UKBouldering.com

Serious Delirium - the coffee thread (Read 213862 times)

36chambers

• forum hero
#450 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
January 04, 2019, 01:03:09 pm
I have a strong cup of tea first 😃

This is like when I need to have a snack before I can think about what to make for dinner.

tomtom

• forum hero
#451 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
January 04, 2019, 01:11:32 pm
I have a strong cup of tea first 😃

This is like when I need to have a snack before I can think about what to make for dinner.

😂

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#452 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
January 04, 2019, 01:17:44 pm

or before I go to the supermarket, to make sure I don't just end up with a trolley of carbs and steak!

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#453 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
January 08, 2019, 10:15:32 am
My issues / concerns seem to have all derived from not putting the plunger in straight away, and then pushing it down too soon once I did. Seems to be resolved  :dance1:

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#454 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
February 27, 2019, 01:30:10 pm
It's Alex the Barista, going solo on YouTube!

Not the career move we expected after your success at the Oscars, but good froth dude!

We'll take a couple of Yosemite Whites  :thumbsup:

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
Some ingenious ways of practicing latte art!

James Malloch

• forum hero
For those wanting to make sure they get their coffee fix, my local roastery is still doing deliveries!

https://www.northstarroast.com/

Really great coffee. If there’s a new fancy cafe opened near you in the last few years there’s a chance they will have been involved in the set up of it in some way. They also have grinders (hand and electric - I’ve got the Wilfa Svart which is great) and all the equipment you could need to keep getting ace coffee when everywhere is shut.

Free deliveries over £15 I think.

tomtom

• forum hero
I recently discovered (and purchased) a new Aeropress - which is portable - a little bit shorter) and collapses into its own mug. Nice bit of kit for making a brew outdoors...

Oh....

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
#458 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
February 24, 2021, 10:44:40 pm
Coffee deal at Lidl.  :dance1:

Espresso Magnifico 1Kg bags @ £4.99 each :great:

Starts tomorrow, but stock on shelves tonight. I picked up 5 bags, which for me is like going to Lidl to pick £20 off the floor. Maybe not up there with the very best, but the last discount was to £7.99, and I used all the stock that I bought then. Worth checking out, but be quick! BBE date is June 2022.

That mini Aeropress sounds worth checking out TomTom - a good present for someone, perhaps. I've found a couple of A/Ps in skips recently (seriously), so reasonably well sorted for a quick brew - now that I've got all this coffee!

Paul B

• forum hero
#459 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
February 25, 2021, 01:28:34 pm
I've just 'moved on' my Gaggia Classic to another UKBer and replaced it with a Sage Barista Express, I'm impressed but the pressure gauge quickly shows up the quality (or variability of) store bought beans!

Turboman

• addict
#460 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
February 25, 2021, 02:52:45 pm
I've just 'moved on' my Gaggia Classic to another UKBer and replaced it with a Sage Barista Express, I'm impressed but the pressure gauge quickly shows up the quality (or variability of) store bought beans!

Another Sage Barista Express owner! Took me ages to get consistent pressure from mine. I have to tamp it pretty hard to get consistent results. Very good results when it works. Down side is that it discourages changing bean type as it takes 250g to get it dialled in!

Paul B

• forum hero
#461 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
February 25, 2021, 02:55:01 pm
I have to admit to being lazy and buying Lavazza (four people in the house and we seem to rip through beans) and the first batch went through in the middle of the grind setting, whereas the second is on the finest (like you I went through 250g getting to that point) and barely getting pressure outside of the pre-infusion range!

Ged

• junky
#462 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
February 25, 2021, 04:45:23 pm
Coffee deal at Lidl.  :dance1:

Espresso Magnifico 1Kg bags @ £4.99 each :great:

Starts tomorrow, but stock on shelves tonight. I picked up 5 bags, which for me is like going to Lidl to pick £20 off the floor. Maybe not up there with the very best, but the last discount was to £7.99, and I used all the stock that I bought then. Worth checking out, but be quick! BBE date is June 2022.

That mini Aeropress sounds worth checking out TomTom - a good present for someone, perhaps. I've found a couple of A/Ps in skips recently (seriously), so reasonably well sorted for a quick brew - now that I've got all this coffee!

Is it any good Dave?  I've tried some of the cheaper espresso packs from Lidlyaldi before, and some have been absolutely disgusting.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
#463 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
February 26, 2021, 01:41:47 am
Hi Ged.

I feel dirty. It's been something I've considered talking about for a while, but found difficult.
I have milk in my coffee too. Two lattes first thing - or in the middle of the night, obviously.
I don't have a burr grinder
My Gaggia Classic is one I found chucked in a hedge (seriously!  ;D )
(although I made the typical mod of fitting a Rancilio steam wand)

It's alright. It's a darker roast than Lavazza - I'm going to have one now (1 a.m.) just to make sure  ;)

At £4.99 - or even £7.99 - it's better than a Barleycup and a brown bun at Stoney caf when I could afford nowt else.

Feel the shame, and buy some. Consider it aversion therapy - and a saving of £45, over fifty minutes with your counsellor.

It's not £15/227g single estate from your independent boutique rotisserie, but great if you want something for cheap/cheerful latte/Americano, and want to save some money.

I'd also recommend Sainsbury's espresso beans at £9/Kg.

I fancy another one now, but it is 1.30am .. fingerboard and handstands  ;D

GazM

• forum abuser
    • Highland ramblings
#464 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
February 26, 2021, 07:41:22 am
I got a Hario hand grinder for xmas (thanks Santa/my wife) and am still experimenting with different beans from supermarkets so thanks for the heads up DT!

Not at all impressed by the Lavazza Rosso, which is nothing like the ground version you buy (and I actually don't mind).

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#465 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
February 26, 2021, 07:51:19 am
Any opinions on choosing between Krups Expert GVX231 or De’Longhi KG79 Burr Grinder?

tomtom

• forum hero
#466 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
February 26, 2021, 08:03:34 am
Milk in coffee. It’s a tricky one isn’t it. I used to shun it, but am quite fond of a flat white/strong latte every now and then....

Dolly

• forum hero
#467 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
February 26, 2021, 08:58:11 am
If you’ve got a costco membership I’d recommend the San Francisco Bay beans (organic rainforest are my faves)
Actually from a roastary in S Wales. Dark and full but not bitter. Easily as good as Waitrose Italian blend.

Something a bit more reminded are Pellini blends in the darker roasts, but seem to be expensive everywhere
Just checked and 20% off Pellini at Ocado ATM

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#468 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
February 26, 2021, 09:10:03 am
Milk in coffee. It’s a tricky one isn’t it. I used to shun it, but am quite fond of a flat white/strong latte every now and then....

I really don't like milk in general (was vomit-inducingly intolerant as a kid). But, when I was doing a barista training course that I got given as a birthday present one year, I was forced to try the micro-foamed milk (where's my beard oil???) to see the difference between "spot on" and "too hot" - I can see why flat white's are popular!  Lovely creamy velvetiness but still nice strong coffee.

Those on supermarket beans - you might be better buying proper Italian espresso in bigger bags - those beans are *actually* intended to be somewhat "stale", and yet will still perform ok in a machine.  Whereas, supermarket stuff. Hmm...

If you're using an aeropress, or pourover and you have a grinder, you really should try to get a blend from a local roastery. Fresh beans make a world of difference!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#469 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
February 26, 2021, 09:11:43 am

I'm not opposed to a bit. Have you tried Oat Milk? https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/292990463 This is great in a frother. Lovely head, but not as milky as milk :)

Worth keep an eye on it, sometimes on special for a pound if you want to try it out.

sdm

• forum abuser
#470 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
February 26, 2021, 09:17:45 am
Any opinions on choosing between Krups Expert GVX231 or De’Longhi KG79 Burr Grinder?
If at all possible, I would up the budget slightly and get a Wilfa Svart. You can usually get one for a bit less than £100 but covid has reduced supplies so prices might have gone up slightly.

The Svart and the Baratza Encore are a huge step up from all of the other electric grinders at or below their price point. The Encore is usually more expensive than the Svart in the UK.

The black Svart is the newer model than the silver one and has a slower motor for a more even grind but the difference is minimal.

I presume this is for Aeropress/pour over/filter/Moka pot. There isn't an electric grinder anywhere close to that budget that is capable of doing even a passable job for espresso.

GazM

• forum abuser
    • Highland ramblings
#471 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
February 26, 2021, 09:38:03 am

If you're using an aeropress, or pourover and you have a grinder, you really should try to get a blend from a local roastery. Fresh beans make a world of difference!

Yeah. I've got a monthly subscription from Blue Coffee Box which always makes much nicer coffee, but at 2 cups a day they don't last long and I've got to use something else to tide me over between deliveries so currently just buy stuff in lidl or tesco. Will explore other options though.

James Malloch

• forum hero
#472 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
February 26, 2021, 09:51:22 am
If at all possible, I would up the budget slightly and get a Wilfa Svart. You can usually get one for a bit less than £100 but covid has reduced supplies so prices might have gone up slightly.

The Svart and the Baratza Encore are a huge step up from all of the other electric grinders at or below their price point. The Encore is usually more expensive than the Svart in the UK.

The black Svart is the newer model than the silver one and has a slower motor for a more even grind but the difference is minimal.

I presume this is for Aeropress/pour over/filter/Moka pot. There isn't an electric grinder anywhere close to that budget that is capable of doing even a passable job for espresso.

I'd agree with this - not that I'm an expert in any way. The Wilfa comes accredited with various things due to it's quality. My (old) local cafe also fit out other cafes and are one of the big (but independent) companies fitting out other independents.

They're very picky about what they sell and this is the only home electric grinder they recommended.

sdm

• forum abuser
#473 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
February 26, 2021, 09:27:26 pm

Yeah. I've got a monthly subscription from Blue Coffee Box which always makes much nicer coffee, but at 2 cups a day they don't last long and I've got to use something else to tide me over between deliveries so currently just buy stuff in lidl or tesco. Will explore other options though.
If you're after some good roasters without breaking the bank, checkout Black Cat Coffee, Rave, James Gourmet and Coffee Compass. And Extract regularly do a good deal on one of their kilogram bags.

Some other roasters that I like that are worth trying include Crankhouse, Coffee by the Casuals, Carvetti, Steampunk, Foundry, North Star, White Star, Square Mile, Assembly, Crafthouse, Yellow Bourbon, Django, Kiss the Hippo, Origin, Vagabond, Decadent Decaf.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#474 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
February 26, 2021, 10:47:22 pm
When I was last in the market for a grinder,  these Iberital grinders were highly regarded.

https://www.happydonkey.co.uk/product/iberital-mc2-auto-domestic-coffee-grinder/

They're pretty large and industrial but robust. Mine has been doing the business for years, though i'll admit I'm not an exacting user (flat whites with an aeropress or moka pot). Review here:

https://coffeeblog.co.uk/iberital-mc2-coffee-grinder-review/

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal