UKBouldering.com

Not a patch on my down chum... (Read 2431 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
Not a patch on my down chum...
February 26, 2011, 12:38:14 pm
Thanks for all the previous answers to the 'how to wash my down jacket' question.. a wool wash and tumble dry with a tennis ball and some shaking worked a treat...

But before I give my 'down and out' style Alpkit jacket a good disinfection/washing, I need to do something more permanent about the two bits of finger tape that stop the down escaping in two places.. I've done some research, and found this seamgrip repair shizzle, and know that iron on patches exist.. but was wondering if anyone here had any success with patching their down with something more permanent than tape... (thankfully the jacket is black)

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#1 Re: Not a patch on my down chum...
February 26, 2011, 01:25:08 pm
sewing up the tear works well

plenty of little stitches

remus

• forum hero
#2 Re: Not a patch on my down chum...
February 26, 2011, 05:34:34 pm
Second the sewing option. Tested it myself after stepping on my jacket with crampons and its held up pretty well so far. Minimal escaping down and no perceptible cold spots.

tomtom

• forum hero
#3 Re: Not a patch on my down chum...
February 26, 2011, 06:56:35 pm
sewing up the tear works well

plenty of little stitches

I'm crap at sewing.  Seriously crap. In the end I went to Snow and Cock near mrsTT's and bought some Klingon patching shit (called tenacious tape!!??). Seems to be working well so far, see how it survives the wash..
Thanks for the suggestions..

Paul B

• forum hero
#4 Re: Not a patch on my down chum...
February 26, 2011, 09:24:56 pm
I've got a few patches that have worked really well. I personally feel duct tape is the best option to achieve that climber bum 'look'.

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#5 Re: Not a patch on my down chum...
February 27, 2011, 05:30:24 pm
My down jacket has had the same piece of Tenacious Tape on it for the past 4 years. I've only had it washed at a dry cleaners, but it was fine.

tomtom

• forum hero
#6 Re: Not a patch on my down chum...
February 27, 2011, 10:38:54 pm
My down jacket has had the same piece of Tenacious Tape on it for the past 4 years. I've only had it washed at a dry cleaners, but it was fine.

It's good stuff that tenacious tape.. Jackets just been through the washer and dryer just fine! :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal