UKBouldering.com

Lens Repair? (Read 7316 times)

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
Lens Repair?
October 26, 2010, 02:06:32 pm
Ok guys - would like some advice from someone who has had a lens repaired or anyone who can be arsed replying/wants to laugh at me...  ;)

I had a freak accident a while back when my camera and Tokina 11-16 lens got blown off my car roof (by the f'ing wind not a car bomb) whilst I was packing away my climbing gear :'( (I reckon they weigh about 3kg together). The lens took the full whack of impact, filter shattered and got a dent in the lens casing (thankfully camera body was ok). This has caused the autofocus to stop working, it makes a strange whirring clicking noise. The glass itself appears undamaged...

Anyway I was doing ok just manually focussing, but it now seems that the manual focus is getting slightly out too, either that or my eyes are fecked.  :alky:

So I am thinking my options are (in no particular order/preference):

• Sell the lens on Ebay
  • Send it off for repair somewhere in the UK (no Tokina, the disty is Kenro apparently)
  • Send it to Tokina in the states for repair
  • Another option I have not thought of

Lens value is approx £450

Any ideas how much a repair could cost (I realise this is difficult to predict, but a ball park figure would be good) and is it worth it, I assume they charge a flat fee just to look at a lens?

cofe

• forum hero
#1 Re: Lens Repair?
October 26, 2010, 02:18:19 pm
I've always used H Lehmann in Stoke for lens and camera repairs. I'd guess you'll be looking at £100++ for it, possibly nearer £150 or even £200. I had a Tokina repaired last year, but I can't remember 100% if it was them or not. Won't hurt to give them a call, and even spend the £5 special delivery to let them have a proper look.

grimer

• forum hero
#2 Re: Lens Repair?
October 26, 2010, 02:29:43 pm
I have had almost the exact same thing recently when I fell over at a crag. Same damage and symptoms. Was wondering what to do about it.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#3 Re: Lens Repair?
October 26, 2010, 04:38:44 pm
When I smash my camera gear up I either keep using it whilst moaning about its problems, or put it in a cupboard and never get round to repairing it. And then eventually take it apart myself, with mixed results...

cofe

• forum hero
#4 Re: Lens Repair?
October 26, 2010, 04:39:59 pm
Have you called Kenro? After thinking on it, I think they repaired my Tokina.

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#5 Re: Lens Repair?
October 27, 2010, 12:03:14 pm
Have you called Kenro? After thinking on it, I think they repaired my Tokina.

Just got off the phone with them - they said to send them an email detailing the issue with photos of the damage which would then get passed to their technical team who should be able to provide a rough estimate of costs.

Will take some photos tonight and see what they say... at least it should save me the postage just to get the price.

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#6 Re: Lens Repair?
November 01, 2010, 09:47:38 am
Kenro have said they would charge me £84 + parts (they estimate parts to be £5-£10) to repair the lens so have sent it off to them.. hopefully they can do a good job!

cofe

• forum hero
#7 Re: Lens Repair?
November 01, 2010, 10:10:48 am
that sounds pretty good to me given the damage you described. good luck!

DubDom

• menacing presence
#8 Re: Lens Repair?
November 16, 2010, 09:29:09 am
For the record there's a company called TLS http://www.truelens.co.uk/ that have a pretty good rep. Small company, very approachable based in Leicester.

grimer

• forum hero
#9 Re: Lens Repair?
November 25, 2010, 10:35:23 am
How did this work out tris?

Yours, a fellow broken lenser.

Tris

• forum hero
  • Next left...
    • Cheshire Climbing
#10 Re: Lens Repair?
January 17, 2011, 05:29:48 pm
How did this work out tris?

Yours, a fellow broken lenser.

Hey grimer, sorry for the very late reply - been very out of touch for a while and not logged on here for months. (baby/work commitments etc etc)

Anyway - the bottom line is.......

..... Tokina are a bunch of cnuts. My lens has been with Kenro since the beginning of November who are still waiting for Tokina to ship them the spare parts to fix my lens (apparently the same for about another 20 people or so).

I reckon I might get it back by spring if I'm lucky. Good job I don't make a living out of photography  :wall:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal