UKBouldering.com

one arm lock off (Read 16308 times)

chris20

• menacing presence
one arm lock off
February 23, 2011, 01:04:21 pm
Anyone got any advice for training one arm lock offs?  I'm trying to improve upper arm strength and I would like to be able to lock off with one arm.

I am mainly training on my finger board using a mixture of the metolius workout http://www.metoliusclimbing.com/training_giude_simulator.html (easy work out, I got spanked on the harder one) and repeaters and encores as suggested on the beastmaker site.

I've been trying to also use a sling hanging next to the board, keeping one arm lower and locking off with tother arm.  should I lock off until I fail or do similar sets as repeaters, ie 7 sec on 3 sec off etc and then progressively move down the sling.

Lund

• obsessive maniac
#1 Re: one arm lock off
February 23, 2011, 02:10:23 pm
Muscles operate in three different ways: the regular contracting fashion that takes you from the bottom of a pullup to the top; isometric (holding the position static, so locking at different depths in the pullup); and eccentric (trying to slowly lower down from the top of a pullup).

Eccentric is strongest, then isometric, and then finally the regular contracting motion.  Which is why if you can't do a one-armer you may still be able to lower down slowly on one arm and even stop at any point.

So, if you were strong enough to do a one-armer then you'd be able to lock off.  Thus: train the same way as you would for a one-arm pull-up.

Some specific advice: do a pull-up right to the top, let go with one hand slowly and gradually, and try you DAMNDEST to slow your somewhat rapid descent.  (Have a dump first.)  If you're not strong enough to do that, then do assisted one armers or if you can't do those do assisted one arm lowers - use a bit of therabizzle as the assist or an old inner tube say.

If you can't do that... do more pull ups and frenchies with both hands until you can.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#2 Re: one arm lock off
February 23, 2011, 02:21:22 pm
Anyone got any advice for training one arm lock offs?  I'm trying to improve upper arm strength and I would like to be able to lock off with one arm.

I am mainly training on my finger board

I am guessing you are talking full-locks rather than half-locks. As with one arm pull-ups it is easier to do this side-on. Trying it on a fingerboard forces you to do it frontally which is a level of difficulty harder and also 'feels' like it is creating a lot more injury-inducing strain as you are more twisted. Doing it on a bar means you can orient your body a lot more freely so I would start using a bar first especially as your aim is upper arm strength rather than the synergistic combo of arm and finger strength.

chris20

• menacing presence
#3 Re: one arm lock off
February 24, 2011, 10:59:32 am
 :thumbsup: thanks for the advice.  Yes I was talking full-lock, I thought that would be the easiest place to start.  I will look into getting a bar, I was having problems with twisting on one arm dead hangs so I was pinching the piece of ply that my board is bolted to to keep my body straight.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#4 Re: one arm lock off
February 27, 2011, 11:55:16 am
you could always twist on your fingerboard to make it easier. if you're training to lock off this is a better place to start than trying front-on locks, which not many can do anyway. training them on a board is much better than buying a bar since one relates to climbing the other is hanging on a bar

tunaficiency

• regular
#5 Re: one arm lock off
February 27, 2011, 07:08:57 pm
have been doing the metolius work out on my beastmaker but the lock-off part played havoc with my elbows so be carefull, especially the deep lock-off and lowering down part, so instead you could do assisted one armers using the mono jug and do as much as you can. Or when you do your repeaters do lock-offs at different angles and or with knees raised to work core and to increase difficulty.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#6 Re: one arm lock off
February 27, 2011, 07:55:03 pm
the lock-off part played havoc with my elbows so be careful

Agreed. I tried some one arm lock-offs on a bar a while ago and they felt like a really quick way to knacker my elbows, so I abandoned them toot sweet.

At the time I was working a problem where cutting my feet loose and campusing round the lip of a roof was the easiest way for me to do it - but then the object of the exercise is, of course, not to hold the one-arm lock statically, but to reach the hold with the other hand and get a foot back on asap.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#7 Re: one arm lock off
February 27, 2011, 08:30:12 pm
you could always twist on your fingerboard to make it easier. if you're training to lock off this is a better place to start than trying front-on locks, which not many can do anyway. training them on a board is much better than buying a bar since one relates to climbing the other is hanging on a bar

Is the opposite shoulder against the fingerboard when you do this ?

a dense loner

• forum hero
#8 Re: one arm lock off
March 05, 2011, 04:53:01 pm
good point, i was presuming locks were only at 90 for some reason

Bradders

• forum hero
#9 Re: one arm lock off
February 13, 2020, 09:47:23 pm
Bump.

Any thoughts on how best to train lock offs without your elbows exploding?

I like the idea above of doing negative one armers with assistance but anything else recommended? 

Ballsofcottonwool

• player
#10 Re: one arm lock off
February 14, 2020, 10:32:49 am
I use rings rather than a bar which allows me to hang and lower through a more natural range of movement rather than the rigid front on position forced by a bar or the jugs on a fingerboard.  I work the antagonists with overhead press and dips at about half the load I am pulling to keep the muscles balanced. I've had no elbow problems at all since I started doing internal and external rotation, eccentric exercises with a weight on a stick.

yetix

• forum abuser
#11 Re: one arm lock off
February 14, 2020, 10:43:10 am
Long duration 2 armed lock offs (30+ seconds) at 90 and 120 degrees is what I've been doing to manage elbow issues as per what C4HP on Instagram suggests, seems comfortable doing 1 arm locks now as a result, occasionally flares up but quickly goes.

Liamhutch89

• forum hero
#12 Re: one arm lock off
February 14, 2020, 12:19:41 pm
I learnt by doing a cheat 1 armer where you grab your wrist/forearm with the free hand and pull up to the lock position then slowly release the wrist over around 5 seconds trying to withstand dropping. Doesn't require any pulleys or bands.

It actually took 1 day to go from no lock whatsoever to over 5 seconds by just trying this every hour or so whilst I was in the vicinity of a scaffold. I think I could do around 10 normal pullups at the time.

tomtom

• forum hero
#13 Re: one arm lock off
February 14, 2020, 04:51:37 pm
I learnt by doing a cheat 1 armer where you grab your wrist/forearm with the free hand and pull up to the lock position then slowly release the wrist over around 5 seconds trying to withstand dropping. Doesn't require any pulleys or bands.

It actually took 1 day to go from no lock whatsoever to over 5 seconds by just trying this every hour or so whilst I was in the vicinity of a scaffold. I think I could do around 10 normal pullups at the time.

I’ve often wondered if this does all sorts of wrong things to happen/develop... but I’ve no idea!

dunnyg

• forum hero
#14 Re: one arm lock off
February 14, 2020, 04:56:52 pm
I don't get why it would be easier to grab your wrist than just pull up with 2 and let go with one...

tomtom

• forum hero
#15 Re: one arm lock off
February 14, 2020, 05:09:56 pm
I don't get why it would be easier to grab your wrist than just pull up with 2 and let go with one...

Because your body is in a position closer to when one arming?

Liamhutch89

• forum hero
#16 Re: one arm lock off
February 14, 2020, 05:17:33 pm

I’ve often wondered if this does all sorts of wrong things to happen/develop... but I’ve no idea!

I've never had any elbow or shoulder issues from locking off so i'm probably lucky. From the day I learnt them i've only got stronger at them

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
#17 Re: one arm lock off
February 14, 2020, 05:25:42 pm
Long duration 2 armed lock offs (30+ seconds) at 90 and 120 degrees is what I've been doing to manage elbow issues as per what C4HP on Instagram suggests, seems comfortable doing 1 arm locks now as a result, occasionally flares up but quickly goes.
I'm definitely going to look into this when I'm back to fitness. Oddly when fit I can generally always do one-armers but never been able to lock-off. Always known I need to train it but been scared to, cheers for the beta!

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#18 Re: one arm lock off
February 14, 2020, 05:48:51 pm
I'm definitely going to look into this when I'm back to fitness. Oddly when fit I can generally always do one-armers but never been able to lock-off. Always known I need to train it but been scared to, cheers for the beta!
What do you do at the top of the one-armer then??  :blink:

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
#19 Re: one arm lock off
February 14, 2020, 06:02:23 pm
Travel back down to earth v quickly...

crzylgs

• stalker
#20 Re: one arm lock off
February 14, 2020, 06:13:42 pm
Travel back down to earth v quickly...

This seems fairly unusal to me? I for one can't do a one armer, have never been able to, have never really trained for it but can lock off through a range of angles - easier the higher I am locked.

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
#21 Re: one arm lock off
February 14, 2020, 09:50:36 pm
Ok so maybe I was being dramatic, what I meant was couldn’t lock off for more than a few seconds. Definitely was never able to do one of these donut challenges

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#22 Re: one arm lock off
February 14, 2020, 10:39:55 pm
Get smaller donuts?? A few seconds would count imo.

Bradders

• forum hero
#23 Re: one arm lock off
February 15, 2020, 11:26:46 am
Thanks all for replies, really helpful.

This especially so. Wasn't aware of this stuff from him but having read through and listened to this podcast lots of it resonates. Especially helpful as I'm currently managing a little elbow pain!

Podcast:
https://www.trainingbeta.com/media/tyler-tendons/?portfolioCats=72

Interesting post:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B1ugkf5D_aW/?hl=en

tomtom

• forum hero
#24 Re: one arm lock off
February 15, 2020, 12:57:24 pm
Not dissing your IG link here Bradders - but a general point that nearly (all?) all training posts like theirs seem based on the posters ‘logic’ or reason rather than science. Holding stuff for longer to make your tendons stronger makes ‘sense’ but where’s the evidence?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal