UKBouldering.com

Serious Delirium - the coffee thread (Read 214431 times)

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#75 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
August 20, 2012, 11:06:18 am
Yes!  very much so.

In fact, the receptors that react to coffee very quickly get used to the amount that you regularly drink and this becomes the new "baseline".

Regular drinkers will notice that rather than coffee giving them a "buzz" or any real stimulation,  they just won't feel "right" until they've had a coffee.

If you want to cut down or cut out coffee you will have top endure the withdrawal symptoms for a few days. I get them whenever I come back form offshore as I drink about 5 x as much coffee every day out there!

psychomansam

• forum hero
#76 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
August 20, 2012, 11:31:31 am
I'll second the above.

I've mainly managed to avoid these problems despite high caffeine intake levels by being intentionally non-routine in the way I drink tea/coffee. Sometimes I purposefully have no caffeine for a day or two (decaf ahoy) and the rest of the time, I just have no routine with when I have caffeine and mix it up with random decaf.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#77 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
August 20, 2012, 11:38:23 am
It's been suggested that much of the coffee "kick" isn't due to the caffeine's stimulant effects - it's that you're mitigating the lethargy and irritation of withdrawal.  Still, it's only a problem if you run out. 

I also recall hearing about a study where students were put on regimes of either coffee or milk and asked about their alertness.  Most of those on coffee spoke about "the buzz" and wakefulness.  Most of those on milk spoke about restfulness and being able to get a good nights sleep.... but half  the coffee drinkers had been given de-caff... and half the milk drinkers were on milk laced with caffeine.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#78 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
August 20, 2012, 12:25:22 pm
Hmm. If ever I do feel the need to give up I think I will try to taper off rather than go cold turkey. Can you get caffeine patches?

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#79 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
August 20, 2012, 09:14:57 pm
You're all mad, caffeine is a nasty drug. I'd rather a good dose of acid any day, look what it does to spiders in comparison to other "drugs"....

Normal

LSD

Mescaline/Peyote

Marijuana

Speed

Sleeping Pills

...and the one you're all craving for Caffeine

P.S. - I don't drink tea or coffee (but have dabbled with drugs a bit).
Tthat's cool you've got these images - they were published on the cover of the Independent in 1995 and as they say, a picture's worth a thousand island dressing. Or something. Have a wad for your archiving skills. (the sleeping pills were chloral hydrate btw)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#80 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
August 30, 2012, 07:32:07 pm
Been really enjoying the Aeropress and haven't had a cup of instant since it arrived - finding upside down method most controllable but it's fun to experiment with methods / timings and see what works.

I ordered a selection pack from The York Coffee Emporium all of which has been first rate but since the whole mail-order thing is a bit of a pain not to mention the cost of postage - was wondering if there's anywhere in Sheffield that roasts their own beans for sale?  Pollards used to but have gone wholesale only - is there anywhere else local or am I stuck with mail order?

fatkid2000

• junky
#81 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
August 30, 2012, 08:11:05 pm
Pollards have re-opened on ecclesall road - not been in the new place, but they may be worth a try?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#82 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
August 30, 2012, 08:12:19 pm

Ah good, didn't realise that, I'll take a look - whereabouts on Eccy Road?

fatkid2000

• junky
#83 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
August 30, 2012, 08:26:41 pm
Hunters bar roundabout end near the Thai restaurants.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#84 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
August 30, 2012, 08:48:44 pm

Cheers, still got some York Emporium baggies to get through but will go down and have a look next week sometime...

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#85 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
August 31, 2012, 07:24:33 am
Tthat's cool you've got these images - they were published on the cover of the Independent in 1995 and as they say, a picture's worth a thousand island dressing. Or something. Have a wad for your archiving skills. (the sleeping pills were chloral hydrate btw)

Apparently the quantities given to the spiders were enormous; enough to have resulted in overdose if given to a human proportionately.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#86 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
September 22, 2012, 12:01:04 am
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 08:43:49 am by Bubba »

andy popp

• forum hero
#87 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
September 22, 2012, 07:59:16 am
If anyone NW based hasn't yet stumbled across them Atkinsons of Lancaster is the bloody business ... http://www.thecoffeehopper.com/page/95/atkinsons.htm

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#88 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
September 22, 2012, 08:31:31 am

there's someone who's been watching a bit too much Breaking Bad - this "POV" montage is fantastic:

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#89 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
October 29, 2012, 08:02:35 pm
With all this talk about the Aeropress, on the other thread,and here, it got me thinking, is there a decent coffee shop in Sheffield? York's Coffee Emporium sounds good, but is there somewhere in Shefside? Pollards sound a bit too wholesale.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 08:12:34 pm by Drew »

rich d

• forum hero
#90 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
October 29, 2012, 08:24:04 pm
Anyone got any recommendations for decent coffee in Nottingham for the espresso at home?

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#91 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
October 29, 2012, 11:12:23 pm
With all this talk about the Aeropress, on the other thread,and here, it got me thinking, is there a decent coffee shop in Sheffield? York's Coffee Emporium sounds good, but is there somewhere in Shefside? Pollards sound a bit too wholesale.

As in for beans? Bragazzi on Abbeydale does a bloody good coffee... but don't know if they sell any raw product

I am pretty sure I have got some good beans from Northern Tea Merchant in Chesterfield (although they are obviously more tea-orientated). Don't know other than that though... I'd like to know too!

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#92 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
October 30, 2012, 12:39:28 am
Beans yes (preferably roasted for me), but also the tools of the trade. Maybe an Aeropress stockist?

butterworthtom

• stalker
    • Incoherent Rambling's of a Lakes Boulderer
#93 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
October 30, 2012, 10:59:39 am
If anyone NW based hasn't yet stumbled across them Atkinsons of Lancaster is the bloody business ... http://www.thecoffeehopper.com/page/95/atkinsons.htm

:agree:
Best coffee shop I have ever been in. They also have a cafe called "the music room". They know their shit.

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#94 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
October 30, 2012, 01:47:33 pm
As I'm sure most Merseyside residents know already, this place is really good.

http://www.boldstreetcoffee.co.uk/

Also sold at the Hangar, I believe?

psychomansam

• forum hero
#95 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
October 30, 2012, 03:03:00 pm
http://www.hasbean.co.uk/

or if you're feeling rich: http://shop.squaremilecoffee.com/ (their bags are 350g, still expensive, but prob the best espresso roaster in the country, now stocked in most decent indie coffee shops in london)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Just got a leaflet for this Sheffield place through the door - Can't find an address so not sure if there's a retail outlet - anyone tried it?

http://www.foundrycoffeeroasters.com/

underground

• forum hero
1. Do they actually roast the bean
2. The webshop doesn't work
3. Do they roast the fuckin bean?

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
1. Do they actually roast the bean
2. The webshop doesn't work
3. Do they roast the fuckin bean?

According to their website:

30th November – We’re doubing our efforts. From mid-December we’ll be roasting on two days each week.

That would appear to answer questions 1 & 3 then....  ;)

Oh and the shop does seem to work for me at least - £9.99 for 350g of Espresso means I haven't tested it for the actual purchasing of goods though!  :o Makes me wonder if it comes with a nice man who is going to make the coffee for me!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 08:07:36 am by butters »

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Yeah, it does seem a bit steep. 

I'm all for supporting a local business but when York Coffee Emporium are offering 500g for the same money it makes me think twice.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal