the shizzle > food & drink

Serious Delirium - the coffee thread

<< < (114/114)

Paul B:

--- Quote from: James Malloch on May 14, 2023, 09:07:36 pm ---It’s making me want a home espresso setup now - if only we had a bigger kitchen…

--- End quote ---

The Sage Bambino from what I understand is just the Express with the grinder removed and it's a fairly small footprint. If you can fit it, and a hand grinder in your cupboard then the footprint could be pretty small?

We also went for the Express as it actually fits (just) underneath the overhead cabinets where other grinders were quite a lot taller (or significantly more £££ - Niche).

I'm still really enjoying Rave Coffee which was recommended to me on here too.

sdm:
1zpresso are generally the go to for a good quality, budget friendly hand grinder.

Commandante with redclix is another good option.

It's worth noting that some people find hand grinding for espresso to be quite a chore, especially with light roasted beans which are denser and more work than darker roasted beans. Some people are fine with it.

To get a similar quality in an electric grinder is going to cost a few hundred quid extra unless you get a good second hand deal. There's been quite a lot of good quality, budget friendly grinders released in recent months, which James Hoffman's channel hasn't reviewed (yet?). Other channels like Lance Hedrick, Kyle Rowsel and RealSprometheus (if you can tolerate the editing) have covered reviews of pretty much everything out there.

Bean to cup is for someone who wants reasonable espresso at home with minimal effort (i.e. not looking for a new hobby). You don't get the same control over all of the variables of brewing. A well dialed in espresso machine and grinder will always lead to better results than if you spend the same amount on a bean to cup machine. If the goal is something that beats Starbucks / Costa, then decent beans in a bean to cup will achieve that. If the goal is to match/exceed the espresso of a good specialty coffee shop, then a bean to cup won't cut it.

Bean to cup also aren't upgradeable if you end up going further down the fancy coffee rabbit hole.

If you aren't interested in steamed milk drinks, then you can get excellent quality espresso at a reasonable price from manual lever espresso machines like the Flair or the Cafelat Robot.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version