UKBouldering.com

Serious Delirium - the coffee thread (Read 213791 times)

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#475 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
February 26, 2021, 11:08:29 pm
Any opinions on choosing between Krups Expert GVX231 or De’Longhi KG79 Burr Grinder?
If at all possible, I would up the budget slightly and get a Wilfa Svart. You can usually get one for a bit less than £100 but covid has reduced supplies so prices might have gone up slightly.

The Svart and the Baratza Encore are a huge step up from all of the other electric grinders at or below their price point. The Encore is usually more expensive than the Svart in the UK.

The black Svart is the newer model than the silver one and has a slower motor for a more even grind but the difference is minimal.

I presume this is for Aeropress/pour over/filter/Moka pot. There isn't an electric grinder anywhere close to that budget that is capable of doing even a passable job for espresso.

Hi thanks for the advice,  it is largely for an aeropress, moka or cafetiere. The ones you suggest are tempting,  but over twice the price of the delonghi or krups; is the difference between them that great?
 I have a hand burr grinder, (Hario I think) but it is a bit time consuming, although it effectively moderates coffee consumption by demanding more time and effort!

36chambers

• forum hero
#476 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
February 26, 2021, 11:30:18 pm
Those on supermarket beans - you might be better buying proper Italian espresso in bigger bags - those beans are *actually* intended to be somewhat "stale", and yet will still perform ok in a machine.  Whereas, supermarket stuff. Hmm...

If you're using an aeropress, or pourover and you have a grinder, you really should try to get a blend from a local roastery. Fresh beans make a world of difference!

You've got me questioning my expensive coffee machine and my cheap taste for dark roasted supermarket beans ;D

tomtom

• forum hero
#477 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
February 27, 2021, 07:52:58 am
I’ll give a shout out for the neighbourhood coffee company in Liverpool. Had a few bags of their beans over the lockdowns.

I would wholeheartedly recommend their decaf espresso beans. Decaf is a weird one - heresay for many - but really hard to find one that’s got a normal/great taste. This has.

Sidehaas

• stalker
#478 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
February 27, 2021, 08:30:21 am
I’ll give a shout out for the neighbourhood coffee company in Liverpool. Had a few bags of their beans over the lockdowns.

I would wholeheartedly recommend their decaf espresso beans. Decaf is a weird one - heresay for many - but really hard to find one that’s got a normal/great taste. This has.

Another really good one in this area is Crosby Coffee. Quite a bit more expensive than supermarket beans but very highly recommended. I get a monthly delivery from them. They also sell amazing coffee in the shop.

https://www.crosbycoffee.co.uk/

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#479 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
February 27, 2021, 09:46:08 am
Those on supermarket beans - you might be better buying proper Italian espresso in bigger bags - those beans are *actually* intended to be somewhat "stale", and yet will still perform ok in a machine.  Whereas, supermarket stuff. Hmm...

If you're using an aeropress, or pourover and you have a grinder, you really should try to get a blend from a local roastery. Fresh beans make a world of difference!

You've got me questioning my expensive coffee machine and my cheap taste for dark roasted supermarket beans ;D

I've not actually done this myself, and my espresso machine has been out of action for a while, so mainly just been doing aeroporess or v60 but I came across this thread which I found quite interesting in a technical / sciency type way:

https://www.home-barista.com/coffees/thoughts-on-italian-espresso-blend-t15360.html

Paul B

• forum hero
#480 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
February 27, 2021, 06:23:17 pm
If you're after some good roasters without breaking the bank, checkout Black Cat Coffee, Rave, James Gourmet and Coffee Compass. And Extract regularly do a good deal on one of their kilogram bags.

Thanks. I've given Rave a go for now. If anyone else is keen there's a referal option which gives people £5 off.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#481 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
February 28, 2021, 05:26:49 am
I got a Hario hand grinder for xmas (thanks Santa/my wife) and am still experimenting with different beans from supermarkets so thanks for the heads up DT!

Not at all impressed by the Lavazza Rosso, which is nothing like the ground version you buy (and I actually don't mind).

Gaz, would be great to know how you find the Hario. Great present  :2thumbsup:
I've considered buying one, or similar.

Have a go with Sainsbury's. Darker roast than many, so good through a machine. Otherwise, great to get some good tips here for alternative brands  :thumbsup:

Re grinders. The typical Krups, Delonghi are fine for Aeropress, cafetiere etc, but only deliver a grind for espresso machine on their finest couple of settings, so lack any meaningful adjustment.

I had been wondering of everyone had stopped drinking coffee. Apparently not!  ;D

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#482 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
February 28, 2021, 08:21:20 am
I have a hand burr grinder, (Hario I think) but it is a bit time consuming, although it effectively moderates coffee consumption by demanding more time and effort!

You could also consider a better hand grinder. I bought one from 1ZPresso last year that was getting good reviews to replace a Rhinowares that I had before as a travel grinder. I was expecting an improvement in grind quality - what I didn't expect was that it's also so much faster that doing the morning grind is no chore at all, and I use it home now more than my electric grinder.

(Being milled out of solid aluminium instead of pressed out of thin sheet steel, it also makes a considerably bigger dent in the baggage allowance when used for its intended purpose as a travel grinder)

Basically what you're not spending on a big powerful motor you can spend instead on the quality of the burrs and the precision of the alignment & adjustment. Meaning that a really good hand grinder can offer grind quality as good as basically anything out there, whilst costing in the same ballpark as the cheapest halfway decent electrics.

GazM

• forum abuser
    • Highland ramblings
#483 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
February 28, 2021, 09:29:25 am
Gaz, would be great to know how you find the Hario. Great present  :2thumbsup:
I've considered buying one, or similar.

Well, I really like it but it's the first time I've had a grinder so have nothing to compare it to. Reading this thread I clearly have a much less refined appreciation of the finer (or any) points of coffee making and enjoying so can't really comment on whether it's making me a 'better' brew. I certainly enjoy the additional ritual of grinding the beans.

I only grind 1 aeropress-worth at a time but can imagine that if I needed to grind a larger amount on a regular basis it would be a bit of a pain.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#484 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
February 28, 2021, 10:20:49 am
Hi Ged.

I feel dirty. It's been something I've considered talking about for a while, but found difficult.
I have milk in my coffee too. Two lattes first thing - or in the middle of the night, obviously.
I don't have a burr grinder
My Gaggia Classic is one I found chucked in a hedge (seriously!  ;D )
(although I made the typical mod of fitting a Rancilio steam wand)

It's alright. It's a darker roast than Lavazza - I'm going to have one now (1 a.m.) just to make sure  ;)

At £4.99 - or even £7.99 - it's better than a Barleycup and a brown bun at Stoney caf when I could afford nowt else.

Feel the shame, and buy some. Consider it aversion therapy - and a saving of £45, over fifty minutes with your counsellor.

It's not £15/227g single estate from your independent boutique rotisserie, but great if you want something for cheap/cheerful latte/Americano, and want to save some money.

I'd also recommend Sainsbury's espresso beans at £9/Kg.

I fancy another one now, but it is 1.30am .. fingerboard and handstands  ;D

I love coffee.

But I can’t be arsed with too much fuss.

I have an Exelvan pressured maker, that gives me exactly four shots, that get poured into 200ml of hot milk, every morning. It’s just kinder on my aging stomach. I tend to prefer Lavazza red, though like to have some differing, smaller brands for a bag or two, just to switch things up. There’s a Delonghi pod machine for quick access to a double shot, three of four times a day if I’m home. If I’m at the Bunker, I have access to the coffee making stuff there and the grinder, but, in truth, I’m fine with preground vacuum packed Lavazza and Costa or Starbucks pods (three very different flavours already).
I actually think it makes the odd “new” bean more of a treat.

galpinos

• forum hero
In the "shout out for local roasters" vibe:

Manchester - ManCoCo, I particularly like the Manchester Blend (you should be all over this tomtom, stop buying your beans from scousers)
Yorkshire - Darkwoods, I particularly like the Good Morning Sunshine, my wallet suffers though....

AMorris

• obsessive maniac
  • Trying to find form
I have been drinking New Ground coffee pretty much exclusively for ages now, it's the only thing I will ever put in my machine and what made me transition to strictly black coffee. It was started by my brother and his mate a few years back, as a social enterprise where they both import and roast their own coffee, and employ people who have been recently released from prison to give them an opportunity to get back on their feet. I can honestly say that pretty much all the best coffees I have ever drank have been from them, he knows his shit I will give him that (and being my brother, any compliment needs to be doubly earned).

And yes, although he did once give me a code for money off, I don't use it since it was something like "arthurisatwat"  :lol:

They are based in Oxford, where they have a cafe in their roastery. Not been there yet, but intend to when these things become possible again.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
Some great info about the hand grinders. Thank you. Definitely worth exploring.

I've just been recommended the standard Waitrose espresso beans, so I'll give them a go. Anyone tried them? I quite like the darker roast of the Sainsbury's beans. Absolutely fine as a "go to" regular.

Lidl have more of the bargain Italian espresso beans - I've just taken 4 bags back  :lol:

They're OK, but too much of an economisation even for me  ;D

RobK

• stalker
I have been drinking New Ground coffee pretty much exclusively for ages now, it's the only thing I will ever put in my machine and what made me transition to strictly black coffee.

Just had my first cup after ordering a bag of the house beans. I've been drinking my way found various roasteries and these are probably the best I've had (or on par with the San Fermin from Origin which they sadly don't seem to do any more). Thanks for the recommendation!

danm

• junky
Horsham's Brazil Inhame doing it for me at the minute, not cheap but I'm a one big morning cup a day guy anyway. Might look into getting a hand grinder, I had one years ago and liked the zen of it.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
Horsham's Brazil Inhame doing it for me at the minute, not cheap but I'm a one big morning cup a day guy anyway. Might look into getting a hand grinder, I had one years ago and liked the zen of it.

Met these guys at an event a couple of years ago. Nice hand grinders that fit into an aeropress, so pretty handy for camping etc.

https://www.madebyknock.com/

Paul B

• forum hero
The Rave beans recommendation in this thread is going down a treat here.

sdm

• forum abuser
(or on par with the San Fermin from Origin which they sadly don't seem to do any more).
Specialty coffee is seasonal. Very few single origin coffees are available all year round.

When a particular blend is available all year round, they usually change the beans throughout the year but try to maintain a similar flavour.

San Fermin is a regular at Origin, it will probably return in a few months.

RobK

• stalker
Of course, that makes sense, thanks!

Durbs

• forum hero
I was pretty chuffed to have secured the coffee machine from work when we left the office for good due to Covid.
I helped choose it in the first place, so knew it makes excellent coffee - the Jura X8.

Looks good, is pretty big for just me and the wife, but also includes the chilled milk container, and makes a great espresso, euro-length coffee and flat whites.
Got it for £75 (plus a £300 service...), RRP of £3,000+
https://uk.jura.com/en/professional/machines/X8-Platin-INT-15191
(Still have a minor grumble there's no separate ground-coffee chute for the occasional decaf)

Also shout-out to Chimney Fire Coffee who are my local roasters over in Dorking:
https://www.chimneyfirecoffee.com/

AMorris

• obsessive maniac
  • Trying to find form
Just in case anyone is in the market for a new way to look like a bellend whilst drinking your coffee

https://briping.com/?fbclid=IwAR0NKqewIk_LSxd9oIhIiXjhbQGazwkVUx17cnnIdhuSr-s5QXCPr0RPqvo

and a review

Watching this chap heat up a crack pipe full of coffee with a blowtorch gave me a good chuckle. I look forward to seeing people walking around Stanage sipping at their pipe packed full of the finest Colombian export.

tomtom

• forum hero
I thoroughly recommend watching that video. Its genius :D

It walks the delicate balance of taking it seriously and rampantly taking the piss perfectly...

AMorris

• obsessive maniac
  • Trying to find form
I thoroughly recommend watching that video. Its genius :D

It walks the delicate balance of taking it seriously and rampantly taking the piss perfectly...

Yeah I did enjoy it haha. Looking closer, it seems like the company originally made them as a bit of fun, but then got a load of orders because of this video. At least the coffee wanker brigade (which I am a proud card carrying member of) can take the piss out of itself nowdays  :lol:

Coops_13

• forum hero
    • YouTube
That is jokes, almost want one...

RobK

• stalker
I haven't seen this guy's stuff before but I started on my lunch break and I couldn't stop. About 6 minutes into this and I was absolutely howling.

His IKEA review is also very funny.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal