UKBouldering.com

Onychomycosis... (Read 4369 times)

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Onychomycosis...
February 17, 2011, 07:30:18 pm
...or fungal infection under the big toe nails as self-diagnosed.  I could see my GP but in the true tradition of UKB I'd much rather ask a bunch of (mostly) strangers with (mostly) no medical qualifications.

This seems to be an unintended consequence of wearing climbing shoes regularly for the last six months, my toes have not had this much abuse for ten years. It's been there for a couple of months and, whilst mild, seems to be getting worse. 

I've read this but wondered if anyone had successfully delt with it.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#1 Re: Onychomycosis...
February 17, 2011, 07:51:23 pm
I know someone who is dealing with this: 'Trosyl' = tioconazole, painted on twice a day, on prescription. They've been told it'll be 6-12 months to be free, but tbh after about 4 months massive improvement, and the nails were pretty bad before.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#2 Re: Onychomycosis...
February 17, 2011, 08:10:40 pm
Unless its severe a tub of Vicks vaporub whould see you right. Paint it on mornings and evenings.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#3 Re: Onychomycosis...
February 17, 2011, 11:39:19 pm
If it's got into the nail bed applying stuff to the nail will do sod all. A course of Lamisil tablets from your doc will sort it. Some docs reluctant to give them out, not sure why.

underground

• forum hero
#4 Re: Onychomycosis...
February 17, 2011, 11:56:22 pm
If it's got into the nail bed applying stuff to the nail will do sod all. A course of Lamisil tablets from your doc will sort it. Some docs reluctant to give them out, not sure why.

Probably they look in the dispensary book and find they're expensive with no generic alternative and no commercial incentive....

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#5 Re: Onychomycosis...
February 18, 2011, 08:20:48 am
If it's a fungal nail, topical treatments don't tend to work- you need 6 months of oral anti fungals.
Your GP would want to confirm fungus on nail clippings first though.

rodma

• forum hero
#6 Re: Onychomycosis...
February 18, 2011, 08:41:29 am
I went on the tablets for the prescribed length of time and it almost got rid of the problem. That was several years ago though and they're pretty much back to their original state now. I clip them really short and rub alcohol into them, seems to make a difference.

I previously tried the paint on stuff and it made the matter worse. instead of just the ends of the nails being bad, within two weeks of treatment both of ny big toenails were completely infected.

Monk

• regular
#7 Re: Onychomycosis...
February 18, 2011, 11:28:28 am
6 months of lamisil sorted it nicely for me and no hint of a return 6 years later. Mine was pretty far gone on most of my toenails (and very grim too), so I was quite impressed.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#8 Re: Onychomycosis...
February 18, 2011, 11:31:47 am
got it on 1 big toe, been prescribed that curanail paint on stuff first but its doing sod all so I'll be going back asking for the tablets.
I think the tablets can have some bad side effects

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#9 Re: Onychomycosis...
February 18, 2011, 11:45:47 am
Depends what the fungus is and therefore which drug is used, Jim.  It's mainly the effects on the liver that are an issue.  manufacturers often suggest monitoring of Liver Function whilst on antifungals, but there is a lack of evidence that it is essential.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#10 Re: Onychomycosis...
February 18, 2011, 11:50:33 am
I know someone who is dealing with this: 'Trosyl' = tioconazole, painted on twice a day, on prescription. They've been told it'll be 6-12 months to be free, but tbh after about 4 months massive improvement, and the nails were pretty bad before.

I got some of that stuff and it worked for me after about 4 months too. Need to follow instructions carefully though. Never came back, guess fungi can't cope with temps up here. I think good shoe / foot hygiene is pretty important too, as if you have miniging boots you can can reinfect.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#11 Re: Onychomycosis...
February 18, 2011, 11:52:04 am
Have a go with the Vicks first Jim. By far the most effective topical treatment I've tried. If its just one nail it should clear it up fine. Make sure you cut away everything you can while the nail is soft after a bath to allow it to get to the root.

Been on the Lamisil before and it a) didn't work and b) nearly killed my Dad via 'psychiatric disturbance' side effects. Shite.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#12 Re: Onychomycosis...
February 18, 2011, 12:22:30 pm
Thanks for the replies everyone.  No quick over-the-counter fix then!  Off to see my GP.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#13 Re: Onychomycosis...
February 18, 2011, 12:28:45 pm
tried the vicks already word.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#14 Re: Onychomycosis...
February 18, 2011, 12:41:29 pm
Ah well. You've got a choice of living with it, or liver damage and suicidal tendencies then. I think the relapse rate is something like 66% too. As you can tell I've given up on it...

Gus

• obsessive maniac
  • Smash It In!
#15 Re: Onychomycosis...
February 18, 2011, 12:50:38 pm
I've had pretty extreme fungal toenails before and as people said above, tried all the topical application stuff to no effect.

Basically if it's in the nail bed then tablets is the only way, and it's a long job, you need to keep taking them until it's totally grown through, ie the nail from all the way under the skin that you can't see. After a month or two of the tablets it's really reassuring to see a a clean nail starting to come through from all the way at the back of the nail.

The list of side effects on the tablets is pretty extreme, but it's well worth a go, like I said persevere with them.

Apparently anuyone who has ever had athlete's foot is subscebtable to fungal nails, as it's the same fungus.

Well worth getting it sorted, once mine were Ok I actually started to realise how f***ing painful my toenails were in tight rock shoes, sometimes the whole nail would come off, then just grow back with the same infection.

Good luck!!

rodma

• forum hero
#16 Re: Onychomycosis...
February 18, 2011, 03:28:41 pm
got it on 1 big toe, been prescribed that curanail paint on stuff first but its doing sod all so I'll be going back asking for the tablets.
I think the tablets can have some bad side effects

They might make you miss your period, so don't immediately assume your up the duff when you're late  :P

andybfreeman

• menacing presence
#17 Re: Onychomycosis...
February 18, 2011, 05:31:50 pm
this thread has been just the reminder that i needed to finally get round to making an appointment to get my minging toes looked at by a doctor. I'd tried vicks but that did sweet feck all!

For me the infection (presumed but no real question!) has resulted in my big toe nails snappig and falling off and generally looking more like claws than nails and so it's long over due that i do something.

Hopefully they'll prescribe the tablets so  in 6 months or so I'll be sorted

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal