UKBouldering.com

Bouldering in Ireland on sale now (Read 16372 times)

ksjs

• menacing presence
#25 Re: Bouldering in Ireland on sale now
February 16, 2011, 12:39:47 pm
cheers Dave. will have a look when im next home. i live in N Wales but am from NI originally and only get to climb there very occasionally and my first love is trad so thats the priority when im over. mind you i boulder a bit too and there arent too many folk heading to Fair Head or The Mournes for routes during Christmas Holidays for example so bouldering is the prescription.

another question: i think, maybe it was on The Short Span, i saw mention of a 'dirty' wee training venue near Newcastle which had shades of Parisella's about it. is this featured in the guide? does it stay dry in the rain? have you climbed in Parisella's, are the 2 any way similar?

FWIW i will probably end up buying the guide - although i dont climb there as much as i might like its always good to support and channel a bit of home even if its only in printed form - direct from you obviously.

thanks!

Dave Flanagan

• forum abuser
#26 Re: Bouldering in Ireland on sale now
February 16, 2011, 12:46:20 pm
cheers Dave. will have a look when im next home. i live in N Wales but am from NI originally and only get to climb there very occasionally and my first love is trad so thats the priority when im over. mind you i boulder a bit too and there arent too many folk heading to Fair Head or The Mournes for routes during Christmas Holidays for example so bouldering is the prescription.

another question: i think, maybe it was on The Short Span, i saw mention of a 'dirty' wee training venue near Newcastle which had shades of Parisella's about it. is this featured in the guide? does it stay dry in the rain? have you climbed in Parisella's, are the 2 any way similar?

FWIW i will probably end up buying the guide - although i dont climb there as much as i might like its always good to support and channel a bit of home even if its only in printed form - direct from you obviously.

thanks!

The Rockpool is on the seafront in Newcastle (see photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/globetrottingmatt/sets/72157605383132198/with/2544322896/ ), its no Parisella's being much smaller, more eliminatey and less steep. It might stay dryish in the rain but its not that steep.

ksjs

• menacing presence
#27 Re: Bouldering in Ireland on sale now
February 16, 2011, 12:50:46 pm
@ slack---line : i appreciate this and if i do buy the guide it would be direct.

ksjs

• menacing presence
#28 Re: Bouldering in Ireland on sale now
February 16, 2011, 12:54:43 pm
looks neat Dave. is it feautured in the guide? dont think its a deal-breaker if not :)

Dave Flanagan

• forum abuser
#29 Re: Bouldering in Ireland on sale now
February 16, 2011, 01:14:45 pm
looks neat Dave. is it feautured in the guide? dont think its a deal-breaker if not :)

Yep its there, just directions, a map and a photo. No topo.

AndyR

• forum hero
#30 Re: Bouldering in Ireland on sale now
February 18, 2011, 12:42:45 am
By the way, before anyone thinks Shark and I have gone soft, Dave has our sanction for this blatant free plugging ....

[though, Dave: you're welcome to buy a UKB hoodie once the profits start rolling in  ;) ]

How many free copies of the guide exchanged hands?
Well one hopefully ... probably being examined carefully for nudie pics by a camel-land customs officer as we speak. And apparently as a minor contributor I rank for a freebie anyway, so Dave's getting away very cheap.

I will get one of those hoodies though I'm a bit old for them now. Have you considered a UKB v-neck?

Bloody Hell TFK - good effort - that will be the first item of new clothing that The Flan has bought in over 10 years...

Dave Flanagan

• forum abuser
#31 Re: Bouldering in Ireland on sale now
February 18, 2011, 05:40:38 pm
Bloody Hell TFK - good effort - that will be the first item of new clothing that The Flan has bought in over 10 years...

Nothing has changed on that front Andy.

turnipturned

• forum abuser
#32 Re: Bouldering in Ireland on sale now
April 18, 2011, 03:27:36 pm
What's the cheapest way to get to Ireland form England/Scotland/Wales considering transport will be needed over there? Is the best way to either get a ferry with a car (if so where and when is the cheapest place to sail) OR to fly and rent a car (considering we are youths  :pissed: and people don't like to insure kids in cars for cheap)? And heaven forbid this option but is it possible do a trip by train (mainly interested in going to the East locations and possibly fair head).

Thanks for your help.

P.S. I can't swim!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#33 Re: Bouldering in Ireland on sale now
April 18, 2011, 03:36:48 pm
Ferry costs will vary depending on where you are sailing from and to.  It might be cheapest from one place e.g. Holyhead, but if you live near Glasgow thats going to cost you a fair bit driving all the way down when there are nearer options for ferries which may be cheaper.

Flights are relatively cheap from East Midlands or Manchester (the two places I fly to Dublin from with Aer Lingus, fuck Ryan Air, although they are often cheaper).

How youthful are you youths, as that often has a bearing (e.g. 17 v's 23).

Perhaps try using  :google: which might lead to some useful information on different options and their associated costs.  ;)

Dave Flanagan

• forum abuser
#34 Re: Bouldering in Ireland on sale now
April 18, 2011, 03:43:29 pm
It would be possible to get to some of the bouldering by public transport. A bus called St. Kevin's Bus goes from Dublin to Glendalough a few times a day. Glendo is an hours walk then. Glendasan would also but about an hour's walk, maybe less.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#35 Re: Bouldering in Ireland on sale now
April 18, 2011, 04:04:08 pm
If you are Scotland based you can get the ferry from Stranraer.

Cheapest option depends on many variables; how many of you going, how long for, how much travelling do you plan doing there, etc etc etc.

turnipturned

• forum abuser
#36 Re: Bouldering in Ireland on sale now
April 18, 2011, 04:47:17 pm
Thanks guys, yeah I have done quite a bit of researching seems expensive (£220 for the cheapest return ferry!). I was just putting a feeler out too see if anyone recently has done it for super cheap.
Cheers for the help and useful suggestions though  :)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#37 Re: Bouldering in Ireland on sale now
April 18, 2011, 04:49:38 pm
'Ireland' and 'cheap  holiday' are two phrases that don't rarely get mentioned in the same sentence.

Dave Flanagan

• forum abuser
#38 Re: Bouldering in Ireland on sale now
April 18, 2011, 05:04:00 pm
'Ireland' and 'cheap  holiday' are two phrases that don't rarely get mentioned in the same sentence.

Once you get here you can do it cheap. Camp and buy your food and beer in Aild/Lidl and keep out of the pub.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#39 Re: Bouldering in Ireland on sale now
April 18, 2011, 05:05:33 pm
That'd be where I always go wrong  :beer2: :pissed:  ;D

Danny

• junky
#40 Re: Bouldering in Ireland on sale now
April 18, 2011, 08:09:34 pm
Once you get there try and buy your food and beer in the North. Or, better still, stock your vehicle up in England. Way, way cheaper.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#41 Re: Bouldering in Ireland on sale now
April 19, 2011, 08:31:43 am
keep out of the pub.

Are you sure you are Irish?

roddersm

• stalker
#42 Re: Bouldering in Ireland on sale now
April 19, 2011, 08:45:37 am
Flying to Belfast (intl or city) or Dublin and highering a car might work out cheaper? You could fly to Belfast, stock up on supplies and head North to Fairhead, then south to Wicklow via the Mournes? Maybe you can rent Mats of Dave to save on the baggage?

Dave whats the best time of year to go to wicklow? Was thinking of getting  down sometime this soon but was wondering if maybe the frictions not so great over the summer?  Cheers.

Dave Flanagan

• forum abuser
#43 Re: Bouldering in Ireland on sale now
April 19, 2011, 08:48:13 am
keep out of the pub.

To be sure, to be sure, I am indeed.

Dave Flanagan

• forum abuser
#44 Re: Bouldering in Ireland on sale now
April 19, 2011, 08:49:43 am
Flying to Belfast (intl or city) or Dublin and highering a car might work out cheaper? You could fly to Belfast, stock up on supplies and head North to Fairhead, then south to Wicklow via the Mournes? Maybe you can rent Mats of Dave to save on the baggage?

Dave whats the best time of year to go to wicklow? Was thinking of getting  down sometime this soon but was wondering if maybe the frictions not so great over the summer?  Cheers.

Yep I have a few pads available to rent. Rodders the best time is probably March or September. Its starting to get warm now and the ferns and the midge are due any day now. If you are not that bothered about conditions now isn't a bad time...

SA Chris

• forum hero
#45 Re: Bouldering in Ireland on sale now
April 19, 2011, 08:56:30 am
keep out of the pub.

To be sure, to be sure, I am indeed.

Ah Bejesus! Have ye stolen me lucky charms! :)

roddersm

• stalker
#46 Re: Bouldering in Ireland on sale now
April 19, 2011, 09:12:02 am
Cheers Dave will probably sack it until September.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal