UKBouldering.com

Bit of market research (Read 14673 times)

Nick B

• addict
Bit of market research
February 05, 2011, 10:57:12 pm
What would people like to see in a UK climbing film, with regards to style of shooting, extra shots between climbs, interviews, music, easy or hard climbs etc?

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#1 Re: Bit of market research
February 05, 2011, 11:29:31 pm
I'd be interested to see people pushing themselves but on easier terrain. Not necessarily dead dead easy but committed climbers trying hard. Most likely to get this kind of shot at HVS-E4/5?

Paul B

• forum hero
#2 Re: Bit of market research
February 05, 2011, 11:37:09 pm
I think it popped up in the other thread that people feel the latest climbing films have little behind the climbing unlike some previous productions like "Stick it!" etc. Others have tried but I found the hot aches stuff to be pretty godawful and cheesy as hell.

It would be good if people took advantage of the now affordable quality accessible via DSLR as well (this is showing through in plenty of shorts). Every man and his dog has something capable of capturing footage where everything is in focus and a tripod to go with it, give us something more interesting.

Not necessarily dead dead easy but committed climbers trying hard. Most likely to get this kind of shot at HVS-E4/5?

But you can just do this at Stanage popular? I'm not trying to be elitist but if I'm going to buy something it needs to be truly inspiring/interesting.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#3 Re: Bit of market research
February 05, 2011, 11:47:50 pm
I think that kind of stuff could be very inspiring. Easier to relate to for the average punter like me and not necessarily boring. Whippers on Big Greeny etc as they go ground up or onsight could be exciting and much more inspiring than bigger numbers getting headpointed which is a style of climbing I've never engaged in and can't really relate to.

Maybe as a concept you could get a group of climbers who are willing to commit to the project and want to improve but have never really pushed themselves before. Get them training and film the resulting crushment.

Nick B

• addict
#4 Re: Bit of market research
February 05, 2011, 11:53:08 pm
I think that kind of stuff could be very inspiring. Easier to relate to for the average punter like me and not necessarily boring. Whippers on Big Greeny etc as they go ground up or onsight could be exciting and much more inspiring than bigger numbers getting headpointed which is a style of climbing I've never engaged in and can't really relate to.

Maybe as a concept you could get a group of climbers who are willing to commit to the project and want to improve but have never really pushed themselves before. Get them training and film the resulting crushment.

I think currently the film would be based around a select few boulderers operating at a fairly elite level.... Having said that, there is always opportunities to film 'easier' climbs. I know that there is a bit of trad on film and more planned, but so far mainly bouldering.

It would be good if people took advantage of the now affordable quality accessible via DSLR as well (this is showing through in plenty of shorts). Every man and his dog has something capable of capturing footage where everything is in focus and a tripod to go with it, give us something more interesting.

DSLR is a big part of it

Paul B

• forum hero
#5 Re: Bit of market research
February 05, 2011, 11:57:36 pm
(hope you've got a focussing screen, that section of the prophet [although I'm informed wasn't filmed on a DSLR] was slightly frustrating to watch)  ;)

Beastmaker the movie?

andy_e

• forum hero
#6 Re: Bit of market research
February 06, 2011, 12:03:07 am
Can we see some punters in godawful mountain hardware pants struggling up wet severes at stanage? I think the music should be out of the "overrated artists" thread and between the shots of climbing should be kittens playing with balls of string.

Paul B

• forum hero
#7 Re: Bit of market research
February 06, 2011, 12:06:17 am

mikester

• regular
#8 Re: Bit of market research
February 06, 2011, 08:51:03 am
Would be nice to see a film that doesn't start (or in fact include at all) driving-to-the-crag-whilst-filming-out-of-the-window shots (including speeded-up versions) or the closely-related driving-to-the-crag-whilst-filming-the passengers shots. This is climbing not Top Gear  ;D

It always seems difficult to convey the difficulty of hard climbs, but I like to get a sense of how much effort goes into these things. Mind you, it's good to see wads cruising up them as well. Also be nice to see/hear some British crag  banter rather than the US style whoopin' n hollerin'!

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#9 Re: Bit of market research
February 06, 2011, 09:17:44 am
Would be nice to see a film that doesn't start (or in fact include at all) driving-to-the-crag-whilst-filming-out-of-the-window shots
Similarly, bouldering footage that doesn't involve somebody walking through a wood carrying a pad.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#10 Re: Bit of market research
February 06, 2011, 10:03:15 am
OTOH - thinking of one particular recent entry in both Quality Bouldering Vids and DFBWGC - we need a whole lot more East European babes bathing in rivers.

But seriously though: what's unique to British climbing but isn't gritstone (which has been done to death on film anyway)? Sea Cliffs! I imagine the filming logistics might be horrendous, but there's certainly plenty of stuff at relatively modest grades on some really bizarre looking and photogenic rock. Mousetrap Zawn springs to mind.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#11 Re: Bit of market research
February 06, 2011, 11:44:25 am
I'd echo what others have said. A good climbing film should have interesting dialogue with the climbers. Too often this is a boring add-on given little time and thought. As much or more effort should be put into the lead-up/context of an ascent rather than a token effort (or no effort) and then footage of the 'send'.
Some good crag banter would also be good. You very rarely see this on films, maybe because people instantly feel awkward and stop acting naturally as soon as someone turns on a video camera, so any banter also looks/sounds awkward. Keeping the camera running all day at the crag would get around this. Obviously this means the camera man has to concentrate on filming all day rather than trying to sneak in some climbing for themself.
Ditto what mikester says about cliches!

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#12 Re: Bit of market research
February 06, 2011, 12:39:49 pm
Ditto what mikester says about cliches!

Always wondered about making a tongue in cheek cliche Font video along the lines of The Roots "What Do Video" - enough footage of driving through the forest, people carrying pads, slow pans around the forest etc and I reckon it'd be possible..

http://vodpod.com/watch/1833172-the-roots-never-do-what-they-do

remus

• forum hero
#13 Re: Bit of market research
February 06, 2011, 01:07:55 pm
What bonjoy said. I dont really mind what sort of shots/music are used if it gets the point across. What I do care about is why they're doing whatever it is they're doing.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#14 Re: Bit of market research
February 07, 2011, 11:50:25 am
Would be nice to see a film that doesn't start (or in fact include at all) driving-to-the-crag-whilst-filming-out-of-the-window shots
Similarly, bouldering footage that doesn't involve somebody walking through a wood carrying a pad.

Then some clips of someone failing on a problem a few times, then a fade to black with a little title giving name and grade of problem just before they do it, thus removing any tension as to whether they will succeed or not on the next attempt.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#15 Re: Bit of market research
February 07, 2011, 12:09:26 pm
It'd be good to hear people say what they're thinking about the climbing - and maybe how it fits in/messes up/enhances their life (or just that day if it's interesting)

Seeing a bit of emotion being expressed is always good, but I guess it's hard to get it on camera/mic without it all being a bit daytime/reality TVish. Sweary banter would suffice in the event that no tears are shed.

I think a few sound recording devices left running at all times and scattered around the bouldering and spotting areas could lead to a few minutes of interesting stuff to use instead of just music.

Maybe Nick-at-work singing his favourite kids TV theme songs?

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#16 Re: Bit of market research
February 07, 2011, 12:28:15 pm
Please don't use slow-motion shots of climbers chalking up by slapping their hands in the chalk then clapping them together like sumo wrestlers.

nik at work

• forum hero
#17 Re: Bit of market research
February 07, 2011, 12:35:07 pm
Maybe Nick-at-work singing his favourite kids TV theme songs?
It's not just kids TV, you should hear my Animal Hospital.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#18 Re: Bit of market research
February 07, 2011, 12:49:25 pm
Always happy to resurrect a classic (skip to 1:05)

turnipturned

• forum abuser
#19 Re: Bit of market research
February 07, 2011, 12:59:06 pm
Lakes, Yorkshire and Cornwall! Shot with a steady/glide cam!  :)

iwasmexican

• obsessive maniac
#20 Re: Bit of market research
February 09, 2011, 10:01:28 pm

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#21 Re: Bit of market research
February 09, 2011, 11:00:46 pm
Please don't use slow-motion shots of climbers chalking up by slapping their hands in the chalk then clapping them together like sumo wrestlers.

Although...  slow motion shots of scantily clad female athletes chalking up their hands and slapping their thighs/buttocks like sumo wrestlers would get my attention.

Pro-Celebrity high balling could make interesting viewing.

Chris Sharma paired with Simon Schama
Johnny Dawes paired with Brian Blessed
Andy Earl paired with Bez
Boris Johnson paired with Sloper

just imagine the banter

DaveC

• junky
  • Old skool...with emphasis on the "old".
#22 Re: Bit of market research
February 09, 2011, 11:57:08 pm

just imagine the banter

If you don't mind I'd rather not. ::)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#23 Re: Bit of market research
February 10, 2011, 08:45:44 am
Proper onsighting / groundupping without skipping through all the faff and terror.

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#24 Re: Bit of market research
February 22, 2011, 09:21:26 pm

Although...  slow motion shots of scantily clad female athletes chalking up their hands and slapping their thighs/buttocks like sumo wrestlers would get my attention.

Pro-Celebrity high balling could make interesting viewing.

Chris Sharma paired with Simon Schama
Johnny Dawes paired with Brian Blessed
Andy Earl paired with Bez

just imagine the banter

Sounds like a great idea.  Remind me, what are the rules of Pro-Celebrity high balling?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal