• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#25 Re: Boot resole..ing
May 15, 2012, 09:18:35 pm

Thats assuming they're a native English speaker

torquil

#26 Re: Boot resole..ing
May 15, 2012, 11:56:48 pm
Ah the joy of spelling! Never my best quality, but luckily it doesn't affect my resoling too much. Hopefully all fixed now but do cast your eye over the site for any more...

I'm doing a drop off/pick up service from the Indy wall now too as well as V12 in Llanberis.

torquil

#27 Re: Boot resole..ing
May 16, 2012, 09:52:32 am
With the recent jump in shoe cost this might be a good time to set up a business here, climbing shoe repairs done by a climber for climbers.

That was my thoughts exactly, and I really believe being a climber does make a huge difference. Understanding the importance of fit is a big part of it, as well as understanding the difference between, say, a pair of Mythos and a pair of Hornets.

Anyone used Llanberis resoles yet?   (and if you read this, where did you learn the trade?).

I'm self taught. Not an easy task but a few hundred pounds worth of rubber, a stack of worn out hire shoes and hours of frustration, helped massively by advise from a couple of US resolers got me there. Resoling is tricky there's no doubt about it, but all the feedback I've had so far has been good.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#28 Re: Boot resole..ing
May 16, 2012, 09:57:33 am
Good luck with the venture, be nice to have resoling as an economically viable alternative again.

tweedcore

#29 Re: Boot resole..ing
May 31, 2012, 06:12:20 pm
Recently had mine and a couple of friends shoes resoled by 'llanberis resoles' and must say the quality is excellent, and the turnaround quick. Have used the resoled shoes both inside and out and they feel great, nice and stiff like a new pair of shoes but with that fitted feel you get from a pair of shoes that have stretched to fit your feet.

Doylo

• forum hero
#30 Re: Boot resole..ing
June 01, 2012, 12:26:25 pm
Petejh was made up with Llanberis Resoles, think i'm going to give them a go...

petejh

• forum hero
#31 Re: Boot resole..ing
June 15, 2012, 05:04:03 pm
Wanted to give a big thumbs up to Llanberis Resoles - Torquil did a brilliant job on a pair of Muira VS's,  the shoes came back precise and almost as good as a new pair, he even managed to keep the downturned toe.  Best resole job I've had by far - better than previous Miura's Ive had done at Feet First and Cheshire shoe repairs. Didn't take long either although I can see that changing with workload  ;) With the current difficulty getting new Sportiva's it's 25 quid very well-spent.

Doylo

• forum hero
#32 Re: Boot resole..ing
June 15, 2012, 06:25:05 pm
Yep he did a good job of my 5.10 teams too.. :thumbsup:

Gritlad

• obsessive maniac
  • I'm not actually much of a lad.
#33 Re: Boot resole..ing
July 04, 2012, 05:07:55 pm
really recomend Llanberis Resoles. got my boosters and vapours resoled with C4 rubber and they are awesome, like new but with with comfy uppers. plus kept the downturn on the boosters  :great:
cheers Torquil

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#34 Re: Boot resole..ing
July 04, 2012, 05:15:52 pm
I too have been very happy with Torquil's handy-work.  :2thumbsup:

remus

• forum hero
#35 Re: Boot resole..ing
July 08, 2012, 01:00:42 pm
I've had a pair of teams and a couple of pairs of whites done at Llanberis Resoles, haven't tried the whites yet but the teams are excellent. Like having a pair of shoes at that perfect stage where they're worn in but still have loads of rubber left, done a good job of keeping the downturn as well. Pity the inners are falling apart...

Doylo

• forum hero
#36 Re: Boot resole..ing
July 10, 2012, 12:16:51 am
My teams got better and better the more i wore them. Just hoping they don't peel as i can see it starting a little bit

torquil

#37 Re: Boot resole..ing
July 10, 2012, 08:49:40 pm
Hi Doylo, If they start to de-laminate just drop them back in and I'll re-stick them, its happened on about 4 pairs so far (out of nearly 200, so not bad odds). If anyone needs to do it by post I refund their postage costs too. If you need to I can do it while-U-wait, or at least while you get a coffee at V12 for 20mins, just give me a ring.

Whether this is something I can totally avoid as I get better, or whether its just an unavoidable part of resoling I'm not sure, I know people have had the same issues from feetfirst and CSR too. Time will tell I guess.

Doylo

• forum hero
#38 Re: Boot resole..ing
July 11, 2012, 12:25:25 pm
Cheers Torquil.  I'll drop them back if it gets any worse. They're getting quite a lot of use.  I still use my new shoes for hard redpoints but use the resoles for pretty much everything else and they're great.

benpritch

• forum abuser
#39 Re: Boot resole..ing
July 19, 2012, 08:18:15 am
Just had my teams done, totally blown away, brilliant job by LLanberis Resoles. Totally recommended. Thinking about getting some of my old favourite boots done now.

SamT

• forum hero
#40 Re: Boot resole..ing
September 24, 2012, 07:53:14 pm

+1 for Torquil at Llanberis - Top job on some old (and very very smelly - soz Torquil) Miura's, 
After nearly a decade out of climbing, I nearly spewed when I saw the price of new boots. Now I have my old fave pair with new stickier rubber on for about 1/4 of the price. 

Pebblespanker

• stalker
  • Old, grey and weak as a kitten
#41 Re: Boot resole..ing
October 17, 2012, 10:57:35 am
Had a pair of Anasazi Greens done by Torquil, can't fault the excellent work quality nor the turnaround time, the shoes were actually back with me before I had chance to pay, great service! :2thumbsup: though might be better from a business perspective only to post back once payment has been received??

Tested on Muchalls Shore last weekend and they were great, agree with comments about the fit still being excellent, looking forward to trialling on the grit this weekend as these feel good enough to use not just as wall boots (original idea to save the rubber on my 'good' Greens) but as back-up crag shoes as well  :)

Have some well deserved waddage  +1 and good luck with the business Torquil

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
#42 Re: Boot resole..ing
October 17, 2012, 11:17:52 am
I am now quickly beginning to regret binning my La Sportiva Venoms, had poked through the toe on them but foolishly presumed I'd have been able to pick up a new pair somewhere.

Oh hindsight, you horrible twat  :wall:

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#43 Re: Boot resole..ing
November 03, 2012, 10:06:49 am
I too have been very happy with Torquil's handy-work

Yet another recommendation for Torquil, nice one on reviving a pair of pinks. I look forward to my broken foot healing so i can put both of them on and climb some things in them. His handwork looks leagues above any other UK resoler.

dave

#44 Re: Boot resole..ing
November 22, 2012, 10:06:17 pm
Just got my pair of 5:10 galileo galileo galileo figaro's back from Torquil - not used them yet but they feel no different in fit - if not a bit better, and the workmanship of the joins looks pretty good. Infact there's a fair chance they're glued together to a better standard than they were originally from the 5:10 factory. So I'm cautiously optimistic this was money well spent.

AlistairB

• addict
#45 Re: Boot resole..ing
November 22, 2012, 10:56:58 pm
Another vote for Torquil, got my Pythons back a couple of weeks ago and they still fit great and are sticky as hell. Best thing is they don't need any breaking in which is great for stretchy shoes like Pythons. Fantastic to finally have a good resole option in the UK, particularly with shoe prices how they are these days.

hobblingfool

• regular
#46 Re: Boot resole..ing
November 23, 2012, 09:21:40 am
Yep Torquil will be getting more business from me in the future. Got my pythons back after about a week; excellent job and good value.  The fact that the rubber is so fresh rather than on new shoes that have been waiting in a box for a year before they are bought seems to make the rubber super sticky; better than the brand new pair I also have. Excellent service.

This thread is becoming a Torquil love-in. (Rightly so)

metal arms

• menacing presence
#47 Re: Boot resole..ing
November 23, 2012, 09:40:56 am

Tru dat.  He resoled some proper knackered boreals for me and they've come back like new.  Cheers Torquil.  Great service as well.

AJM

• obsessive maniac
#48 Re: Boot resole..ing
November 23, 2012, 10:37:59 am
Another +1 from me.

I'd only ever had them done at TCA in Bristol before, where they had come back good but it felt like quite quickly the edge had worn back down, and the whole process took well over a month because they send them away.

Dropped them in at V12 one Sunday and Royal Mail tried to deliver them back on the Wednesday, good quality stuff which is still holding up well despite some frequent use. Took a session or so to break back in but great after that

<instinct slippers, btw>

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#49 Re: Boot resole..ing
November 23, 2012, 07:14:12 pm

Tru dat.  He resoled some proper knackered boreals for me and they've come back like new.  Cheers Torquil.  Great service as well.

Gutted.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal