UKBouldering.com

lost - hard drive, at climbing works(?) in jan - reward for return (Read 1940 times)

DubDom

• menacing presence
Iomega "ego"(!?) hard drive 500g, full of important data.

reward for return.

DubDom

• menacing presence
Found!!!!
 :thumbsup: :bounce: :lol: :pissed: :great: :dance1: ;D

Just got the bouldering Ireland guide today too

A good day!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
 :thumbsup: was it misplaced by yourself and found or returned by a kindly soul?

Probably worth making a backup of important work now  ;)

(NAS or online storage such as Dropbox are some of the possible solutions).

tomtom

• forum hero
And Carbonite or Mozy. Both cheaper (and actual back up solutions) than dropbox.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Regardless of cost Dropbox backs up your files online as part of the syncing process, on what front does it fail as a backup utility?

Carbonite is OS specific, whilst Mozy is specific to two OS's.

I'm waiting for tools to come out that work on the various NAS's that allow backup (some are available for certain chipsets of the ReadNAS family, but not all).

tomtom

• forum hero
 :yawn: with dropbox you have to put all your files/folders in the dropbox folder. The others work like a normal backup in that you select what files folders you want backed up. Dropbox $10 a month for up to 50gb, mozy cost me (1 month ago) $120 for two years (unlimited). No contest IMHO.

I still use dropbox free for transferring the odd file etc..

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
:yawn: with dropbox you have to put all your files/folders in the dropbox folder.

No you don't, you can just place symbolic links (shortcuts under M$ speak) in the Dropbox folder pointing to the directory/files you want backed up, not really any more hassle than firing up a dedicated GUI and navigating through to find the directories you want to back up.

Dropbox $10 a month for up to 50gb, mozy cost me (1 month ago) $120 for two years (unlimited). No contest IMHO.

I never disputed that there were cheaper alternatives, although the client software has to work on your system (most likely use similar to rsync under the hood).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal