UKBouldering.com

Serious Delirium - the coffee thread (Read 213389 times)

psychomansam

• forum hero
#25 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
February 04, 2011, 08:57:26 am
what the fuck do I know? I suspect brewing coffee is the same as audio set ups - you get to to certain point where it is noticeably better and then proceed to chuck lots more money at it for ever diminishing increases.

Even having said all that I really would like a random device that looks like a penis pump and a Gaggia and all that stuff.

Yea, if you get into home espresso it gets stupid. On the other hand if you just want good coffee, getting a basic burr grinder, or even the hand grinder one like i linked above = £30 and you can get a hario cone and papers for about a tenner or a swissgold filter for the same. Aeropress is only £20 odd. These can all do great coffee.

If you wanna make geekily good coffee, you could improve things with a thermometer £4? some scales accurate  to a gram, £10 and a timer (£on your phone/watch etc) Still not expensive

If you want good espresso, move to london (actually there's a great place in leeds). If you do want home espresso, like people have said, you can get half decent results from a gaggia classic. The problem with home espresso is generally consistency in temp/pressure, and consistency and uniformity of your grind. Big shop machines are much more stable and consistent. It's crazy how much difference this shit can make. Even brewing at different times of day when voltage is different can make a difference. mental!

psychomansam

• forum hero
#26 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
February 04, 2011, 09:05:27 am
If you use a stovetop, you should really stop wasting your money on Illy and just put some nescafe in it. At least you can't defile nescafe any more.

*This is because stovetops burn the holy shit out coffee. In comparison, a blade grinder would be cuddly to the poor beans

I love your level of enthusiasm for coffee, it's brightening up my morning. I'm going to get the espresso machine out and do a blind taste comparison between that and the stove top. I like the stove top though because we have a 9 cupper and it makes two perfect mugs of 'blow your cock off' coffee.

Been a while since i did any blind tastings, great fun tho. Incidentally, that stove top coffee will probably send you blind permanently. brilliant.

When i got my last espresso machine, a hand-lever la pavoni, i pulled myself 7 doubles, thought about what i'd just done, went and sat down, and then got a nose bleed. Good times 

Very jealous, i can hardly drink black coffee these days cos my stomach is fooked, presumably from abusing alcohol a few years back. I produce days worth of excess acid at the sight of black coffee. Should really see the doctor.

Which brings me to another point, stop putting cow juice and plant sap in your coffee, all of you, now!

:spank:

chris05

• forum abuser
#27 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
February 04, 2011, 09:24:37 am

Illy I find a bit overrated (and not just when drunk at home) the stuff I've currently got; Malongo (purchased in France) is far far better.

:agree: I dont know about Malongo but have found Illy to be over-rated both at home and out. I like the sound of grinding my own beans etc but as I can only do it on the weekends, if it is that much better I wont enjoy my cafetiere coffee so much in the week!

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#28 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
February 04, 2011, 10:17:40 am
I beg to differ on the stove top coffee - yes, it's not espresso and never will be, but it's still pretty drinkable (much bette than the flavia machine pish we get at work).

If you pull it off the stove the second you hear the first gurgle of steam coming through and pour it's not burnt or bitter. Do you have a gas or electric cooker? I find it always burns on an electric...

There doesn't seem to be a decent "mid-range" grinder - I've got a Duallit burr grinder which was about £50 when I got it abut has gone up to about £70 now. The next step up is about £150!

Davey_C

• regular
#29 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
February 04, 2011, 11:18:21 am
I beg to differ on the stove top coffee - yes, it's not espresso and never will be, but it's still pretty drinkable (much bette than the flavia machine pish we get at work).

If you pull it off the stove the second you hear the first gurgle of steam coming through and pour it's not burnt or bitter. Do you have a gas or electric cooker? I find it always burns on an electric...

I agree with this too, as long as you take it off the heat as soon as it starts to steam then its fine.
I use the smallest ring on a gas hob.

I also use a blade grinder, but I might look into an alternative - I never realised this was such as issue.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#30 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
February 04, 2011, 11:40:29 am
...actually there's a great place in leeds...

Do tell??

butterworthtom

• stalker
    • Incoherent Rambling's of a Lakes Boulderer
#31 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
February 04, 2011, 12:44:48 pm
Psychomansam:
I don't mean to be rude  :hug: but I am finding your aggressive coffee elitism rather grinding (pun intended). I know that all the information you are doling out is good, but at the same time dictating coffee perfection is kind of insulting. While a rich espresso made to perfection is fantastic, a cafe-au-lait in france is also excellent. Perhaps not in the same league in terms of quality.
I know that there are many unsatisfactory ways of drinking coffee, such as any coffee from any coffee shop in Sheffield (I'm yet to find a good one). But coffee via a cafetiere or a percolator is definitely satisfying. A percolator is also the best way of having coffee at a crag.

For good coffee, try here: http://www.atkinsonsteaandcoffee.co.uk/
I particularly rate the espresso lusso, just the smell of it makes me hungry for coffee.

rich d

• forum hero
#32 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
February 04, 2011, 01:20:41 pm
The Leeds place is La Bottega Milanese next to aire bar in the calls. Fantastic coffee, small, personal and friendly service and pretty cheap too.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#33 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
February 05, 2011, 10:26:06 am
I'm currently on the Hot Lava Java which is like rocket fuel, is there anything similar to try for a change?

Just bought bag of this, didn't think it was any stronger than any other coffee i have drunk.
Just ordered a Gaggia Classic though.  ;D

benpritch

• forum abuser
#34 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
February 05, 2011, 11:17:15 am
just thought i'd put in a vote for cafetieres/french presses or whatever. i find them great for making large quantities of black coffee. the biggest improvement in the coffee i have noticed is from using freshly ground coffee, keeping the press very very clean and not using boiling water.

psychomansam

• forum hero
#35 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
February 05, 2011, 11:20:40 am
...actually there's a great place in leeds...

Do tell??

Ignore rich d  :kiss2:

http://www.oppositecafe.co.uk/

I think their stall has more of a fine coffee bias than their shop which is more studenty, but not actually been in the shop.

Mind you the woman who owns/runs the business is very nice and also gorgeous, so maybe you should go to the shop...

Proper (competition) baristas and proper fine coffee. hasbean and square mile i believe.

http://www.leedsguide.co.uk/review/lightly-grilled/louisa-henry-opposite-cafe/10930

http://www.them-apples.co.uk/2009/12/opposite-coffee-leeds-redux/
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 11:34:18 am by psychomansam »

psychomansam

• forum hero
#36 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
February 05, 2011, 11:31:32 am
Psychomansam:
I don't mean to be rude  :hug: but I am finding your aggressive coffee elitism rather grinding (pun intended). I know that all the information you are doling out is good, but at the same time dictating coffee perfection is kind of insulting. While a rich espresso made to perfection is fantastic, a cafe-au-lait in france is also excellent. Perhaps not in the same league in terms of quality.
I know that there are many unsatisfactory ways of drinking coffee, such as any coffee from any coffee shop in Sheffield (I'm yet to find a good one). But coffee via a cafetiere or a percolator is definitely satisfying. A percolator is also the best way of having coffee at a crag.

For good coffee, try here: http://www.atkinsonsteaandcoffee.co.uk/
I particularly rate the espresso lusso, just the smell of it makes me hungry for coffee.

Well that's fair enough. Most people feel the same way if people go on about fine wine. They just want a fairly inoffensive/tasty way of getting their alcohol/caffeine kick. That's fine for most people, but i don't think there's any harm in giving out tips to those who might be interested. If you're not interested, that's dandy. It's a passion of mine and a hobby, and maybe i tend to be a bit prescriptive, but so what. Think about 90% of the posts on this forum, they're aimed at peopled obsessed with climbing/bouldering, excellent ethics, and high end performance goals etc etc. To the rest of the world we're all tossers. Trust me, i'm happy to be the tosser with the best coffee. Although, technically, steve is (he's also a hero) http://www.inmymug.com/

Sheffield pisses me off too, i love it in most ways, but jesus, the coffee. have considered trying to open a shop but currently decided to choose life instead. There are a couple of half decent options though, will post if i get time later

butterworthtom

• stalker
    • Incoherent Rambling's of a Lakes Boulderer
#37 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
February 05, 2011, 01:24:13 pm
Please do.  :goodidea: Would be interested to know. People go on about PJ taste, but tbh I thought it was a bit shit.

I see you are clearly obsessed with coffee, and I wasn't suggesting you are a tosser. The best advice you could offer to us mere coffee mortals would be how to achieve the best results with a meager sum of money. I seriously doubt I will be getting a commercial machine plumbed into my (student) house any time soon.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#38 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
February 05, 2011, 03:11:23 pm
just thought i'd put in a vote for cafetieres/french presses or whatever.

When I'm making large quantities for "long" coffees I just use a filter cup - a plastic enclosure for a paper filter that can be balanced on top of a mug or a jug.  Gives a slightly cleaner taste than a french press - which can give nice coffee but can sometimes taste a bit earthy.  Easier to clean too.

underground

• forum hero
#39 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
February 05, 2011, 05:22:37 pm
I'm really enjoying filter coffee at present, I got a Krups machine for a tenner on eBay that does filter and espresso, and a Krups burr grinder for 30 quid- no idea if it's a good one or not but beans go in and come out ground! I have no idea how coarse or finely ground the end result should be, and haven't had much joy finding an online idiots guide to coffee.

psychomansam

• forum hero
#40 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
February 06, 2011, 01:45:28 am
I'm really enjoying filter coffee at present,

haven't had much joy finding an online idiots guide to coffee.

http://www.coffee101.co.uk/

As far as fineness of the grind goes, there's some good advice there, but the best thing to do is experiment when you've got a half hour spare. If it goes wrong, in the bin, try again. Coffee is, compared to most addictions, pretty cheap (as long as you make it yourself)

filter = cheap and great. Try getting yourself a swissgold filter from ebay, probably about 15quid. See how that affects things. or if you're using a plastic filter, try paper instead

Bunchuk

• Climber Magazine
#41 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
February 06, 2011, 10:29:17 am
Psychomansam:

Wow man, and I thought I was into Coffee! As luck would have it I'm currently writing a lifestyle piece for Climber on Crag Coffee: just wondering would it be ok for me to include some of the links you've mentioned on here in that feature? I’m also trying to get a few climbing + coffee stories to brighten it up, so if anybody has any interesting tales I’d love to here them :thumbsup:

Cheers!

Jamie

psychomansam

• forum hero
#42 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
February 06, 2011, 12:36:11 pm
Go for it.

Can't say I really have any coffee&crag stories. I normally drink mine beforehand, or more often from a mug while driving down b roads at 70mph to the crag. Very sensible i know

Bunchuk

• Climber Magazine
#43 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
February 06, 2011, 01:48:09 pm
Thanks  :)

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
#44 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
February 10, 2011, 10:47:24 pm
As a follow up.

I purchased an aeropress out of curiosity and weas rewarded with an amazing Double espresso and americano experience.

Far better than from the caffetiere and using the exact same bog standard lavazza!

Looking forward to testing out the several flavas of bean purchased from has bean when I get back from a trip away this weekend!

psychomansam

• forum hero
#45 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
February 10, 2011, 11:37:06 pm
Glad to hear that, good stuff!

The aeropress is quite forgiving, but even so, be prepared to experiment and be a little patient with it.

Try any quantity of water/grounds you like, don't worry about the guidelines. And you can even try brewing upside down - screwing the bottom on last - if you like

p.s. If you have any friends leaving europe, try to get them to bring you back some cheap vallium.

underground

• forum hero
#46 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
February 10, 2011, 11:38:56 pm
As a follow up.

I purchased an aeropress out of curiosity and weas rewarded with an amazing Double espresso and americano experience.

Far better than from the caffetiere and using the exact same bog standard lavazza!

Looking forward to testing out the several flavas of bean purchased from has bean when I get back from a trip away this weekend!
I really rate my aeropress - I've previously not had the best out of mine by using quite coarse coffee in it that we had for the cafetiere - I reckon it needs a fine grind to allow the slow speed of press people seem to recommend on the 'net - i.e they say sit for 30 secs, upside etc etc. but it starts dripping through the paper as soon as I was adding the water with the coarse ground stuff, so now I have a grinder I'll try again.

psychomansam

• forum hero
#47 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
February 10, 2011, 11:54:33 pm
As a follow up.

I really rate my aeropress - I've previously not had the best out of mine by using quite coarse coffee in it that we had for the cafetiere - I reckon it needs a fine grind to allow the slow speed of press people seem to recommend on the 'net - i.e they say sit for 30 secs, upside etc etc. but it starts dripping through the paper as soon as I was adding the water with the coarse ground stuff, so now I have a grinder I'll try again.

You're right in that it tends to work better with a finer grind, but if it helps, try the inverted method. Stick the pump slightly in, turn it upside down on the kitchen surface, put in coffee, then water, then scew the 'bottom' on, leave for a couple mins, turn right way up onto a mug.
Youtube has vids

underground

• forum hero
#48 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
February 11, 2011, 12:13:15 am
You're right in that it tends to work better with a finer grind, but if it helps, try the inverted method. Stick the pump slightly in, turn it upside down on the kitchen surface, put in coffee, then water, then scew the 'bottom' on, leave for a couple mins, turn right way up onto a mug.
Youtube has vids
:goodidea:

I did try that - didn't put the pump in far enough though so ended up with hot hands, legs and feet, a filthy kitchen and wasted coffee!

Bit further next time....

sjw

• obsessive maniac
#49 Re: Serious Delirium - the coffee thread
February 11, 2011, 08:08:26 am
Also inspired by this thread, I'm getting a Chemex in few weeks (birthday). I'll report back with the results.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal