UKBouldering.com

Any consumer rights gurus in here? (Read 1952 times)

iain_cbr

• addict
  • Weak lanky wannabe
    • A Ponderer's Ramblings
Any consumer rights gurus in here?
May 05, 2011, 07:41:56 am
Bought the mrs a second hand car from a local independant dealers. He gave us a 1 month warranty to cover major mechanical breakdowns. Since then, it's had dicky leccy windows which can have a mind of their own ("we don't cover electrics, sorry"), a gearbox fault (duly fixed without issue) and now we noticed the air con isn't working. I had it checked and the compressor's leaking hence it's not working. Cost around £400 to fix.
The garage are unwilling to fix this as it's not major enough, plus it's out of it's one month warranty (bought in march).

I was fairly sure that under the sale of goods act, if any faults occur within 6 months the vendor has a right to repair/refund/replace as it was assumed that the fault was there at the point of sale.

Has anybody had any experience of this type of blaggardry? When I first told the salesman about the air con he offered to make a contribution towards the repair, but then his dad overruled him and said it's just tough luck.

The sods.

tomtom

• forum hero
I think for cars its 3 months 'warranty' regardless... No matter what kind of 'warranty' its sold with. If its only a month on, I would go back to him and say fix it or money back please. Once its past a month thuogh, it gets easier for them to wriggle out of. Last car I bought I had checked out in the first week I had it, a couple of things were noted, and the dealer (one man band dealing with BMW trade in's) said no probs, take it here - tell them I sent you and they'll fix it - which they duly did.

The sad thing is there are shed loads of cowboys out there.. so you may have trouble getting them to do anything... as in, they may just say tough shit ferk off...

sjw

• obsessive maniac
I had a very similar problem when I bought my car a few years ago. The fuel filter went within a couple of weeks and the garage were, let's say, less than civilised in trying to sort it out. In the end, after the garage denying it was there problem for a while, I rang Consumer Direct. It's free advice and they were absolutely brilliant with all the facts. They told me exactly what to say to the garage and what I was entitled to. If you don't get anywhere, I'd recommend giving them a ring. Good luck!

Paul B

• forum hero
I think for cars its 3 months 'warranty' regardless...

The last independent I used told us he had to cover the car for 3 months regardless so the additional warranty he offered began from that point.

iain_cbr

• addict
  • Weak lanky wannabe
    • A Ponderer's Ramblings
cheers to you all for the responses. The garage are totally log, and are refusing to accept any responsibility so I've filled in the form on the consumer direct site, big thanks for the link!

Fingers crossed...

philo

• forum hero

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal