UKBouldering.com

Serious Delirium - the coffee thread (Read 211942 times)

Paul B

• forum hero
I'd recommend the coffee recycling one, "tastes like cardboard, BAD cardboard"  :lol:

sdm

• forum abuser
The series on clear coffee drinks is also entertaining, although he took some of them down.

Hoffman's channel treads a good line between expert opinion and mass appeal entertainment. His more serious equipment reviews are useful: he goes out of his way to be impartial and doesn't shy away from criticising where it's due.

For the people who were considering buying hand grinders, he did some comparison videos of the budget and more expensive options that are worth watching. And he's done videos covering a lot of individual grinders.

For those who don't know him, he runs the Square Mile roaster in London. Not the cheapest, but good if you like sweet, fruit forward coffees.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
I keep thinking he looks like Steve Buschemi

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
I look forward to seeing people walking around Stanage sipping at their pipe packed full of the finest Colombian export.

I was at the plantation one time and a hipstery bloke was drinking maté from one of those things with a metal straw. Pretty much the same thing.

If you don’t drink coffee and don’t even really understand how it’s made that Michael Gove bloke’s videos are a pretty wild watch.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
I was pretty chuffed to have secured the coffee machine from work when we left the office for good due to Covid.
I helped choose it in the first place, so knew it makes excellent coffee - the Jura X8.

Looks good, is pretty big for just me and the wife, but also includes the chilled milk container, and makes a great espresso, euro-length coffee and flat whites.
Got it for £75 (plus a £300 service...), RRP of £3,000+
https://uk.jura.com/en/professional/machines/X8-Platin-INT-15191
(Still have a minor grumble there's no separate ground-coffee chute for the occasional decaf

We had one of these in the office at my previous employer - can vouch for it being excellent. £75 is a bargain!

jshaw

• addict
I have been drinking New Ground coffee ...

Thanks for the recommendation. Really good coffee & great company ethos.

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
I've just taken delivery of a Gaggia Classic Pro which seems awesome so far especially after the previous 2015 model got panned... I had the 2009 a few years ago and the quality then was excellent so I'm expecting more of the same.

I'm sure it's been done to death but I'm in the market for a decent grinder and thought I'd consult the UKB Massive for the latest knowledge.. if anyone has recommendations?
Also, I used to get  coffee from PACT but got a bit jaded with their offering, so if anyone has info on the best quality suppliers, Based in the North West ideally that would be great. I've not got sophisticated taste, the darker and muddier the better...?
Cheers :coffee:
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 05:38:58 pm by rginns »

tomtom

• forum hero
I like the beans I’ve had from neighbourhood coffee in Liverpool.

Their decaf espresso roast is excellent...

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
I've just taken delivery of a Gaggia Classic Pro which seems awesome so far especially after the previous 2015 model got panned... I had the 2009 a few years ago and the quality then was excellent so I'm expecting more of the same.

I'm sure it's been done to death but I'm in the market for a decent grinder and thought I'd consult the UKB Massive for the latest knowledge.. if anyone has recommendations?
Also, I used to get  coffee from PACT but got a bit jaded with their offering, so if anyone has info on the best quality suppliers, Based in the North West ideally that would be great. I've not got sophisticated taste, the darker and muddier the better...?
Cheers :coffee:

I just picked up a Lelit PL033 (catchy name) which, for purely espesso is a great choice. It's basically a repackaged Iberital MC2, which is pretty renowned as the best mid-range pure espresso grinder. My thoughts are - it's not as visually brutal in the flesh, it's not quiet, there's not quite enough space to move the portafilter round while grinding to distirbute....but....it's really nicely adjustable, small and (for what you get) quite good value.

I used to have a Cunill grinder, which was sturdy, huge, noisy and messy. Got it for £70 off ebay, and was pretty good, but the stepped adjustment always meant I was fighting to get dialled in (one notch could make the difference between an ok 30 second shot, and a watery 20 second one.)

The nice thing about the Lelit is that its conical burrs, so you can process a single dose of beans - flat burrs need some bean mass above to push down to get a consistent grind.

The Breville/Sage smart grinder is meant to be decent too.

I'm probably going to sell my mum's old Gaggia Classic if anyone wants a bargain, I could keep it off ebay and give it at a slightly below market rate?

sdm

• forum abuser
My tastes are more light, fruity and boozey than dark and roasty but I've had good beans from all of these. Most places will do an espresso blend that is on the darker side.

Mancoco - Manchester. They roast darker than some.
Neighborhood - Liverpool
Carvetti - Keswick
Django - Southport
Atkinsons - Lancaster
Exchange - Clitheroe, Blackburn and Skipton. They also roast a bit darker.

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
I have the ROK manual grinder: https://www.rok.coffee/ as part of my manual espresso making process and I really like it. Easy to grind quality espresso grounds and satisfying to use, also Hoffman rated it highly in his video too!

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds

I just picked up a Lelit PL033 (catchy name) which, for purely espesso is a great choice. It's basically a repackaged Iberital MC2, which is pretty renowned as the best mid-range pure espresso grinder. My thoughts are - it's not as visually brutal in the flesh, it's not quiet, there's not quite enough space to move the portafilter round while grinding to distirbute....but....it's really nicely adjustable, small and (for what you get) quite good value.

I used to have a Cunill grinder, which was sturdy, huge, noisy and messy. Got it for £70 off ebay, and was pretty good, but the stepped adjustment always meant I was fighting to get dialled in (one notch could make the difference between an ok 30 second shot, and a watery 20 second one.)

The nice thing about the Lelit is that its conical burrs, so you can process a single dose of beans - flat burrs need some bean mass above to push down to get a consistent grind.

The Breville/Sage smart grinder is meant to be decent too.

I'm probably going to sell my mum's old Gaggia Classic if anyone wants a bargain, I could keep it off ebay and give it at a slightly below market rate?

Nice! Thanks for the heads up!
Do you mean the PL043? If so it seems to get mixed reviews! Much happier to go with recommendations from people with personal experience though... The Breville seems to get universally good reviews, so definitely a contender.
Hope you shift the Gaggia, even the older machines give good value I reckon.

My tastes are more light, fruity and boozey than dark and roasty but I've had good beans from all of these. Most places will do an espresso blend that is on the darker side.

Mancoco - Manchester. They roast darker than some.
Neighborhood - Liverpool
Carvetti - Keswick
Django - Southport
Atkinsons - Lancaster
Exchange - Clitheroe, Blackburn and Skipton. They also roast a bit darker.

Great stuff, I'll give them a look - With Tomtom's shout that's two recommendations for Neighborhood , so will definitely be worth a look especially as they're down the road.

I have the ROK manual grinder: https://www.rok.coffee/ as part of my manual espresso making process and I really like it. Easy to grind quality espresso grounds and satisfying to use, also Hoffman rated it highly in his video too!

I hadn't considered a manual... :-\ I bet it's nice as part of the process if you have the time and I can imagine it being satisfying but running out of the door with three kids in tow to drop off at school it might slow me down!  :-\ food for thought though! :)

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
This one: https://www.bellabarista.co.uk/lelit-grinder-fred-pl043mmi.html

I saw a few mixed reviews too, but the bad ones seemed to be generally outweighed by the good ones. I was just keen on the micro-adjustment, as my old one was always hit and miss. I really wanted a Niche Zero but $$$$

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
I hadn't considered a manual... :-\ I bet it's nice as part of the process if you have the time and I can imagine it being satisfying but running out of the door with three kids in tow to drop off at school it might slow me down!  :-\ food for thought though! :)

Top of the line metal burr hand grinders are way faster than cheaper ones with ceramic burrs. But it's still a valid concern - pretty much the only time I fire up my electric grinder since I bought my 1zpresso is first thing in the morning on school days

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Time for some SCIENCE.

Time to grind one industry-standard aeropress scoop of beans, all on an approximately similar grind size suitable for a Hario V60 filter:

Electric (Ascaso i-Steel):               00:20
Posh hand grinder (1ZPresso):     00:35
Basic hand grinder (Rhinowares): 01:40

A significant chunk of the time on the Rhinowares being taken up shaking the thing to persuade the last few beans to actually drop down into the burrs.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 10:35:36 am by Muenchener »

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
All this chat of hand grinders is making me tempted to get one for camping trips etc...

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
Some great, quality discussion on the grinders here folks.

Thanks Muenchener for timing the hand grinder. Good to know.
Grind quality/£ must pit them very well against the electrics. Great idea for a present  :thumbsup:

I'll probably hold out for a decent electric grinder, but I'm aware of the shortcomings of the stepped grinders.
As I found my Gaggia Classic dumped in a hedge  :2thumbsup:
I've continued to dance along, shaking my Krups blade grinder for 40s. Investment here will improve things significantly, so keeping a keen eye out.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
More from the Hoff. The Bripe!
Warning. This is very funny  ;D

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
This should amuse most of you?

SA Chris

• forum hero
More from the Hoff. The Bripe!

Repost, but yes, very funny

tomtom

• forum hero

SA Chris

• forum hero
https://www.wacaco.com/

Anyone tried any of these? Looks like quite a neat piece of kit.

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
https://www.wacaco.com/

Anyone tried any of these? Looks like quite a neat piece of kit.

I'm sure it'll be fine, so long as you don't need to use W3W to find your brew spot.  ;)

I can't really see the benefit over just taking an aeropress or a flask of filter cofffee.

Ballsofcottonwool

• player
Looks similar to the  Handpresso I used before I quit my coffee habit. These hand pump gizmos brew a reasonable espresso if you don't mind drinking it cold or wearing oven gloves to use the things after you've preheated in hot water.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
This was recommended on the Serious Eats site, it looks pretty good to me,  has anyone tried it?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fellow-Prismo-AeroPress-Coffee-Attachment/dp/B079YBT2LJ

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal