UKBouldering.com

Serious Delirium - the coffee thread (Read 215136 times)

fried

• forum hero
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003WT15TQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

I ordered this today for the missus. No idea if it's any good, but the reviews look O.K. and the price is right. Maybe try the hario hand grinder to get an idea of the difference (if any) from the blade grinder.

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
    • http://www.darkpeakimages.co.uk
By way of contrast I have the de longhi one and have exactly the same comments. Just slightly too course a grind for a good espresso.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
Coffee grinders​...

ukB opinion on these two please:

https://www.johnlewis.com/krups-gvx2-expert-coffee-grinder/p230843325

https://www.johnlewis.com/de-longhi-kg79-coffee-grinder/p507144

For use mainly with an aeropress. I have a krupps blade grinder at the moment moment, which is OK but I wonder if I'll really notice the difference between it and a burr grinder?

I have the Krups but just use it as a spice grinder. Echo other's comments that it'll be fine for Aeropress but probably not up to the job for espresso.

Could you get some of your normal beans ground by one of the UKB team and see if you taste the difference?  Taste is king!

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
Coffee grinders​...

ukB opinion on these two please:

https://www.johnlewis.com/krups-gvx2-expert-coffee-grinder/p230843325

https://www.johnlewis.com/de-longhi-kg79-coffee-grinder/p507144

For use mainly with an aeropress. I have a krupps blade grinder at the moment moment, which is OK but I wonder if I'll really notice the difference between it and a burr grinder?

I have the Krups but just use it as a spice grinder. Echo other's comments that it'll be fine for Aeropress but probably not up to the job for espresso.

Could you get some of your normal beans ground by one of the UKB team and see if you taste the difference?  Taste is king!

Full disclosure: I have a burr grinder but a hand operated hario one. I'm a bit lazy, especially before work! I think there is a noticeable difference but it's not huge with an aeropress. Basically wondering if a sub £50 burr electric grinder is worth it, or whether I'd have to spend more to get a noticeable difference. It's sounding like I may as well stick with what I have for the moment, or just buy decent ready ground for before work.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
Just whap a cordless drill on the hario. Bearings won't last long though ;-)

Paul B

• forum hero
Toby, I bought a Bodum bistro (perhaps I've mentioned it above in this thread somewhere), and so did Peewee. His was fairly inconsistent right from the start (and has been sidelined) and mine requires re-building regularly; I wish I'd just spent a bit more up-front (it was circa £50).

andy_e

• forum hero

I don't actually like Laynes' espresso though; too bitter for me.

Glad I've found someone else who thinks this - I find their stuff way too astringent, really don't get why people rave about them so much.

I actually exclaimed out loud (to myself...) "this is disgusting" drinking a Laynes' long black for the first time the other day. Horribly bitter and completely overpowering any coffee flavour.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
This is worth sharing.

I picked up a Hitachi burr grinder the other day - £2.49 from my local Barnardo's charity shop  :2thumbsup:

However, this sort of grinder generally doesn't deliver the fine espresso "dust" required, even on the finest grind setting.

I found an easy hack, to adjust the gap between the burrs. Seemed well worth risking my £2.49 for.

Easy, and works a treat. Took me four shims of slightly higher gauge tin foil. There are plenty of typical domestic grinders out there for not a lot of money, which are easily adjustable in this way. There are other hacks possible, but typically involve taking the machine apart.

Would add pics, but haven't sussed the new flickr set up yet.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
Bit of a long shot.

Does anyone in Sheffield use a Gaggia Classic or Baby?

I found this yesterday:

Latest in a long line of ubiquitous discarded electric homeware items  :2thumbsup:

Plugged it in and it seems to be working fine.

Unfortunately it's missing the portafilter. Wondering if anyone has one that I could borrow for an afternoon, to make sure it's fully functioning before I splash out (as in actually part with cash) on a new one.

Dave.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
#434 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
September 12, 2018, 07:47:46 pm
Well, I took a punt on a new portafilter for the Gaggia Classic (above). Also bought the Rancilio Silvia steam arm, which is a great improvement, if anyone is interested.

I think I'll sell the Delonghi:

It's in great condition and produces pretty good results. The actual coffee basket is from another compatible machine, and works perfectly.

£15 if anyone is interested. Sheffield.

:2thumbsup:

PM me I guess. I'll keep an eye out for any replies too.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
#435 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
September 12, 2018, 09:43:54 pm
Sale agreed.

Great stuff Andy

:2thumbsup:

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
#436 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
October 16, 2018, 07:55:29 pm
This is my old Breville machine. Free to a good home.

I was using this to make really good milk for latte art. The machine is branded "Hitachi" but it was made by Breville. It uses the same steam system as that on the Breville/Sage Barista Express.

The ring holding the portafilter in place has cracked, so will need to be replaced if you want to make coffee with it too - which it does very well. That will be a really easy and cheap fix, if you have a friend in the States who could post over the part - minus the £35 postal fee! I have some spare seals for the portafilter.

Would be good to see it used. Owt for Nowt  ;D

Dave.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#437 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
October 17, 2018, 08:36:27 am
On a similarly value orientated note, I'm a Hario V6 advocate now, but not when it comes to paying £6 for a box of 60 filters.

If anyone's got one, and also lives near a Morrison's, the branch near me at least was clearing out their own-brand paper coffee filters, which with a bit of origami fit the V6 fine.

I got two boxes of 80 for the princely sum of 8p a box!

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#438 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
January 03, 2019, 08:34:31 pm
Hi guys, I'm tentatively back on the proper coffee as it seems my innards can handle it in moderation. I've been mixing normal and de-caf grounds for half-caf which seems sensible.

I have an Aeropress, and two questions:

1. The boiling water seems to seep through the bottom filter quickly before I start pressing - is this normal? Any brewing tips related to this?

2. One seems to have to press down with rather a lot of force. How many people explode mugs using an Aeropress?

Ta  :icon_beerchug:

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#439 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
January 03, 2019, 08:40:24 pm
Load the aeropress the other way up as per vid below, no leakage whilst it's steeping this way.

Not broken any mugs yet, maybe your grind is a bit fine if you're struggling to press the plunger?

joel182

• obsessive maniac
#440 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
January 03, 2019, 08:45:34 pm
I generally use an 'inverted method' described in this article

fried

• forum hero
#441 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
January 04, 2019, 08:28:20 am

2. One seems to have to press down with rather a lot of force. How many people explode mugs using an Aeropress?

Ta  :icon_beerchug:

Are you using paper of a metal filter? If paper then you're just weak as a kitten.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#442 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
January 04, 2019, 08:44:08 am

2. One seems to have to press down with rather a lot of force.

In my experience this is totally dependent on the Aeropress itself. Mine is comparatively easy to press down but when I use others it feels desperate. The coffee that emerges seems fine either way to my uneducated taste! As others have said the inverted method should fix the seepage issue.

tomtom

• forum hero
#443 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
January 04, 2019, 08:52:01 am
For mine removing the filter cap/head etc.. whilst it’s hot (just used) is really hard/stiff. But if I leave it for 5 min to cool it’s easy.

Much neater than a cafetière you’re left with a puck of coffee for the recycling bin.

I’ve also never had any leakage going from inverted to pressing position (no need for cup over the top when flipping).

As spider monkey said - it all seems to taste the same no matter what method I use :)

I also use regular pre ground filter coffee (Tesco french toast is my favourite - aldi/Lidl french is very similar.

Ballsofcottonwool

• player
#444 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
January 04, 2019, 09:30:11 am

In my experience this is totally dependent on the Aeropress itself. Mine is comparatively easy to press down but when I use others it feels desperate.

Force needed to depress the plunger depends on grind, filter type and most importantly how worn the rubber seal is. First time I wore the seal out completely the coffee rushed up past the bung making quite a mess. I drink 3 cups a day and find I need to buy a new seal every 1-2 years.

36chambers

• forum hero
#445 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
January 04, 2019, 10:35:45 am

In my experience this is totally dependent on the Aeropress itself. Mine is comparatively easy to press down but when I use others it feels desperate.

Force needed to depress the plunger depends on grind, filter type and most importantly how worn the rubber seal is. First time I wore the seal out completely the coffee rushed up past the bung making quite a mess. I drink 3 cups a day and find I need to buy a new seal every 1-2 years.

Mine only seem to last about 2 years too.

With regards to the inverted method, it's too much faff for my liking. You can just insert the plunger as soon as possible and it will hold the water in place till you're ready to plunge.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
#446 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
January 04, 2019, 11:09:27 am

With regards to the inverted method, it's too much faff for my liking. You can just insert the plunger as soon as possible and it will hold the water in place till you're ready to plunge.

Turning over something weighing a few grams being too much faff suggests that you are drinking coffee before your fine motor skills are working  :lol:

36chambers

• forum hero
#447 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
January 04, 2019, 12:22:04 pm

Turning over something weighing a few grams being too much faff suggests that you are drinking coffee before your fine motor skills are working  :lol:

It's too many degrees of freedom for me to handle at the best of times.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#448 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
January 04, 2019, 12:32:53 pm

That is indeed the problem. You need to go through these complicated procedures to make a nice coffee, but you need that coffee before coping with those procedures!!

tomtom

• forum hero
#449 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
January 04, 2019, 12:51:44 pm
I have a strong cup of tea first 😃

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal