving but anything that assists will be good

rodma

• forum hero
#3 Re: Odd joint injury
March 04, 2011, 08:28:13 am
Be really careful with stretching, especially when it sounds like you caused damage by overextending.

I am not a fan of stretching recently damaged tissue.

Pebblespanker

• stalker
#4 Re: Odd joint injury
March 04, 2011, 12:46:35 pm
Good point and noted, thanks Rodma, I am being very gentle with stretching - each day I very, very carefully place pressure on to see how the joint feels and it is recovering compared to the other fingers, the bugger is accidentally catching it doing mundane crap round the house  >:(

Good news is that it's considerably improved since last Weds  :)

ducko

• junky
#5 Re: Odd joint injury
March 05, 2011, 01:05:08 pm
sounds ideal,
when i mentioned streches i didnt quiet mean a full yoga session but its important too get your muscles working/moving as long as it doesnt hurt     :weakbench:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal