UKBouldering.com

Gunks bouldering logistics (Read 1698 times)

Dr T

• forum hero
Gunks bouldering logistics
February 01, 2011, 11:19:58 am
Have done some work with  :google: but haven't turned up quite as much as I would have hoped. (http://www.gunksbouldering.com/ doesn't seem to be much help...)
There is a possibility that Family T might be going to NYC for a week or so in the summer.
Firstly is it worth going to the Gunks and if so does anyone know the logistics

Travel - to and from NYC and around the area
Accommodation - where (Jr T will be 2 1/2 by then)
Pads - is there anywhere to hire them there or is the "buy a cheap on and get it sent back ship" the best option

plus anything else that might help....

Cheers all

(I'm also going to look at Bear Mountain which someone mentioned on another thread so any extra info on that would be cool too)

yorkshirewarcry

• player
#1 Re: Gunks bouldering logistics
February 02, 2011, 05:03:47 am
Travel - to and from NYC and around the area

About 2.5 hours if I remember correctly - avoid rush hour when leaving the city.   Pleasant and easy drive once you get out of NYC.

Accommodation - where (Jr T will be 2 1/2 by then)

Loads of options at most price levels in New Paltz - budget motels to luxury "B&B" options.  Also some family friendly campsites with decent facilities and probably cabins for hire nearby too with kitchenettes etc.

Pads - is there anywhere to hire them there or is the "buy a cheap on and get it sent back ship" the best option

Not sure about that one - although I do recall some of the landings not being great so you may want a couple of pads and a good spot.  Depending on the time of year there will probably be others around with pads.  When I have encountered pads for hire they're usually pretty shit and around $10-17 a day.  I'm in California now and picked up a decent BD pad for $180.  I'll probably leave it here as hadn't considered shipping it back to the UK.

plus anything else that might help....

There is also a place called Mckenzies pond (I think) in Upstate NY that looks pretty cool.   I also thought Lincoln Woods was worth a visit (in Rhode Island - a couple of hours North of NYC).  Not a great area and nowhere near as scenic as the gunks or Mackenzies pond area. 

Enjoy

Dr T

• forum hero
#2 Re: Gunks bouldering logistics
February 02, 2011, 09:47:39 am
Thanks  :thumbsup:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#3 Re: Gunks bouldering logistics
February 02, 2011, 09:49:03 am
http://www.newenglandbouldering.com/ might be a good source for answers to your questions.

I've not been myself, but friends who have gave the impression it's good for routes, but the bouldering is more of a sidelin, and not why you would go there? I could be miles off the mark though.

The website above shows what else is available. I'm scratching my head to remember, but I think there is a section on bouldering the area in one of the Dosages? I think there is an article in a recent US Mag, will have a look at home.

Stef

• player
#4 Re: Gunks bouldering logistics
February 15, 2011, 01:07:49 am
Hey Ben, I have lots of friends-climbers down there with whom I can put you in contact with.
Though the first thing I can tell you is that summer isn't the right time for that area. They always say it is too hot to climb, but I guess you may not have the whole choice for the time.
However, I will investigate towards my buddies down there and let you know for details asap.
For gunksbouldering.com, Dave Toth, who's the moderator and administrtor has left the stuff so the website and forum isn't with updated by now.
I'll get you facebook contacts and those guys are real local to tell you all about it.
Of course, you will have to be recommanded from me ! ahahaha !!!
Bye for now,
Stef.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal