UKBouldering.com

Serious Delirium - the coffee thread (Read 213329 times)

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#525 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
September 02, 2021, 11:58:09 pm
Heads up for anyone interested in reasonable supermarket espresso beans.

On offer at Lidl at the moment (Sheffield) is their designated espresso bean, large bags @ £7.99  for 1.2kgs.

This isn't the crappy stuff I tried earlier in the year. Good dark roast, and at the price, very good value indeed.
I picked up three bags tonight, and I'll be going back for more tomorrow - early in the morning, because I probably won't get to sleep now!

galpinos

• forum hero
#526 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
September 03, 2021, 07:55:42 am
This was recommended on the Serious Eats site, it looks pretty good to me,  has anyone tried it?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fellow-Prismo-AeroPress-Coffee-Attachment/dp/B079YBT2LJ

Toby, did you try this or get any feedback?

I got an Aeropress Go for my birthday this summer and fancy getting the camping coffee paraphernalia down to just the Aeropress Go and a grinder (was previously Aeropress, Brikka and grinder) but would miss the first coffee being a thicker short drink that I can't, currently, achieve with the Aeropress. Hoping this would be the answer.......

James Malloch

• forum hero
#527 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
September 03, 2021, 10:22:50 am
This was recommended on the Serious Eats site, it looks pretty good to me,  has anyone tried it?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fellow-Prismo-AeroPress-Coffee-Attachment/dp/B079YBT2LJ

I got an Aeropress Go for my birthday this summer and fancy getting the camping coffee paraphernalia down to just the Aeropress Go and a grinder (was previously Aeropress, Brikka and grinder) but would miss the first coffee being a thicker short drink that I can't, currently, achieve with the Aeropress. Hoping this would be the answer.......

I’ve used my friends and like it. Definitely gives a more espresso-like coffee (vs. Standard filter). No er compared it to a stove-top but from memory it would like somewhere in between. I liked it but never got around to ordering one myself.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#528 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
September 04, 2021, 07:40:26 am

I haven't yet Nick, but now you've reminded me I may well do. Got a new grinder a few months ago which is brilliant and it might be time for a new gadget.

Paul B

• forum hero
#529 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
October 04, 2021, 03:09:59 pm
It runs slightly contrary to this thread but does anyone have decaf recommendations?

My Dad recently had an(other) issue with his heart and ended up in Arterial Fibrillation (sp?); he's been told to stay away from booze and caffeine or risk it happening again until he's had some other (brutal) sounding procedure. When he was living with us about 6 months ago I was a bit aghast at how much coffee he was drinking daily (mainly because I was paying).

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#530 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
October 04, 2021, 03:38:54 pm
It runs slightly contrary to this thread but does anyone have decaf recommendations?

Not something I personally know much about, but James Hoffmann runs the ultimate coffee geek youtube channel, and he mentioned recently that he's going to be doing a piece on decaf soon. Worth looking out for.

Paul B

• forum hero
#531 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
October 04, 2021, 04:59:32 pm
Thanks. I'm already subscribed to his channel just for amusement value.

TobyD

• forum hero
#532 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
October 04, 2021, 05:57:17 pm

Been ages since I had any but I think I had some of the Lavazza decaff and that was acceptable, which is probably good really, considering that I think the vast majority of decaff coffee tastes horrible. Weirdly enough I find decaff tea almost indistinguishable from normal tea.

TobyD

• forum hero
#533 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
December 09, 2021, 08:26:22 am
Got one of these for an aeropress: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fellow-Prismo-AeroPress-Coffee-Attachment/dp/B079YBT2LJ/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?crid=1NEJ9XETX8OC4&keywords=fellow+prismo&qid=1639038132&smid=ANJGX817ALGAC&sprefix=fellow+p%2Caps%2C2234&sr=8-1

Its worth getting, it certainly doesn't make espresso, but it does make a slightly punchier coffee than the standard setup. It also means that you don't use filter papers.

andy popp

• forum hero
#534 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
December 09, 2021, 09:40:42 am
That's prompted me to ask a question: what do people reckon the lifespan of an Aeropress is?

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#535 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
December 09, 2021, 09:58:36 am
I bought one in 2017 and its fine despite regular use. Reckon at least 5 years, probably more.

petejh

• forum hero
#536 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
December 09, 2021, 10:07:26 am
I got around 7 or 8 years regular use from mine before the seal failed.

James Malloch

• forum hero
#537 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
December 09, 2021, 10:07:41 am
I bought one in 2017 and its fine despite regular use. Reckon at least 5 years, probably more.

Mine isn’t that old, but it gets used 2x a day and it’s been going strong for 3-4 years. I did replace the rubber on it once but that only cost a couple of quid for a replacement.

I take it apart to clean which I guess means there’s and extra in/out per use. My friends just give it a rinse once pressed through which stops this extra wear.

remus

• forum hero
#538 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
December 09, 2021, 10:43:19 am
My partners one is at least 6 years old, used at least 3 times a day. Starting to die though, there's some stress fractures building up in the plastic presumably from the thermal shock of pouring the boiling water in.

GazM

• forum abuser
    • Highland ramblings
#539 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
December 09, 2021, 10:54:07 am
Mine's nearly 5 years old and going strong despite at least twice daily use. I've replaced the rubber bung once.

I use metal filters. Can't be doing with faffing with paper ones.

andy_e

• forum hero
#540 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
December 09, 2021, 11:10:08 am
As per others, used since ~2016 with one bung replacement this year. I use paper filters, as I have asuspicion the embedded carbon in the production of metal filters is greater than using paper filters, but have no data to back that up, and also paper filters are finer than the metal ones.

joel182

• obsessive maniac
#541 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
December 09, 2021, 11:55:11 am
Had my Aeropress since 2015 and it's still going fine. No signs of plastic cracking, but I have replaced the gasket once.

andy popp

• forum hero
#542 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
December 09, 2021, 12:38:35 pm
Thanks! Ours is six years old, and used 2-4 times a day (three coffee drinkers in the household) with paper filters. I think I need to look at replacing the gasket/seal (which I hadn't realised you could do). No cracking but the inside of the sleeve/barrel feels abraded in places.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#543 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
December 09, 2021, 02:14:06 pm
As per others, used since ~2016 with one bung replacement this year. I use paper filters, as I have asuspicion the embedded carbon in the production of metal filters is greater than using paper filters, but have no data to back that up, and also paper filters are finer than the metal ones.

Metal one infinitely more convenient when in the van though, allows you to just eject the grounds into the nearest ditch!

You're probably right on the carbon based on production, but perhaps once you factor in the logistics costs of transporting repeated batches of paper filters (over many years) maybe its about the same? I concluded reusing was better than buying new filters all the time.

andy_e

• forum hero
#544 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
December 09, 2021, 02:34:25 pm
Leave no trace Jim! I just pop mine out into food waste bags and chuck them in the compost when I get home...

I do wonder at what point the crossover is in embedded emissions, but a lot of the filters I used were a charitable donation from someone of this parish, thereby stopping them going to waste...

joel182

• obsessive maniac
#545 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
December 09, 2021, 02:41:58 pm
An AeroPress filter weighs about 0.2g so I am not sure this is a particularly high value area to focus on for those worried about their emissions.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#546 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
December 09, 2021, 03:04:16 pm
Both of my 'presses came from skips, so I can sleeply soundly at night.. unless I use my other machine, and have an espresso at 3am. Still need to do something with the two group commercial machine I recovered.  ;D

I find it hard to believe it isn't better to use the metal filter, but more than that, it's hard to believe anyone is so worried about that, while possibly ignoring the offset against maybe one less car trip to the crag, or anything else similar.  ;)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#547 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
December 09, 2021, 03:06:32 pm
An AeroPress filter weighs about 0.2g so I am not sure this is a particularly high value area to focus on for those worried about their emissions.

I expect that any positive difference made getting the metal vs paper filters (if there is any) is pissed away after you've used the internet bandwidth necessary to research the issue and then posted about it here...

Still, Jim/Andy will be able to give himself a pat on the back for Doing His Bit as he hurls his Ecuadorian grounds from his diesel van.

(I'm deliberately shitposting. No need to defend yourselves. I get it.)

andy_e

• forum hero
#548 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
December 09, 2021, 03:09:20 pm
It's more about the principle of thinking about everything and reducing everything I do to make as minimal an impact as possible on the planet. Of course I know it's an infinitessimally-small amount of carbon. Doesn't make it not worth thinking about.

joel182

• obsessive maniac
#549 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
December 09, 2021, 03:29:57 pm

I expect that any positive difference made getting the metal vs paper filters (if there is any) is pissed away after you've used the internet bandwidth necessary to research the issue and then posted about it here...

Still, Jim/Andy will be able to give himself a pat on the back for Doing His Bit as he hurls his Ecuadorian grounds from his diesel van.

(I'm deliberately shitposting. No need to defend yourselves. I get it.)

Something like 1g CO2 per gram of paper and about 7g CO2 for Google search  :whistle:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal